Sending a 110 lb amp to the manufacturer for cleaning/calibration. Good idea? How to ship?

Hi All,

So I reached out to Simaudio as my amp (Simaudio Moon Titan HT200 5 channel) is getting a bit long in the tooth. It performs truly flawlessly and is just beautiful and barely even gets warm after running all day long. I was just more curious than anything about lifespan, etc. Simaudio replied right away. They said all the units they'd manufactured since 2001 are still "active". However they did recommend sending it to them (if I could be without it for a few weeks) for "cleaning and calibration".  

Couple of things, I can't even go 1 day without this unit. But beyond that just the thought of packing this thing up and shipping literally makes me cringe. I'd certainly pay extra if there was some way to avoid UPS/FedEx or any other means like that. Any recommendations and have any of you ever done something like this?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks all in advance...
kingbr
I shipped a mono block pair of 120lb amps to Korea from the west coast. So I feel you’ll be okay shipping one. 
CARDBOARD is always the best material for packing. NOT thin cheap cardboard but rather heavy cardboard. It is resilient. Plywood not so. Whatever you ship, rest assured it will get bounced around. I've seen some people use duct tape for the outside of the box. Another no no. It isn't made to adhere to cardboard. Buy packing tape that has string reinforcement in it. I do like the very sturdy type of bubble wrap. It is usually green in color and won't break unless you run over it with a truck. 
Whatever you do, steer clear of plywood! I'm in Allentown, Pa. I always have packing material on hand should anyone need some. Boxes as well. Cheers, Joe
@jnovak Thanks for responding - you know this thought did actually occur to me as well. Kinda ties in with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", LOL. Or be careful what you wish for:). However I do have tremendous trust and faith in the folks at Sim and why I wouldn't bring this amp anywhere or to anyone else...Plus just as it's always good to get your routine check ups with your PCP I'd love the confidence of hearing from the folks at Sim that she's all good to go. Worth a nice road trip and $350 for the servicing which I thought was a tremendous price considering the cost of Sim gear!
Another thought; It's always possible if you move forward with the "upgrade" that your amp may not be as pleasing to your ears when you get it back as it is now. Now that would be a nightmare! Joe
I highly recommend USHIP.COM
They blanket wrap your stuff and it never goes through an automated situation.  The only safer way would be for you to take it there yourself.  Ive used this service many time and most recently had a pair of Klipsch Cornwall shipped to me in Florida from Dallas.  
It is working magnificently and didn't even give something like this a thought until it was suggested from the good folks at Simaudio as I had wanted this amp for over 20 years and now want this to last as long as possible. If I were not within driving distance I wouldn't do it but since I am and Sim is ok with it, I've decided to do it!

Once again I cannot thank you all enough for all of the great advice and support! Always appreciate folks taking their time to give great advice!
He is making the correct decision. He will drive it there.
only 4 hrs away. 
   If my amps go, I have a 1,200 mile drive to Cali.  
If it is working correctly and you are happy do not waste your time or money shipping it because you may never get it back again because of sipping problems/issues because of its size and weight.
Hoping you take MC's advice....I cringed and smiled as I went through his sequence of events.  He is spot on!

I share this as a just how frustrating box shipping can be.  I know your package would not be as susceptible as my my company's but just an example.

One of my customers had a demo piece of equipment I sell.  It is essentially a 50lb egg about 16in diameter.  They saw the driver struggle to get it loaded on its Priority Overnight trip back to my house.  5 days later my regular Express driver casually strolled up my front steps(I saw him while on the phone and wondered...how???).

After my call I went outside and almost threw the box against the ceiling in picking it up.  It was empty!!  The $6000 piece of equipment, its power cord and the bottom section of packing were gone and a new diagonal piece of tape across the bottom flaps.  

At some point from pickup driver to delivery driver the damn thing fell out and the jerks just taped up the box and scanned it.

I am in the middle of the claims process now.  I have been very fortunate when shipping audio components out of necessity but man oh man it always makes me nervous!
If you're servicing the amp, change the electrolytics. If you're not servicing, why open and change caps? Makes no sense for a 5 channel amp! Save your money and buy some separates. Amplifier, preamp along with a surround sound processor if that's what you want. Again, Simaudio is pretty good, I'll bet most caps still test in spec. This unit has 216,000 mfd capacitance in power supply. I've been fixing stuff for 50 years!
I shipped an amp that weighs even more than that to the East (Classe DR3 VHC) but had an original double box. It came back in good shape via UPS, although I was worrying the whole time it was away that some idjit would drop it off a loading dock.

