$2000 Tektons, which one for my use?

Hi,

I'm new here, glad I found this forum. I have a receiver from 2007, specifically the  Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH.
I'd like to hook up a pair of stereo speakers to listen to music only, no movie watching. There are quite a few choices in my price range for full-range speakers (Lore, Uruz, Perfect SET, Enzo XL)  I've read through their descriptions and customer reviews on Tekton website, but have not heard any in person. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so exotic specs and ultra exotic amps, DACs, interconnects,... are not in my realm of knowledge. I'm just looking for a fairly good pair of speakers to listen to rock music and classical. My music collection is all on CDs. I do have an SVS subwoofer (cylinder shape, about 4feet tall) that I can pair with the speakers. What would you recommend as a starting point? Should I consider mid-range speakers? Thank you for any advice!
atemoya
Welcome, be prepared for many comments, just don't listen to  tsushima1.
Couple of things first. What is the size of your room? Do you like or have room for floor standing speakers vs stand mount? 

Room treatment makes ok speakers sound good and good speakers BETTER.

The opposite is true of Great speakers, they only sound as good as the room they are in.. Bad room, BAD sound...

Just a few hundred bucks goes a long ways, if you're a DIY or get a good deal on used.. or don't buy super expensive stuff..

Someone else can chime in on speaker brand. Me I like small planar and ribbon designed speakers with FAST, light, round, voice coil speakers for bass.. pretty simple..

Enjoy..
dill? That's not like you..:-)

Let them say something first, maybe something changed. :-) Good fortune or a new puppy or rabbit in their life. :-)

Regards
I think things start getting better at the Double Impact. I would save up the extra grand for those or find a used pair. I miss the things they did well which are many and would own them again. Not sure about classical but they are very good rock speakers. 
I own Moabs, have heard Pendragon XL, and active in the FB Tekton Owner's Group. I would say first of all no worries about the sound, that is a given. The best indicator is they sell a ton but yet hardly any ever come up used. Instead focus on what you really want it for, where it will be used, practical considerations like that. Impact Monitors would be great, but you may want a floor stander. That kind of thing.   

I would lean Perfect SET 15 due largely to that being a bit warmer balance than the others which will probably be an advantage with your receiver. But it is a close call. Honestly there are no bad choices here, they are all very easy to drive and will go great with what you have.

Also these are so good, relative to what you have, that you could either be super happy and done, or else they could serve as a foundation for building a much better system. They are that good.   

The reason I say this is most of us here are so obsessed with hair-splitting details we forget there are people who just want to get something good and enjoy it. That you will do with any of these, and with ease.   

Another thing to consider, availability. That could range from ship next week to ship next year.
receiver. ? oh my God, i can almost feel the palpable waves of barely captured self restraint….. The self appointed God head almost split in two. I am guessing AVR would have caused core meltdown…. No worries, Utah won out…..

Seriously to the OP consider splitting the budget for an integrated and speakers….
"...I would lean Perfect SET 15 due largely to that being a bit warmer balance than the others which will probably be an advantage with your receiver..."

I'd lean that way also. It's a good speaker (good is good enough sometimes) and very efficient. That is what you need, you'll be very happy.
Thanks guys for all your opinions.
To answer some questions that were asked:
The room is 15' x 18', and I'd love a set of floorstanding speakers. I like looking at them as much as listening to them, Lol. I'll keep reading some more, but so far leaning towards the Perfect SET 15, solely due to them being in my price range. I can probably stretch to get the  Double Impact. However, I'd like to know if they're worth the $1000 difference, in YOUR opinions. I also understand that sound is very subjective, and will take your advice with that in mind. I don't think I can go much above $3000.

One more question: Do I even need to use the SVS subwoofer with these full size speakers?

Thanks!
If you buy used on a site like this you can get a $5k speaker for $2k.
But you need to figure out what to buy. 
Chorus,

Yes indeed. But I'm so new at this that I'm afraid of buying something that may have hidden issues that I'm not knowledgeable enough to see.
Have no fear Chorus.  No matter which one you go with, you will have a speaker that will do an excellent job for you.

You should know this.  The SET 15 was designed by Eric for very low powered SET amps.  Not to say you can't use SS gear with it but understand the designers intent.  The SET 12 was to be paired with higher powered tubed gear.  The impedance of these speakers is more friendly.  Might have some concern with the SET 15 if placed to close to the front wall.  (All of these will perform best if given some "breathing room."  Just concerned that the SET 15 might be a bit bass heavy in that location.)

I suspect that the 2-10 SET would be another great choice for you right in  line with your budget.  The impedance is not listed.  If this is 4 ohm make sure your electronics are comfortable with that load.   Any of these will bring you great satisfaction, and all the the magic of Eric's tweeter array.  

Hold onto your sub.  Most people would not feel the need for subs with these speakers.  But I really enjoy what dual 15" subs do for my DI's.  They fully extend that bottom octave and with some music the result is just spectacular.  

While the DI's will probably sound a bit more dynamic, the 2-10 SET's will have very similar voicing and would probably be a great match for your room.  The SET 12 would be my second choice. ( The 12 is slightly shorter and might benefit from a bit of elevation off of the floor)
OP if you go with Tektons there isn't anything in them that is expensive. The drivers are surely under 100.00 each and internal parts are pretty rugged (crossover). Used is a great way to go.

