2022 Audio System Wish List and thoughts about streaming

I've been doing this at the end of December for years for a number of years now- so here goes one more time-

What is on your audio wish list for the coming year? 

For several years I anticipated the need to replace an aging (close to 20 year old) phono cartridge- I finally did that in 2021. I also changed the power supply for my turntable. I'm extremely pleased with my turntable. A friend gave me a slightly damaged but fully functional McIntosh subwoofer as well. All other gear is unchanged and with no desire to change anything.

I also bought a Bluesound Node which I am enjoying quite a bit. My ultimate goal is to use the Node in a bedroom system and go for a different streaming transport in my main listening area. I'm looking at the "usual suspects" - Aurender, Auralic, Lumin, etc. 

As far as adding new music, getting into streaming (I use Qobuz) has caused a musical explosion! Since getting the Node in September I've built a library of about 90 new to me albums. 

128x128zavato

No particular plans for 2022, but I didn't have any for 2021 and have a new, to me, amp. So we'll just see how the year goes. On your streaming quest zavato I'll just say that as an Auralic user I am a huge fan of their LDS app. To me the control app is a huge part of the streaming puzzle folks don't always consider. Unless you're using Roon of course.

I've been ready for my Technics SU-G700M2 for a couple of months now and it looks like it won't be available until February. It's been 8 years since I've upgraded my integrated and for some reason, I barely listen to anything anymore. 

Don't get me wrong as it's always rewarding when I do after a hiatus but for some reason, audio isn't doing for me lately. I think it's all from anticipation. 

As for streaming, I'm not into that. Curating collections and maintaining accounts don't do it for me. But that's just me. 

All the best,
Nonoise

I am with @fuzztone on the mono block GaN though Orchard has a very reasonably priced GaN MB and they look great on paper.

Sounds like MC when he was opining for his Raven.

I've been ready for my Technics SU-G700M2 for a couple of months now and it looks like it won't be available until February. It's been 8 years since I've upgraded my integrated and for some reason, I barely listen to anything anymore.

I am upgrading my Linn LP12 from the Akito tone arm to the Ekos se and swapping out the  sub chassis for the Keel.  

My VPI record cleaner failed yesterday, so I ordered a Nessie Vinyl pro + record cleaner. Should be a nice improvement over the noisiest record cleaner possible… smaller and more elegant as well.

Later in the year if my investing goes well, I will upgrade  my LP12 with the Radikal power supply, Basically taking it to the top to see if it can challenge my digital end.

The Stereo Ultra in dual mono is close but I can give up some power.

200 w into 4 ohms is plenty for my use.

@fuzztone Just checked their site at orchard and it is down??

I know deliveries were extended hope this is not a sign.....

Post removed 

It was a reasonable year in the salt mine…..have some DIY projects that may pan out, or not…no expectation bias..they are not inexpensive at $1k but why get jacked up about unheard hyperbole ? Probably buy a couple more vintage microphones for the studio i help with, tube power supply for the direct drive TT…certainly lots of records…hopefully God willing a ton of $ on great seats for live music at the Belly Up…my neighborhood “ bar “…..

Blessed and grateful really..

That guy who wiffed that shot would skate circles around you when he is drunk.

You have no skills dude.

So Noise why are you even here?  You bring nothing to the table other than well noise.

All the best muted you again.

It's been 8 years since I've upgraded my integrated and for some reason, I barely listen to anything anymore. 

This is your pace Noise:

Ice Skating Slip GIF - Ice Skating Slip Slide GIFs

Post removed 

Noise.

Not offensive just a fact.

You are a troll.

Hope you find your boy toy soon.

This skypunk flynn guy get all this free space in that obsessed empty head of yours.

Word. Mute.

Golly, one hour later I come back and you're still at it, like a little puppy nipping at all of my posts. Tammy's been around the block a few times and can tell who's zooming who so hold on as you'll probably be hearing from her soon.
Like I said, can't wait.