If you don't have an original box for it, suggest that you contact Simaudio and see if you can buy one.
The amp will most likely need new electrolytic caps throughout based on age. Once replaced the amp will indeed sound better. These do dry out over 20 years are don’t hold to spec any longer.  
This will cost, but it will help you keep the amp for many more years. It is always risky to ship so driving it there would be better. 
I would not bother with cleaning or biasing unless you first replace the old electrolytics. The manufacturer is most likely on top of this as part of the plan. 
Bias makes very little difference unless amp is running hot. (If you have a friend that can do it in your house, okay) The original capacitors in my 42 year old amplifiers still test good (5% to +20% of original value). Good quality SS equipment typically last 40+ years, even if they have been driven moderately hard. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The reason there are very few QUALITY used amps for sale is the shipping companies. (You know who I'm talking about)
This post makes me happy that when I had to send something back to Julius at Audire, he told me how to unplug the right channel transistor laden heat sink, in order to just mail it. Strangely, there was no problem. I had a bad Radio Shack Balanced to RCA adaptor.
@oldhvymec Had the best advice. At that weight you are pretty much stuck using a trucking company. I would definitely figure out how to get everything back in the original packaging. If the manufacturer trusted it, then it's the best way to go. I would contact Simaudio for detailed instructions on how the get it back in the OEM box, and also see if they have a specific freight hauler that they use and trust  to return repair units. Be advised that trucking companies operate on a completely different time schedule than product movers like FedEx and UPS. They don't like to move a trailer to a specific destination until it is as full as they can get it, which tends to slow things down a bit.
thanks @arcticdeth great advice and that is exactly my thinking. Making it into a nice day trip/adventure with the wife to include breakfast and stops along the way. And thank you for the kind words on the amp. She really is a beauty which is why I never gave up looking to get my hands on her for something I could afford for the last 20 years:)

Sim responded and said I could do it but I need to declare it (not really sure what this entails but that can't be too painful). They also needed some more info asking if I had the original carton and asked for the serial number. Sent my reply last night and now waiting for next steps. 

Do you have any woodworking skills? I am not sure I would waste time on cardboard or just whip up a box with 2x4 and plywood, though with the price of wood these days, that may cost more than the amp.

https://www.packagingsupplies.com/collections/wood-shipping-crates
https://www.uline.com/BL_427/Standard-Wood-Crates

Don’t waste your time with regular packing foam or anything like that. Get expanding foam bags. They will conform exactly to the amp and box. Big amp like that, you will need 4 or 6 bags: https://www.amazon.com/EcoBox-Inches-Instapak-Temperature-2032-1/dp/B00KAFU2SK/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&...

Is it >4 hours each way? That is 16 hours total. 1000 miles. There is a very real cost for your vehicle usage, probably more than shipping.
By the time you pay for shipping both ways to find out no problem found or pay for a very expensive full capacitor replacement, you are better off stashing the money away for a new or used  amp replacement. The Mark Levinson guy said that because M/L used defective capacitors for years and the amps went into premature failure. I experienced 1of those failures, luckily, it was a known problem with the 300 series amps and they did a full replacement of all the caps which would have been $1000.00 or more. Luckily, I was in driving distance to their Middletown Ct facility so I saved the $200.00 shipping charge. 
Yeah, missed the “4 hour tour” part... I would definitely be making that drive vs shipping. Not even a question.
Sounds like you have a gem with great meaning to you. My advice is to drive it directly to where they service.  This is the only way you have control over it’s delivery.
Good Luck!
I see in forums folks recommending replacing caps after XX amount of years.  I have a Krell FPB amp from around 2000.  It sounds perfect still to this day.  There are folks here that forgot more than I'll ever know about audio equipment.  But for the life of me, as several have mentioned prior, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Reason I mention this, is FedX scrapped my old KSA200s when Krell shipped it back to me.  I insured for $8k & FedX paid me $3250.  
That amp did need repair.  
The FPB300cx has been sitting in the same spot except for the yearly cleaning ever since it arrived.
I hope this helps with your decision.
-John

Road trip seems like an easy decision for an end game component. 

I've travelled further to avoid shipping for several purchases, mostly larger speakers(90# each in the first instance and 110# each in another) since they are the most prone to damage from shipping.  

Good Luck!
Only 4 hrs each way. Nothing to save and update his beloved amplifier. !!