I think I herd of one driver being blown and there are a LOT of Tekton owners out there.. That means there are 30 + drivers at a time in Moabs.
That is a lot of drivers to NOT go bad, something is surely right I'd say..

Used means someone else was kind enough to break them in and pay for the smelly new paint coming out of the box in their house NOT yours.. :-)

15 X 18 is not huge. It is the same size as one of mine, I have to open two doors and two closets to de pressure the room. It works for me. I can hit 25-27 hz pretty easy with digital, getting real low is hard in a smaller room..

OFF subject BUT a story of "Buying NEW"

I did get burned on a pair of class D amps from Perth. NEW of course. Only one of a few times I did buy new and got torched to say the least.. I won't even go to that country because of it.. Really.. Each amp worked less than 20 minutes. 50 + years of buying stuff, usually it's used..

If God said go to Perth, I'd wind up in the belly of the BIG fish...

Time to feed the chickens..

Regards
Another piece of info I just found out, Tekton will take a minimum of 12 weeks to make them. So I'll either get them used, or go for Elac from Crutchfield, plenty in stock.
If you're into other speakers besides Tekton, there are many good choices in your price range. IMHO.
I'm open to any brand, as long as I can get them for around $2000/pair, max I want to spend is $3000. I brought up Tekton because that's the 1st name that I searched as suggested by an acquaintance. So for now, I'll start looking at brands that are in my budget, and can be bought soon (within a few weeks).
Thanks,

Post removed 
Going off  topic a bit: for the same money, would you guys prefer Tekton or Elac?

Thanks,

Here you go, Double Impacts for 3 grand shipped.......only problem is if you find they are junk theres no returning them..lets get mozartfan on this and see what he has yo say,lmao
’’OP if you go with Tektons there isn’t anything in them that is expensive.’’
 Very true!
Another option —bookshelf rather than floor speakers — is KEF LS50.  They are highly regarded and would pair with your sub.  Would need stands if not on shelf.  Just saw new pair for less than $1700.

Note: I have not personally heard these speakers, but I have seen only positive reviews of them.  
Good luck finding Tekton used. They are 12 weeks wait for a reason. There is no wait for the speakers others recommend for a reason. Only thing is the reasons only become clear once you actually buy a pair and hear them. At that point you realize the long wait was worth it, and you understand why so many go through it, and why they hang onto them. So really the choice is do you want now speakers or good speakers? No right or wrong, just now or good.
Good luck finding Tekton used.

If you go to Hi-Fi Shark, there are more than a dozen pairs of Tekton speakers for sale used. Here, USAM, EBay and other sites. I had plenty of luck finding them for sale. It took less than a minute. You just have to be willing to try.
Leverage: a means of multiplying your work to achieve results far greater than expected from your small input.

Example: say how impossible something is, knowing full well this will trigger certain others to prove you wrong, ultimately accomplishing your true goal without you having to do any of the work yourself.

Rent: free.
Post removed 
I would sell the receiver, buy a used Set of speakers for $1,500 and then buy an integrated meant for 2 channel listening. 
DI was the speaker that really made Tekton famous. Buy the DI for $2200 at HiFiShark and you'll never be sorry. SET is designed for tube amps, and your Pioneer is not one. Have had DIs for three years and they're awesome. 
Post removed 
And were one to examine the Sold/Expired tab and follow up the first few listings we find a strong pattern of *expired* rather than *sold* ergo one might construe that sellers appear to have given up on trying to shift them .
 ( 955 )

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=tekton
Post removed 
I own the Tekton perfect set , for my taste, I love them.You see I blew my impact monitor Tekton speakers tweeters, when I brought them for  repair at Van L Speakerworks who also design speakers, He told me my impact are well design speakers.I don’t know how long is the waiting now. Sometimes they have in stock, just check Tekton website.
Post removed 
Yea, I normally think of that level of dislike as resulting from someone being personally offended in some way.  Not so much from an inanimate object.
Can one imagine missioncoonery & tsushima1 in the same room?

Hmmm. Come to think of it, I've never seen them together at the same place and time. Interesting........
Post removed 
Yea, I normally think of that level of dislike as resulting from someone being personally offended in some way.
Someone said their Tektons were better than the speakers those guys have. You don’t think that is personal? What would you do in that situation? Any self respecting audiophile would get butt-hurt and go on a never ending mission to crap on any thread with any mention of Tekton.
missioncoonery & tsushima,
Sorry guys, I didn't go any farther than the link tvad added above, which showed (& still shows) 5 for sale. You guys are apparently bigger fans of Tekton than you are leading us to believe, since you dug further into it. 

Post removed 
Post removed 
I think a lot of those used Tektons for sale is the speakers weren't the original buyer's cup of tea.

They probably figured it was easier and less costly to sell out right rather than go through talking to an indignant Erik Alexander and going through a tedious "making like new restoration" so as to get all their money back in case of a return. I've heard he has taken money off the return price for things as little as finger print smudges. Wow...
Boxer, what is really interesting is that they invest so much time defending their position.