All the best,
Nonoise

No clue.  I’m pretty well set.  Listen to new gear when I can and see what happens I suppose. The usual thing. 

Post removed 

Being 66 years old I would really, really, really like to increase my streaming, but then I'm strictly a steadfast LP/CD type of guy.

I do check out new music on the WWW via this puter, but I rarely hear anything that I care for.

DeKay

1. Diy from scratch high end server, putting parts list together, $2.5K in parts alone

2. Need to bring my analog side performance up, way down on digital at present, so Audio Technica ART-9xa cartridge, VH Audio Odam caps in Modwright phono pre.

Summary:

Volumio Premium OS for existing Raspberry Pi based streamers

Qobuz

New MM Cartridge for recently purchased Pioneer PLX-1000 TT

Details:

For a couple of years, I think I replied with "streamer". A couple of years ago I built a couple of Raspberry Pi based streamers, running Moode Audio OS. I was never happy with them and a purpose-built streamer has been on my list ever since. However! A couple of months ago I downloaded and installed free Volumio OS on the 2 existing Raspberry Pi based streamers and I am now very happy with my 2 streamers. 

I cancelled my 1-year trial priced Tidal subscription due to not being particularly happy with the user interface, etc. I've had Spotify Premium for a few years and love the user interface and the discovery algorithms. Hope high-res arrives soon. 

So, for 2022, I'm going to trial Qobuz and upgrade my Volumio subscription from the free version to the premium version so I can get native Qobuz support, as well as the other features that premium brings. 

Additionally, I stumbled upon a near give-away priced Pioneer PLX-1000 TT late this year. It came with a lowly Ortofon Concorde mkII MIX DJ cartridge. However, even with this lowly cartridge, it surpassed my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB w/ Ortofon Blue cartridge in most respects. Based on this epiphany, I sold the Pro-Ject and I'm on the hunt for a cartridge for the Pioneer here at the beginning of 2022.

Happy (Audio) New Year to everyone!

Thought I was done but apparently not since I, 

• added a Khozmo passive this year to control volume remotely and provide a display when using my SMc Audio buffer - and that led into
  • recently purchasing a used Hattor The BIG preamp with Amtrans resistors and NewClassD opamp active gain stage, which led me to figure out that the SMc buffer betters the opamp active stage, which was good enough to make me want to...
  • pull the trigger on Hattor's Tube Active Stage that I will compare directly with the SMc buffer (both in unity gain) while using The BIG in passive mode (working with Arek this week on the purchase)
  • May try replacing the the two AN Silver Tantalum non magnetic series resistors in the SMc buffer with something else but no idea what else I might try after a review like this
  •  Would consider adding one or two more SW-12 subs to the two I have now
  • Making some XLR cables this week out of Furutech wire and some other stuff I have sitting around here so I can optimize lengths
  • Add Qobuz trial this week
  • Sell stuff I have around here that I no longer use or need

To @dekay - try the streaming, it is easy and opens the door to a lot of music as the OP posted.  We are about the same age and I got started with a server/streamer a few years ago, Roon lifetime, and Tidal.  Plan to add Qobuz trial this week and hardly ever play CDs anymore.

@jond - Pretty sure I am headed towards Auralic- and I agree- the user interface/app is tremendously important. I now have experience using Bluos as well as Audirvana to access Qobuz- I find Audirvana notably more flexible and Bluos is perfectly adequate

In 2019-2020 I upgraded or added

Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp

Don Sachs Kootenay 120 amp

Pangea 14 XL power cables (2)

Core Power 1800  Balanced Power conditioner

2021 additions

Teac NT 505 Streamer/Dac

TriPlanar Vll tonearm

As for 2022, I may have to take a break. Being retired and living on a fixed income has its $$$ challenges. However @70 yrs old, I figure I'm going to enjoy life til the expiration date arrives. So 2022 hopefully gets my streaming capabilities easier to manipulate. This might include

Aurender N100 server streamer which will help do away with some of the network hiccups. Though the Teac sounds really good, a better Dac may also bring this system to a pinnacle....well except for new cables, footers, PPT mats & filters,  fuses and on and on..................................................

