Products you added to your system in 2021 that made most impact to your music enjoyment

As 2021 comes to an end, just thought it would be cool to share some of the most impactful audio upgrades in your system this year?
Here’s my top 5 list…

1. Pass Labs XP-12: Upgrade path was from Rogue RP-1 to Rogue RP-5 and then to Pass XP-12 that was the final touch. Huge improvements across the board. Mates well with my Rogue ST-100 tube amp.

2. Phono Cartridge: Goldring E3 MM to Hana EL MC. Clarity, presentation, dynamics in spades!

3. Phono Pre: From the built in phono pre in RP-1 and RP-5 to MoFi UltraPhono to Sutherland KC Vibe MkII. Lowered noise floor, increased resolution, dynamics. The KC Vibe MkII is almost double the cost of the MoFi and it’s the one of the few upgrades where an improvement was proportional to the cost difference. At least in my system. Records that seemed noisy become more listenable. A great little phono pre. 

4. Audience AU24sx speaker cables. These speaker cables are a clear window into a recording. Nothing hidden, nothing exaggerated. 

5. Power Cords: Acoustic Zen Gargantua for preamp and amp. Lower noise floor, increased resolution, natural sound, expanded soundstage

Honorable mentions:

1. Acoustic Zen Absolute Copper interconnects. In my opinion the AZ cables don’t get the respect they deserve on these forums anymore, overshadowed by some of the “flavor of the day” newcomers (without going into specifics on brands).

2. Puritan PSM156 power conditioner. 
3. Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable.

4. Lumin U1 Mini

5. MoFi LP#9 Stylus Cleaner. Better than the Onzo ZeroDust although I still use the Onzo between the sides. 

128x128audphile1

Upped my streamer game..hint the ethernet tweaks are major improvements.. I had a T2 and I think if I had upgraded my signal path I may not have gone for the X1 (but who’s kidding who..found a used one on Agon).....Not shown are PSUs for the EtherRegen, AfterDark clock and the Roon Nucleus and other cables (as well as use of an optical cable from EtherRegen to streamer).

Member @ozzy was very kind in helping sort out these changes. Info can be mined here (PS Direct Stream Vs. Lumin X 1 Sound quality difference?)

EtherREGEN...They will call you back if you have questions.

EtherREGEN

A very comfortable listening chair

Lumin X1 Yeah baby!

Signature <Lumin X1> Silver DC Cable Seriously...yes!

Power cord for X1 These folks are a relative bargain and do great work!

Improved clock for the EtherREHGN AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX GIESEMANN OCXO 10MHZ REFERENCE MASTER CLOCK

Roon Nuckeus... Far better SQ than from Computer

And this changed my listing expertise more than words can say. To me Roon is Pandora’s box on steroids times ten espressos, making love like teenagers or the superlative of your choosing.

The Denafrips Pontus II DAC + IRIS DDC combo yielded a quantum leap in SQ over my previous DAC, the Schiit Modi Multibit. 

Circle Labs A200 hybrid integrated amp. Best I've owned over ~40 years of developing systems.

I switched from a Schiit Modi Multibit ver 1 DAC to an old SMSL M8 DAC that I had from a previous headphone desk top set up.  The Schiit gave things a muddy boomy bass.  The SMSL M8 cleaned up the bass without taking anything away from the mids and highs.  The channel separation and imaging seems to be better also.

So many cool toys!!!   I am having a 300b amp built but it won’t be here til sometime early next year .   I look at my other hobbies and those of my friends and I’m pretty sure my money spent on audio has given the most satisfaction per dollar of anything.    I listen a few hours a day , sometimes many hours..... every day.  Not impacted by the weather and seasons 

@oddiofyl  You should have fun with the 300B amp. I have custom built 300B monoblocks, 300B sweetheart tube.

Speaking of recent purchases, latest Psvane Acme 300B and Linlai Elite 101D for Coincident Statement pre. Boutique 300B's  worth the added expense!

Other than the  tubes, constant experiments, upgrading of streaming network components.

I sold this year the Wavac m 805 , and bought the Vac phi 300.1.  Upgrade my speakers from Ilumnia Magister MKI  to the Ilumnia Magister  MKII, and bought the streamdrive : Moon Mind 2.

Built a stereo pair of DIY Linkwitz Labs Phoenix (Alt) open-baffle subwoofers to mate with LXmini mains. ’Alt’ means using Tymphany Peerless XLS 83500 (Denmark) drivers instead of the 4 original-spec 12" drivers. Now the bass is as articulate and transparent as the LXmini - perfect pairing.

