Amp Upgrade time, $6000 budget, used or new.

Amp upgrade time!!! What’s the most badass amp I can get for $6000 New or used. 
I’m currently bi amping my Martin Logan’s with an old mc7106. I want to move up. I’m not glued to biamping this time around, I just do it now because my gear is my gear, ya know? 

I would like fully balanced. 
So please help me pick my next big boy amp. 
Treated room. Speaker:
martin Logan esl x , rel t7i pair 
Preamp:
 t+a P3000hv
dac / phono
t+a DAC 8 DSD / nova phenomena 2+
streamer, tuner, Tt
metrum Ambre , marantz 20b, marantz tt15s1 
ic and power
synergistic. 

andrewkelley
I should mention That I don’t tend to listen loud and I love soundstage and ambiance. I like to put on an album after getting my ass kicked all day at work and just float away..... makes me think tubes????? But, I like incredible detail and pinpoint soundstage with height and depth, so I basically just want as close to perfect as I can get for my budget. Who doesn’t? 
Wow, 6K, there’s an ocean of amps out there!

If it were me, I would seriously look at the Sanders Magtech ,
will drive ANYTHING, and is reliable, is class A/AB, lifetime warranty........DID I MENTION LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Roger Sanders is a genius, and the Magtech is ALL the amp you will ever need!!”!

plus a 30 day free trial.

www.sanderssound.com.
Seriously look into it. You will,Not be disappointed!!!

enjoy.

the Magtech is made just for magnepan and electrostatic speakers which need gobs of current.

If I were you I would look into the Sanders Magtech!!”!

their amazing,and stable to 1Ohm or less.
Buy a used Mccormack dna-1 or dna-.5 and have SMC audio (Steve McCormack) upgrade it.  I had him do a dna-.5 and ended up selling my parasound jc-1 monoblocks.  Total cost (including purchase if the dna-.5) of about $3k and competes with amps much more expensive
If you care about soundstage you may consider VTL MB450 used.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa2afe-vtl-mb450-signature-monoblock-amps-tube

https://www.stereophile.com/content/vtl-mb-450-series-iii-signature-monoblock-power-amplifier-page-2

I had been using only tube power amp except driving subwoofer for last 20 years.

I had been happy with Line Magnetic 508 for last 3 years but it may not have enough power to drive your speaker.
There’s a pair of McCormack DNA1 monoblocks with Steve’s Ultra Platinum upgrades for $3500 on US AudioMart.  Pretty darn close to perfect IMHO. 
@soix McCormack is some mighty fine gear, serviceable, reliable, 
mable to call,and talk with the Steve himself!

But he Sanders Magtech is beyond even Steve’s amps.

mplease call, talk, with Roger Sanders, he will,blow your mind.

there is really no amp which will give you the headroom, sound, and longevity of the Magtech!!

look into it!!

You will thank me in the long run!
When I spend that kind of dough, I won’t do it without a home audition and right of return. That lets out most used gear. I am using Janszen hybrid electrostatics, and I don't want a harsh amp to take away from their beauty.

If you can take the copious heat, a Pass Labs X250.8 would meet your sound profile. Pass recommended (to me) the X series as better suited than the XA for electrostats. Reno HiFi often has demo units at about 20% above your price point, and they will take it back if you don’t like it.

I auditioned that amp, enjoyed the slightly lush and very atmospheric sound, and sent it back because the heat was too much for my small room. As @asa said, Pass Labs amps are widely loved and hold value.

I auditioned the Magtech, too, which to my ears had a chillier sound profile. (I know many hear perfection in it; and I agree Mr Sanders is a genius and great to do business with.) I decided on a Bryston 4B3, with sound somewhere in between the two. I am very happy with that, so I should include it in my list, though it has less snob appeal than Pass. Bryston these days has a far less up-front sound than previously.
Wow thanks y’all. I’ve got an email in to sanders, I’m also going to look at pass and Bryston. That dna on audiomart looks awesome too 
I would look at the Aesthetix Atlas. It should give you what you are looking for.
+1

joey54
210 posts
05-15-2020 12:55am
I would look at the Aesthetix Atlas. It should give you what you are looking for.
@georgehifi  are the jc1 a big step up from my McIntosh? I did have my eye on those. 
I’m also looking at t+a amp8 
Glad you are considering the t+a also. There can be synergies when same maker's gear is used. Forgot to say that in my previous message.
I would stick with biamping the MLs and suggest a tube amp for the electrostatic panels and as big and mean a SS amp for the bass unit as you can afford. Subtlety doesn't matter with the bass, go with as much power as you can get. Maybe a big 2nd hand Perreaux would do the trick.
Take a look at McIntosh Mc501s.   I bought mine used and they are amazing.  You seem to like the Mac sound and there are built like a tank.  I run 3.6 Maggies and they drive them easily!
No tubes for this kind of impedance curve, unless they have a 2ohm speaker tap, common complaint with tubes is there are no extended highs, this is the reason why, a downward sliding impedance to 1ohm from 3khz.