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and that the new year is better for all of us.

These material things are really of little importance in the scheme of things. I learned this as a young man (29) with cancer. I had the chance to look death in the face for a month.  Best thing that happened to me because I learned what is important in life. Its about family, friends and relationships in general. How have you treated others? No one ever looked back from his death bed and said, I wish I had gotten that amp, or speakers. No one ever says I wish I had worked more. This life is a beautiful experience. I learned to "live like I was dying" long before Tim McGraw sang about it.  Maybe if we all learned that lesson, division may be lessened and true peace may come.

Live Like You Were Dying

2022 will be the year of capacitor upgrades to my Orchid dac and my speaker crossovers and a couple of subs and build the speaker wire connects.

If I don't screw it up and it actually sounds better I'll be done for the year.  The Golden Gate DAC will just have to wait.

Whir Click Click Bleep

Mitch2:

We have a new $1600 Apple lap top that’s still in the box after purchasing it 3-4 months ago.

Aside from buying items online (especially since Covid) I’m just not digitally motivated/inclined.

I already have most/all of the music I like on LP/CD/tape and I very rarely come across anything new that I wish to listen to a second time (sampling via YouTube and other venues).

This said, I do comprehend the "easy" side of streaming, but I can still navigate well enough to do it the old way.

Having six 20 pound pound bags of kitty litter still in the trunk of my car due to the flight of stairs they need to travel up in order to make it into our apartment is another story.

PS:

As far as my current streaming efforts go I find taking 25 mg of Zinc every other day helps a lot (personal experience and not endorsing such to others).

DeKay

Not much. My system is old from the mid 80’s and my only wish is it keeps going.

Have a great New Year

During 2021 I upgraded the amp to a used Schiit Ragnarok which turned out to be my best upgrade yet. I have just installed a dac card in it also.

For 2022 I hope I can upgrade my speakers since they are +20 years old and pretty basic. After that I might be set for a few years.

Considering a new Hi-Fi Racks - 3 level rack and moving components from in between speakers to side wall. 

Streaming - during 2021 purchased a Bricasti M3 with a network card and a SGC sonictransporter i5.  Set-up is working great in my room with my system and taste in music. 

I like on LP/CD/tape ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Must have a LP or CD in my hands to connect with the music, ,,,streaming is too digitalized, too modern. Not everything new is good.

Last year I bought a T+A SD3100HV for streaming with Tidal andLifetime Roon installed in MacBook Pro. Just bought a SGM Extreme to replace the MacBook Pro. Now waiting for delivery end of January. Now busy ripping all my CDs .

Post removed 

2022 Plans:

Firstly, reconnect my system with many unheard changes this year (new streamer, network switch, linear power supplies, recapped amp, fuses, ethernet cables, USB cable, coax cables, USB/SPIDF converter).

Then, replace/upgrade DC cables for linear power supplies, buy a LAN isolator, perhaps another grounding box.

If I sell some extra gear, may investigate Roon via John Darko's video.

Oh yeh, and try out Qobuz.

I don't listen to Robert

A stand alone streamer. With an app conducive to android and ease of use. 

Neither Mrs. nor Mr. Howell.

I am fairly all in on my Linn LP12 and just need to add the Keel sub chases and Kandid cartridge to bring it all the way up. Very happy where it is now however.

May get a Degritter for vinyl cleaning.

Perhaps an Audi A6 All-road or Audi Q8 depending if I can find the right one. 

@dvddesigner I replaced and old Arkiv B with a Kandid in 2021- The Kandid is an excellent cartridge; I'm using it with a Kore subchassis and I'm sure a Keel is a rock solid foundation.