Also incorperated a pair of Hypex FA-series plate amps into each of those subs, so now the active crossover/DSP functions and Ncore amplification for the entire system is all handled at the subs. This means that (other than mechanical sources: CD and phono) there is only one piece of gear needed (streamer/preamp) - essentially downsized and uncomplicated like a ’lifestyle’ system.

The streamer/preamp could be anything, and I’ve tried several options; Node, NAD M12, and currently using C658 (to play with Dirac). Might try a Lyngdorf or miniDSP Studio or Pi w/hat in the future.

The KEF R3’s that I still have on loan from a friend.

Orchard Audio Ultra Amplifier.

Bluesound Node 2i

My own Open Baffle Debacles with integrated dual stacked 12” H-Frame Subwoofer section.

more homebrew room treatment - Skyline diffusers and 24”x24” absorbers.. !

1. Linear Power Supply for Planar 8
  2. Ania to Apheta 3 for Planar 8
  3. Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus to Merason DAC 1
  4. Vintage Custom JBL 3 Way 4520/4530/C36 Hybrid to DeVore O/96 

Analog domain: Hana EL cartridge ( replaced MoFi StudioTracker) as an add to my Technics 1500C

Digital domain: Add Technics SL-G700 SACD player/streamer via balanced inputs

Receiver: Replaced Yamaha RX-A3080 with Yamaha RX-A8A (huge difference though A8A has a few quirks)

Remainder of system: Martin Logan 60 XTI fronts, ML 50 XTI center, ML Dynamo 1600 Sub, PS Audio Stellar 300 powering stereo front via balanced interconnects

Found a used Schiit SOL TT and have been enjoying the results of some fine tuning of the setup including isolation, cartridge alignment, changing the back of the pod that holds cables, to accept a DIN connector. Then rerouted the motor power switch next to the motor for much easier access. Point is, when all is said and done, this kit makes beautiful music.

Changed my entire system in the past 15 months. Retired but saving a lot by not traveling. But the two most drastic changes have been the cartridge and, surprisingly, the speaker platforms. Specifically, the Lyra Atlas Lambda SL and Townshend Seismic Platforms. For sure, the Lyra was an incredible improvement over my Mayijima Shalabi but the Podiums were right up there with the SQ. Never imagined that vibration control on my speakers could be this major!

One of the main items I changed was an upgrade from Transparent Super Gen 5 interconnects to Transparent Ultra Gen 6 interconnects from my Linn Selekt DSM to a McIntosh D150.

I have been a customer of Transparent for 20 years and I have been totally blow away by this update. I know cables are controversial but I can honestly say the whole system is revealing low end content and detail that was never there before the swap.

Will probably change out the speaker cable as well to Ultra thru the upgrade program.

Geez, forgot that I also bought Tannoy Turnberry GRs.

Perfectly matched to my Primaluna Evo 400 power amp.

It certainly was the biggest improvement this year.

There have been several changes this year, but two stand out.

Replacing my Cornwall IV (great speakers!) with Lascala II

Buying a Denafrips Pontus II

Honorable mention goes to the Allnic T-2000 and Soundsmith Carmen II

Oz

Schiit Freya (tube rolled)

Schiit Aegir (pair)

Fyne F501

Bluesound Vault 2i

to

Anthem Str Pre

Anthem STR Amp

Aurum Cantus V7F

Auralic Aries G1

Sold my Pro-Ject TT set up to go full digital

The diy isolation base I built for my Lenco - along with a main bearing modification - made an absolutely unbelievable difference!

And the Ortofon 2M LVB provided another level of joy coming out of set up.

Thats all for this year…

1. Townshend Podiums.

2. Origin Live Sovereign turntable and Enterprise arm.

3. Moneoone Supernova power cord.

4. Raven Blackhawk.

5. Moab crossovers (Deulund JDM Silver & Jantzen Alumen Z caps, Path Audio resistors, Goertz alpha core inductors, on BDR Shelf on Townshend Pods)

6. Soundsmith Strain Gauge.

7. Townshend F1 IC and speaker cables.

8. QSA Yellow and Violet fuses.

9. Townshend super tweeters.

10. Krissy filters.

11. (If it gets here this year) Rens Heijnis SG mod.

I've been on quite the journey this year!  Notable acquisitions are:

1. Replaced Marantz SR7013 AVR with Marantz AV8805 pre/pro
  2. Added Emotiva XPA 7 Gen 3 for surrounds
  3. Replaced Sony UBP x700 blu-ray with Panasonic DP UB-820
  4. Added a Marantz NA6006 streamer

I'm done!  ...for now. 😂

Built my first hifi rig in 2021…before that it was big box store crap.

this year brought me closer to the musical experience than I’ve ever been (except of course live shows). 