Then there may not be enough wattage with a 2ohm tap.
And the only tube amp I know of with 2ohm speaker taps, is the Roger Mojeski's (rip) RM200's 
This is a similar load for the Electromotion ESLx
https://www.stereophile.com/images/912Montisfig1.jpg

Cheers George
Post removed 
I have Janszen zA2.1 hybrid electrostats and after many amps nothing makes them sing like my Linear Tube Audio ZOTL40. This amp has power seemingly far beyond its 40 watts.

if your want SS then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Coda #8.
You might want to look into the Anthem STR Power amp, they are on sale now for $4800.00 or you could even go for the Anthem P2 for $4500.00The P2 will drive any load down to 1ohm or even 0 (shorted) and will do it all day and not get hot.Both of these amps are well within your price range and are built to last.
Hello!! After reading through your likes and dislikes I think the best thing for you to do is look into the DAC company Lampizator. Idk if you use digital files a lot or not, but they make tube dacs with incredible amplification and power supplies. Really great stuff
Dude, don’t muck around!

sanders Magtech is the answer, am I a fanboy, do I own one, no.

it’s one of the greatest amps money can buy.

Everyone in here is recommending what they own.

Magtech is a lifetime warranty, backed by one of audios finest!

Done mess around.
 30 day in home trial!
     Sanders Magtech is the answer!

Don’t let these naysayers steer u away,

the only,amp u will,ever need!
I am familiar with Roger Sanders Magtech Amp.

First-it was designed specifically for electrostatics. 

Second- it comes with a Satisfaction guarantee. No restocking fee.
No freight. Where else is this available? Correct, nowhere.

Third-500 wpc for $5,500 is a bargain.

Fourth-Lifetime Guarantee. 

Fifth- Two time TAS Award Winner

Well if you have not already ordered one, pickup the phone and
call Roger to discuss your needs. Once finished please send me
a thank you note.
Magtech amp!

500WPC 8OHM, 900WPC @4OHM.WILL DRIVE ANYTHING, literally anything to good levels, clean, fast,accurate, headroom galore!

Nothing compares! Pass, levinson, etc etc, will be shadowed by the Magtech!

Try the 30 day in home trial!

you will buy her, and live happily ever after!

or get the gusto, Roger makes Magtech. MONOBLOCKS, , They are known to drive those radiosthraler speakers, which are known to destroy Carver sunfire 600 watt amps!!

Magtech will solve all your problems, drive anything, and give you piece of mind, knowing your amp will drive any speaker you hook up to her!

As soon as I get the coin, I’m buying one for sure!

Be wary of the Magtech with ML’s, they may be alright with Sanders own ESL’s they have a different impedance loading to the Martin Logan ESL.
As this owner found, that had ML Summits, the fuses kept blowing on the Magtech, even with a different Magtech. Then on the Martin Logan forums some are using them without trouble. 🤷‍♂️

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/1873696

Cheers George
The Magtech is amazing, this amp will drive anything and everything you hook up.

all this cold, sterile,nonsense is from people who are jealous.

Give it a shot, if you don’t like it, it’s a free to return!

such a nice amp, don’t deny yourself the  Magtech,
such a fine amp!

also, sign up at Martin Logan or magnepan for a discount from Roger!

try the 30,day trial.
the Magtech is all the amp u will ever need!

D
gobs of current, volts, watts to keep you happy for 20 year

wishmi had one
Just call,Roger, and audition the Magtech, or he has the ESL,amp, 

just giv a chance! 
  Warranty, and wait a couple hundred hours, and this amp is a trendsetter!
I must say that no matter how good the Magtech amp may be, I would be inclined to choose something else solely on the basis of @arctikdeth ’s over-the-top shilling.

