Best cheap integrated amp

I'm looking to minimize my system in retirement, as I find my stereo gets minimal use. I'm looking to buy a NEW integrated amplifier under $500. 
For now I will keep my TT, DAC, and phono preamp. Next I will downsize to smaller speakers. My current system is listed in virtual systems.
Thank you. 
128x128mjcmt
Musical Fidelity M2si was recently on sale at Upscale for $599 , which brought used prices way down. I have one, bought used, and think it’s terrific...Steve Guttenberg recently gave some rave reviews to low price Denon and Cambridge Integrateds, but I have not heard them...
Well, this is just slightly over your budget ($549), but the Music Hall a15.3 is a very good sounding integrated.  5 RCA inputs and an MM phono input.  50wpc into 8 ohms, 75wpc into 4 ohms.  No digital inputs or fancy screens, only two small front panel lights - one to indicate input choice and one to indicate volume level.  I like the simplicity and feel like the designer tried to create the best sound for the money rather than the widest feature set.  Very clear, detailed, dynamic, non-fatiguing sound.  

Hope you find something you like!  

Cheers, Scott
You can get a PS Audio Sprout100 for $699 and sell both your DAC and phono pre to help offset the cost as the Sprout already has both onboard. Doesn’t get much more downsized than that. Best of luck.
Yamaha and Marantz have Integrateds in your price range. My son has the Yamaha S801 and it sounds very good with his Harbeth C7’s.
Cambridge Audio has the CXA80 on Ebay quite often at $450.00,
80 watts per ch with a decent DAC.

Accessories4less has this unit which is pretty nice.

DENON PMA-800NE Stereo Integrated Amplifier w/built-in
DAC and Phono Preamplifier $419.99
Used Rega Brio-R can be had for about $500 or less.  Certainly not the last word in resolution or finesse, but a lot of fun at that price point.
As I'm sure you already know, the synergy between amp and speakers is paramount. Some amps sound great with some speakers and lousy with others. There are plenty of NAD opponents here but I can make a recommendation that's worth looking into.....
The NAD C326BEE (approx $500) is a very musical amp capable of driving speakers above what it's power rating may imply. I currently have the NAD C375BEE and first used it with Klipsch Reference speakers. Didn't like the sound. Then used the amp with PSB speakers. Night and day difference. NAD and PSB are/were sister companies.

If you have the chance to audition an integrated amp of interest, try to audition it with the speakers you intend to buy. Same with any other combination of amp and speakers.

Probably going to get flak for this but on a budget for a pre-pro so I landed on the Yamaha RX-A780. It was the only one around $500 with a set of pre-outs so I could hook up my amp to push the mains. I have to say it’s not bad and the room correction is decent. Also it allows me to bi-amp my front “presence” speakers as I don’t have rear surrounds. So, Mains, Presence, Center and Sub. The Yamaha has enough options for adjustments and is doing a decent job for the $$$.
I have MusicHall a15.3 in my bedroom system and its absolutely wonderful with the right speakers (I have it hookd up to Kef Q150 - and they have a good synergy). $450 retail.. plenty of inputs. The only thing I don't like about it is the remote - tiny buttons.  
You even could think small and get a Marantz HD-AMP1. The built-in DAC is capable even to decode hires files so you could sell your existing DAC. The Marantz has a fine and decent sound and you can rely on stable 50 wpc power. Keep the phono pre and enjoy an integrated amp built like a tank with full remote control. Just my two cents...
You can get a PS Audio Sprout100 for $699 and sell both your DAC and phono pre to help offset the cost as the Sprout already has both onboard. Doesn’t get much more downsized than that. Best of luck.

I concur.
Thanks for these recommendations. To reiterate, I'm buying new. The NAD and Music Hall are the only ones in my price. I will study these.
Atoll In30 integrated 50wpc   No dac, no balanced inputs. Very nice piece. Great soundstage. 
NAD316BEE is $449.00...all analog w/MM phono and a punchy 40W/ch rating.  Of course smaller speakers may want more power, not less, due to lower sensitivity, but a solid 40 is usually enough for a 2000 cu ft room at non-injurious volume levels.  The C326BEE is discontinued, and has been for a while.
Atoll IN30 is seems like a good choice if I can find one in the USA for under $500.
You can pick up a Yaqin tube integrated for around 500.40 wpc.I own the tube buffer that I use on the outputs of my cd player into my preamp and it works great.
@nypd26

what tube buffer... can you post a link to the model? what does the tube buffer do to the sound quality?
What are you trying to achieve by downsizing?  Pulling money out of your system?  Ease of use?  Less clutter visually?

you have a nice system... i really like your integrated that you have now and your speakers...  

possibly just keep those, ditch everything else and get a bluesound node 2i.  Control your system and music selection on your phone.