My first system (while not complete):

Nola Boxer 3 speakers

Tsakaridis Devices Aeolos Ultra Integrated Amp

Schiit BiFrost 2 Dac

Allo DigiOne Signature Streamer

LPS, custom power cables, audio quest interconnects

I have to say that the addition of the Isoacoustics Gaia II's to my Usher speakers made a huge improvement to the overall sound of the speakers and system.

Also the addition of a Canare 75 ohm BNC terminated cable used between my word clock and cd/sacd player was an overall improvement over many very expensive 75 ohm cables, from JPS, Wireworld, Kimber, etc.

1. Townshend Podiums

2. NPS 1260

3. JL Audio CR-1 Crossover.

4. Townshend F-1 Speaker cable

5. Zafvino Dart power cord

6. High Fidelity Helix signature plugs (3)

7. QSA fuses

ozzy

On a more budget oriented system starting out in this new hobby last year….

1- High Fidelity Cables NPS 1260 contact enhancer WOW!
2- Fuses QSA Yellow fuses in Raven Blackhawk and Black Ice Audio tube DAC 

3- VHAudio ODAM V-Cap’s in my upgraded Jolida JD-9 tube phono preamp

4- Old Stock Tubes all around…Mullard F91 12ax7 1958 long plates in DAC and    Phono Pre;   Westinghouse 12au7 ‘60’s carbon plates,  Mullard ‘50’s 12at7, Tungsram ‘60’s 12at7 in Amp.

5- Goldring 1022GX cartridge

6- Morrow interconnects

7- OCC speaker and USB cables

8- VH Audio Flavor 4 power cords

9- Panamax power conditioner

10- Nobsound springs under Speakers and Amp

High Fidelity Cable MC-1 Pro power conditioner (now on order)

Almost kicked the bucket from COVID this year, so treated myself to a brand new BAT VK-33 preamp to go with my BAT VK-225se power amp. An awesome combination that has expanded my enjoyment of music and has given me great joy during my convalescence. Also have bought a number of MFSL SACD titles which have really helped me appreciate high quality recordings with big dynamic range.

Take-t Batpro2 supertweeters, and WHD Pure mid-bass high definitioners

Mojo Audio Digital AES Cable

2 more Audio Art Statement E2 Cryo power cables

Lessloss Firewall 640x

Passive power conditioner attached straight to my Devialet 250Exp. Subtle, but noticeable improvement removing sharp transients, making sound more natural even on busiest of tracks. Great for long listening periods. Did compare with power conditioners and power distributors costing a lot more than a single Firewall.

Audience AU24SX XLR interconnect and speaker cables, Audience Front Row USB, Wolf Audio Luna R Digital Server, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amp.

Lots of great stuff out there but, the winner of the best upgrade to my audio system has been the iFi Zen DAC v2. Period. It solves all my digital audio needs and it makes my HiFiMAN 400i planers sound amazing and “intimate” if you understand what that means in terms of the sound stage.  😎

Jay's-Audio CDT2-MK3 CD Transport...  I sold my old 47-Labs Flatfish Transport (a great transport by the way !) and replaced it with the CDT2.  The Flatfish used SPDIF output and the CDT2 has that and I2s which is what I chose as the interface to my Denafrips Terminator-Plus DAC.  When I played the same CD I had loaded into my Innuos ZENith/Phoenix music-server/re-clocker on the CDT2, there was very little difference in the sound.  Helped me enjoy spinning disc's again !  

Just got my new Totem Acoustic Forest Signatures broken in (somewhat)

Went with the mahogany finish. (Absolutely Stunning!)

I now have a brand new music collection ☺

The ATC'S I had were exceptional. The Totems are end game for me🍻

Audio Musikraft Lithium/Aluminum headshell w/Jatoba wood inserts, stuffed with the guts of a Denon DL-103R.  Breathed a whole new life into my vintage Pioneer SX-1250/Denon DP-59L system with Ohm T1000 speakers.

This year,

Got some Quad S2‘’s at great price. Even on cheap sand filled stands, they sound really glorious. Then upgraded to a Topping D70s. What an outstanding and rather overlooked dac! Hits way above its price point.

Listening space is small, but hoping to get a Rel t5/x after I control some of the room modes.

Curious about those Nobsound springs. Have had them in my Amazon shopping cue for a while. Great to see that many here have gotten improvements with them, so now I’ll need to try them too!

Cheap and cheerful! 👍🏼

Upgraded from a pair of 21yr. old Thiel CS2.3 to Vandersteen Quatro CT yesterday. With less than 24hrs. on them, I am grinning from ear to ear with  how much more musical they sound. The active bass really does demonstrate how fundamental those low frequencies are to the music.

