$2000 Tektons, which one for my use?

Hi,

I'm new here, glad I found this forum. I have a receiver from 2007, specifically the  Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH.
I'd like to hook up a pair of stereo speakers to listen to music only, no movie watching. There are quite a few choices in my price range for full-range speakers (Lore, Uruz, Perfect SET, Enzo XL)  I've read through their descriptions and customer reviews on Tekton website, but have not heard any in person. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so exotic specs and ultra exotic amps, DACs, interconnects,... are not in my realm of knowledge. I'm just looking for a fairly good pair of speakers to listen to rock music and classical. My music collection is all on CDs. I do have an SVS subwoofer (cylinder shape, about 4feet tall) that I can pair with the speakers. What would you recommend as a starting point? Should I consider mid-range speakers? Thank you for any advice!
atemoya

Showing 4 responses by oldhvymec

Couple of things first. What is the size of your room? Do you like or have room for floor standing speakers vs stand mount? 

Room treatment makes ok speakers sound good and good speakers BETTER.

The opposite is true of Great speakers, they only sound as good as the room they are in.. Bad room, BAD sound...

Just a few hundred bucks goes a long ways, if you're a DIY or get a good deal on used.. or don't buy super expensive stuff..

Someone else can chime in on speaker brand. Me I like small planar and ribbon designed speakers with FAST, light, round, voice coil speakers for bass.. pretty simple..

Enjoy..
dill? That's not like you..:-)

Let them say something first, maybe something changed. :-) Good fortune or a new puppy or rabbit in their life. :-)

Regards
OP if you go with Tektons there isn't anything in them that is expensive. The drivers are surely under 100.00 each and internal parts are pretty rugged (crossover). Used is a great way to go.

I think I herd of one driver being blown and there are a LOT of Tekton owners out there.. That means there are 30 + drivers at a time in Moabs.
That is a lot of drivers to NOT go bad, something is surely right I'd say..

Used means someone else was kind enough to break them in and pay for the smelly new paint coming out of the box in their house NOT yours.. :-)

15 X 18 is not huge. It is the same size as one of mine, I have to open two doors and two closets to de pressure the room. It works for me. I can hit 25-27 hz pretty easy with digital, getting real low is hard in a smaller room..

OFF subject BUT a story of "Buying NEW"

I did get burned on a pair of class D amps from Perth. NEW of course. Only one of a few times I did buy new and got torched to say the least.. I won't even go to that country because of it.. Really.. Each amp worked less than 20 minutes. 50 + years of buying stuff, usually it's used..

If God said go to Perth, I'd wind up in the belly of the BIG fish...

Time to feed the chickens..

Regards
That is loud, with a DBA that's thumpin', and with all those mid range drivers it's pumpin'. Ear plugs and muffs for me.. :-)

I get the ear bone tickle at about 92-95 db.. I have built in "turn it down" ears.