Or, sell everything and go this route?

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/dynaudio-xeo-10-active-wireless-hi-fi-speakers-pair-and-node...

Do yourself a favor DO NOT HESITATE to buy this amp before they are gone!!!
 It has EVERYTHING(except TT but you'll not need it after you experience streaming) you will ever need to downsize but maintain high fidelity...NOTHING recommended can touch these amps for system control & sound for $ spent!!!
accessories4less.com
MICROMEGAMyAmp Integrated Amp 60w x2ch. Perfect for Atmos/Zone 2Item #: MICROMEGAMYAMPAvailability: IN STOCK, ships out in 1-2 Business Days. $649.99$279.99
Ask an expert Accessories4Less advisor1.800.657.0195....
We can talk speakers but this amp & a set of $500.00 Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers or any number of good sounding affordable speakers would kick serious audiophile a$$ in a smallish listening room...
Lot of choices, each have strengths, will have to decide to live with or accommodate weaknesses.  Atoll does peek my interest, wish it were more accessible.
Outlaw Audio RR2150 (or 2160): technically, it's a receiver (has a tuner), but would definitely serve the purpose.  It has a phonostage, DAC, bass management, and a subwoofer output for 2.1.  Plenty of power, cool styling, remote control, and well-reviewed.
I am looking for a new Integrated amp and looking on here yesterday I found a seller(don't remember their name) selling new NAD for almost half price. I have not the pleasure of hearing any of the NAD line. I read a ton of great things about them.Rongood luck on your search
Why downgrade you have a wonderful system its not to big.Well enjoy anyway.
Though this system sounds very good I’m considering downgrading the amp for a few reasons:
1. Infrequent use the system, so I question the logic of owning a $2k tube amp.
2. The matter of inconvenience of letting a tube amp warm up for best performance. I would use it more often for shorter periods of time.
That’s it in a nut shell.
Thanks for the recommendations. Reviews seem to indicate the NAD 316BEE and Emotiva TA100 may be the best <$500 integrated amps, with the edge to the NAD. The Emotiva includes a DAC which I don't necessarily need. What do you think of these?
OP: I recently bought the Yamaha  60wpc A-S301 for $350 new.  Sounds outstanding and way bigger than 60wpc.  The other two Yamahas mentioned above have slightly more power and supposedly in another league, FWIW. 
Good luck!
Post removed 
+1 Rega Brio.  It is a lot of fun for the money.  Solid build, robust sound and just plain musical.  Simple functioning and love the shoebox design.  I ran SA, B&W and Penaudio Cenya monitors with it.
whats the difference between the Yamaha 701 and 801 besides the $100 difference?  is it just the USB??

My vote goes to Onkyo a-9150 one of the best  sounding uo to $1000,you can connect cheap speakers or more expensive,even horns sounds good with this amp.It has decent dac inside
I believe the Yamaha 801 has a different DAC than the 701. One which does include USB, however differs in the D to A conversion chip. I believe the pre/amp stages are the same. IMO the Yamaha A-Sxxx series represent good value. 

The OP wants to downsize not in number of components but in the cost allocated to the integrated. Looking for a line level one. 
If you're set on new, and not used or refurb, at $500 or less - I'd consider the Denon PM-600NE integrated - $399.  Steve Guttenberg had positive things to say about it - and the customer reviews are almost universally positive.  Not a lot of power, but if you paired it with some efficient bookshelves like the Klipsch RP0-600M's, I bet it would be a really nice pairing.

If you're willing to stretch a little bit, the Yamaha A-S501 at $549 (Music Direct) would be something to consider.  A little less power than the 701/801.  I have the 801 and I think it's excellent for the price.  6 Moons did a review a few years ago on it and had high praise.  The variable loudness is really nice for improving low volume listening, and the tone controls can be useful sometimes. (both can be bi-passed in "pure-direct" mode).

Good luck!
Post removed 

Yamaha R N303, you have amplifier and streamer together, by the way,the steamer is very good with total price before tax under $400.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since posting this I picked up a Rega Mira 3 to use with my Schiit Modi3 DAC and recently aquired Dynaudio Emit10 monitor speakers. For fun a picked up a Yamaha rxv681 AVR to concider. The Rega sounds better but Yamaha has room correction, so no final decisions yet. I may look for a Dynaudio Emit15c center speaker and give 3.0 a try for the TV system. It’s all up in the air, but I think I'm set for now.