NAD Master Series M32 integrated amplifier with Bluos expansion module. Purchased at clearance price of 45% discount due to end of product life as it has been recently replaced by the newly released M33. Happiness is.

Upgraded my preamp to a Pass XP-32.  Nice upgrade.  This is a wonderfully detailed and natural sounding SS pre.  Very, Very quiet.  Great sound stage and wonderful imaging both right and left and front and back.  My previous pre was a Cary SPL 05 with the SE upgrade, which was great but all in all not at the level of the Pass.  The Pass lets me hear deeper into the music and makes my speakers and room totally disappear.  Also, nice not having to drop $$$$ on vintage NOS 6SN7 tubes.  Also, upgraded to Nordost Tyr II speaker cables from Frey II.  More expansive sound stage and more micro detail.  Very happy with the new additions.  

Don't hate on it until you try it, Schitt Loki EQ, really added some polish without adding noise. Love having some tone control again.

Also: REL Speedwoofer, tight, powerful and musical, added some nice bottom end that I didn't even know was missing.

My biggest changes were transducers on either end of my little system.

Decided to take the plunge on my favorite Koetsu and picked up a new Vermilion. In spite of Koetsu changing the body shape and eliminating the threaded mount, I’m glad to report that it is all there in pure flesh and blood. Experiencing this lowest impedance model into a transimpedance phono stage really is the best of all worlds!

After many years of enjoyment with my analog active Meridian M20s, It was time to relieve them. Breaking in a pair of Dynaudio Heritage Special has been interesting to say the least, but happy to say they are quickly (~200+ hrs.) becoming everything I’ve heard on demos and very worthy successors. While others may be able to comment, it seems as if my hearing is/was attuned to the active tweeter delay circuit in the Meridians and I believe Dyna has done something similar in their seemingly complex 1st order passive networks that just jives with me. Cinema-scope imaging and tone/texture to die for. Detail monsters that never loose sight of music’s emotion.

Also stepped up my IC signal cables to Audience Front Row with speaker cables next on the list. Those Jeff Day mentioned White Lightening spkr cables are filling in for the meantime extremely well.

With passive speakers requiring power, I broke out my sweetheart Accuphase P250 fully updated with the new Hovenga Driver Board Upgrade from Paul @ Many Moons. Such a great vintage amplifier made even better. The well worn cliche’ “wire with gain” fully applies.

It’s been a nice ride with synergy in spaces. Need more records!!

first post and a confession, not sure if I’m an audiophile, but I am a musician and for me, listening to music is like a sacrament.  The point for me prob isn’t accuracy or fidelity as much as it is about it being transported into place, time, state, etc.

I had a very rudimentary setup with a pretty awful pioneer consumer receiver (Sx-303R) and pioneer floor standers (CS-M551s), streaming from Apple TV and Lg Tv optical out, however I mainly listened to vinyl on a fluance rt81 and Pro-Ject pre.  The whole point of this Craigslist find was to see if my family could handle living with an audio setup, esp the floorstanders in the living room.  Good news, they even liked the pioneer setup!  It was passable for me, but now that the use case was established, time to spend some $$.

my new rig began with replacing the crap receiver with a Peachtree nova 150.  It was like those old pioneers came to life.  Everyone (and not a one an “audiophile”) who had heard the old amp was astonished by he improvements made with the Nova 150.  Wife approved!  This was easily the biggest improving factor this year.

not to be outdone, the Zu Omen Dirty Weekends I ordered last March *finally* came in on 12/6 and I’m blown away.  The clarity and surprisingly, the bass output, is exceptional.  Even running lossless from my iPad I feel like I am front row of a club show when I listen to Andrew Bird’s “MFWY,” and like I’m in the room with Bruce when listening to Nebraska on vinyl.  John Stirrat’s bass slap on “Jesus etc.” was something I had never noticed before, and I promise I’ve listened to that record hundreds of times. Nick Cave’s “Ghosteen” moved me to tears.  This is why we do this, right?

I have the new bluenode streamer coming in on Monday to make life easier for everyone in the house to enjoy the rig.  I’ve heard some don’t love the dac, but if my iPad sounds this good into my peachtree…

I can see upgrades down the line, like an orchard audio Dac, or a Technics SL 1500, but for the foreseeable future, I’m off the treadmill, enjoying the pleasure of listening to my favorites “again for the first time.”

I hope your holiday is filled with peace, contemplation, and bangin’ good music.

Vaya con Dios,

Dir. G. Cole