Not looking forward to my trip to California at all!
hoping it’s many years from now, even with great chance of a successful ship trip, will be nice to get away with the family for a while. 
 Yeah, 4 hours is very much worth it!
leave early ,like 4 am. Will be ahead of all traffic ! Have breakfast as mentioned, until they pen, drop her off, ask questions, ask for a tour of your absolute favorite brand and amplifier etc etc. 

keep us posted .....
.....will be nice to hear such a nice success story. 
2 road trips? A savings of what, $1200 shipping, for a total of both ways?
Peace of mind, a chance to tour the Simaudio shop? Can’t argue with that.
Man, talk about DIY? This puts a whole new/another spin on the term.
A chance for an extension of warranty and other goodies? Ask them to through
in a brand new updated shipping crate for shiggles and gits for being such a down customer of course! 
Only a 4 hour drive?

Aaahhhhh, that’s nothing.
We would leave early morn, catch breakfast, drop off the amp,
Lunch on the way home. Wait a week or what it takes, drive back and pick her up. That’s what I would do these days.
Grab a basket w food, stop along the way for lunch on way home, in a field, or park somewhere and have a nice lunch with the wife and kids, or just yourself. Yup, 4 hours away, don’t change shipping. Tell them to upgrade , replace any parts, or most aging parts, caps, transistors, relays, or whatever is needed.
a nice amp like that deserves a good overhaul, plus there should be an additional warranty after upgrade. I think,ost do a 1 year, but talk with them, and maybe you can extend that.........

hope it all works out.
enjoy the road trip. BTW, just took a look at your prized amp, wow,! What a amazing looking amp, the specs are wicked good!
  Something like that would never be shipped by us, too nice to ship such a beautiful and heavy amp.

Congrats, she is a beauty!
Thank you again...Yes, if I do decide (and am leaning in that direction for all the good reasons many of you have offered such as an enjoyable road trip, want this amp to last as long as possible, the thought that its sound could actually improve) it will most definitely be well packed but I will be its chauffer. If Sim allows and they confirm the address I have is the same then that'll tip the scales and I'll do it. 4 hrs and some change drive and I can keep my eye on its travels does make the lifting and disconnecting and separation a bit easier to handle. Not sure when, I guess whenever they suggest would be the best time so as to minimize my separation from it. 

@bob540 thank you for the kind words and support. Appreciate it...Very cool man:)

@mitchagain, I have everything plugged into a Furman Elite 20PFI which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit which is under the protection of a Leviton whole house surge protector. Gotta believe I'm safe as kittens for the most part:). But thanks for sharing your experience and that is also what is driving me a bit as well, the thought that this unit could actually be improved...
Kingbr,

You have plenty of good advice so it really just circles back to your decision.  
Are you going to keep this amp forever?  If yes, then I would want to know how long will Simaudio keep this model "active".
You said you have waited 20 years to purchase it, so its possible that its 20 years old (produced in 2001) which puts it right on the edge of being "active".  If that's the case then I would take the road trip. 

Regards,
barts
@kingbr:   I have no advice for you — wouldn’t know what is best — but that amp is the true definition of “beast”!   Good luck with whatever you decide.  If you choose to get it “refreshed”, I bet it will sound good!
No shipping here.

If possible, talk to them at t he factory, or the official USA service center , ask how long for the work to be done. 
  If not too long what is the best time to have the amp there for service/upgrades, etc etc. make a plan, and drive them there, get a vacation out of it if possible with the family.   Pick up after a week, or 2 weeks, if you have the time from work. 
   We know it’s not far, we drove my amp to Rockford, about 4 hours from us, stayed 4 days in a hotel, visited some things to see, wife did some shopping, etc. 
called us, drove 20 min, picked up, drove home that evening.      Amp safe and sound. 
  What gets us (me) nervous is the drive to the west coast if and when one of my monoblocs starts to act up, the drive to California to have both of them upgraded is not on my idea of fun drive, but we can visit my cousins on the way home, and will be a good story. 
    Will not ship anything except my preamp (lifetime warranty)

had 2 receivers, 2 CD players, and 4 pairs of speakers arrive damaged, was really upset at the speakers, but we’ve learned our lesson, and will take a road trip if and when needed. 
  Are we a bit anal about this, could they be totally safe to and from shipping,..? Sure!
  Not taking the chance with my monoblocks in main system. 

