Best cheap integrated amp

I'm looking to minimize my system in retirement, as I find my stereo gets minimal use. I'm looking to buy a NEW integrated amplifier under $500. 
For now I will keep my TT, DAC, and phono preamp. Next I will downsize to smaller speakers. My current system is listed in virtual systems.
Thank you. 
128x128mjcmt

Showing 1 response by veroguy

If you're set on new, and not used or refurb, at $500 or less - I'd consider the Denon PM-600NE integrated - $399.  Steve Guttenberg had positive things to say about it - and the customer reviews are almost universally positive.  Not a lot of power, but if you paired it with some efficient bookshelves like the Klipsch RP0-600M's, I bet it would be a really nice pairing.

If you're willing to stretch a little bit, the Yamaha A-S501 at $549 (Music Direct) would be something to consider.  A little less power than the 701/801.  I have the 801 and I think it's excellent for the price.  6 Moons did a review a few years ago on it and had high praise.  The variable loudness is really nice for improving low volume listening, and the tone controls can be useful sometimes. (both can be bi-passed in "pure-direct" mode).

Good luck!