Hey @arctikdeth, I think we got it.  The horse is dead already.  You had me at...
do I own one, no.
Now please go take your meds. 
@smer319 i called you when I was in the market to buy the p3000 hv (which I now own) and you hung up on me. 
This is for only 1 mono amp, but I am a little surprised at this price.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649618781-single-bryston-28b-sst2-amplifier-for-sale/

I think it would match your slightly warm preamp. Though you would need to find a second mono block.
I am 2/3 of my way in buying an all Benchmark electronics chain for 1 of my systems. Still need to get the AHB2 at $3K each. Two AHB2’s running in mono block format gives you 380 watts at 8 Ohms and have been demoed with Martin Logan at shows.

I inquired with Benchmark whether the sound is degraded when switching from stereo to mono block. They said it sounds even better in mono, but then they sell 2 units. However, I tend to believe the statements from Benchmark.

The AHB2 is a completely different sound than anything I have heard and my not be agreeable to you. So Benchmark offers a 30 day home trial. I bought Benchmark gear from a dealer. This was at a discount since I did not require a home trial. So possible to get these great amps at $6K or under.
@andrewkelley sign up for the Martin Logan or magnepan forum and Roger will give a discount for a amplifier or preamp purchase.

Enjoy!
There is a McIntosh MC 452 for sale on this site that’s just a little over your budget, but it’s an auction so you might be able to get it for less. It’s an outstanding amo.
The Arion Audio HS-500 is in your price range.  Very powerful and clean sounding Class D with a tube input stage.  I own the S-500 and love it.  I have heard the HS-500s numerous times in several different system contexts, and IMHO are tough to beat for the money.  Plus, most people can carry one under each arm.  Not ugly, but not audio jewelry, either.
arctikdeth I think I’m gonna skip on the Magtech. I have no doubt it can drive the snot out of my Martin Logan’s... and I bet it can play loud as all get out, but I’m not going for crazy loud, and I don’t want to blow my speakers.

I’ve got an opportunity to get a pair of t+a amp8 for just under $5500. Same as a Magtech price wise. They also are a high voltage designed circuit so they should do well with the panels, I already have invested in speaker cables and ic for my current bi amp setup so I can bi amp again plus there’s a synergy w my DAC and preamp.
Magtech not just playing loud!

Sounds amazing, and you need the power and headroom for music.
 Plus the warranty is top.

Don’t say you weren’t warned down the road mate.

The amps,  your looking at are very nice, kudos!
enjoy the music.

You should audition the Magtech, she is a beauty.
     One don’t need to play so loud, it’s having the headroom when the music needs it.

As mentioned my speakers are rated at 250W peak, my amplifiers are 650-700 W rms in 8 Ohm, and well over 1000W into,4.
no worries ever about any damage.
 You owe yourself the 30 day in home trial. When you get the amps your looking at,try the Magtech 30 day trial and compare.

cheers mate
andrewkelley OP
architikdeth, I think I’m gonna skip on the Magtech. I have no doubt it can drive the snot out of my Martin Logan’s... and I bet it can play loud as all get out, but I’m not going for crazy loud, and I don’t want to blow my speakers.

arctikdeth
not just playing loud!
Sounds amazing, and you need the power and headroom for music.
Plus the warranty is top.
Don’t say you weren’t warned down the road mate.
I think we all knew that answer was coming asap.
soix
Hey @arctikdeth, I think we got it. The horse is dead already. You had me at...
do I own one, no.
Now please go take your meds.

This is better than a soap opera

Cheers George
Ok, I get it.
cheers all.
im not one to start a fire.

Enjoy your purchase.

@soix 
take meds?
 Your attitude is arrogant, I’m a good person!and don’t deserve the sarcasm.

Great weekend to all!

Been in audio since 1982, am I a genius, hell no,
still, I don’t deserve  a rip or arrogance, and made to look bad.
   Best to all.

@soix take meds? Your attitude is arrogant, I’m a good person!and don’t deserve the sarcasm.
@arctikdeth — Aw.  You sound annoyed.  Let’s call it even.  As for being arrogant...
@soix McCormack is some mighty fine gear, serviceable, reliable, mable to call,and talk with the Steve himself!  But he Sanders Magtech is beyond even Steve’s amps.
When was the last time you heard any McCormack amp much less monoblocks with Ultra Platinum upgrades?  Yet you somehow boldly proclaim the Magtech is “beyond Steve’s amps.”  How’s that for arrogant?  Like I said, let’s just call it even.  

Peace out.