The Odyssey monoblocs are not too bad, only a 3+ hour drive to Indianapolis to the factory. 
    The price, and time it has taken me to save for what I have now will not be compromised. Will not take the chance of shipping damage, as try getting anything from fedex, ups, usps, 3rd party shipper, better off squeezing coal and waiting For a diamond to form. 
Assuming that you can't deliver it yourself (or even better, get someone locally), you really need to get a manufacturer-approved packing box/container, because (as someone who has had an amp trashed twice by UPS), you need to pack it EXTREMELY well, pay for the insurance and take pictures of your unit and your packing process all along the way, because the shipping companies will not reimburse you if you use an unapproved shipping container.  I sent a McIntosh solid state amp across the country - it weighed 104 pounds total (the box weighed about 30 pounds all by itself) and it was in an official McIntosh box and it still got damaged - account for the box being dropped from three feet up on the side/corner without damaging the unit.  Don't mess with bubble wrap - it offers little protection for something this heavy.  Use thick foam and fill any spaces in the container so if it breaks loose inside the box(es) it can't roll around.  It can be done, but don't assume that anyone is going to be using kid gloves on your unit.
Lots of great advice so far; but, here's some first hand experience to consider...

Many years ago my house took a direct hit by lightning and it fried many things, including my Sim Audio amp. I took it to a local Sim Audio dealer who then sent it back to them (in the original box). When it came back it sounded significantly better than before the lightning strike; so, make of that what you will.
WOW! First I want to thank all of you for taking the time to offer great advice on both ends of the spectrum. Great arguments both for and against, what to do????

I feel like getting total peace (Piece for all us Maidenheads :) of mind of having the high end pros at Sim do their thing and get the green light and gain the confidence knowing she's got a clean bill of health...

However I keep coming back to "if it ain't broke", and the disconnecting, lifting (and I have decided if I do have this done I am doing the road trip thing, as yes @jl35 I completely trust Sim, I would love to keep forever, and I do enjoy driving), going without really just so does not at all appeal to me...And thank you @philiptamarkin for the White Glove info offer. And thanks @gochurchgo for the offer to assist but I'm on the other side of the country in NH...

I will follow up when I make the decision (still waiting to hear back from Sim on the address and if I can drop it off in person)...

Regardless you all have provided great info and some good laughs and I can't thank you All enough for taking the time to help. I feel like this thread represents the best of what this site is all about, at least for me anyway! Good stuff! You guys are awesome man!
Think of those circuit boards, connectors, etc all vibrating for hundreds of miles.  Then those potholes.  Electronics just love potholes. 

I think the potential for damage far outweighs any benefit that could exist.

If someone was bent on checking bias and cleaning--do it yourself!  With some basic equipment it is not difficult.
compressed air , take outside of course , then go back inside rub one out then hook back-up . problem solved 
You can get original packaging from SIM it's a double box and it should be okay to ship that way.
Sim audio is in Quebec but they do have an outlet in Buffalo I believe but then they'll still truck it over to Quebec anyways.
Road trip...make a weekend 'overnight speed tour' out of it.

Contact them, and make an appointment, just like you'd for your GP.

Better yet....avoid separation anxiety and leave well enough Alone. ;)
As others have said, if it ain’t broke... the cost and brain damage to ship an amp of that size for “cleaning” just isn’t worth it IMO. And, to the above, a “white glove” service will probably cost nearly what the amp is worth. One thing to consider is a local Sim dealer, if you have one, and see who they have/recommend for repairs and service.
Yep, + 1 MC on this one. And if you don't have the original crate and packing material it might be a good idea to get a reasonable facsimile from the OEM just to have it on hand.
I use a "white glove" service that's picked up and delivered expensive/delicate/irreplaceable gear (mostly musical instruments and art) all over the country with nary a second's worry or a minute's lost sleep.  I wouldn't do it any other way.  PM me for particulars and contact information.
For shipping a heavy amp, I'd look to see if I could find a properly sized  Pelican or SKB hard case with handles and "luggage wheels" and no foam. Encase your amp with an inch or more of rigid foam board, fit it nice and tight. Hard polypropylene case, tight fit. 

Making your package easier to handle with sturdy handles and wheels go a long way toward getting your amp to it's destination safely.  I've shipped 90-100 lb amps any number of times in country and Canada & have never had an issue
I had a tech at Mark Levinson tell me same thing basically about my 532H amp that after about 10 years caps should be checked or replaced. Then my dealer said he never heard that. Levinson said they dry out over time, I think that’s how they put it. 
I concur with MC, but would add one comment.  When you feel your amp needs refreshed, many skilled technicians exist who can work on it.   Better to have a short road trip to someone you can talk to who will commit to a timeframe ahead of time, than risk the issue of shipment. That way all shipping problems are avoided and you have control over your amplifier.
Post removed