Which preamp to go with pass labs x150.8

Hi all, 

I am getting Pass Labs X150.8. I am considering following preamps: 

Simaudio Moon P740 

Ayre KX-5 Twenty 

Audio Research LS28SE

Pass Labs X12

Which preamp would sound the best with the amp? 

Thanks for your input. 

128x128panerai557

As a general rule, the preamps are designed to go with the amps, but if you have the opportunity to try other brands, I’m a lover of the ARC sound, so I too would recommend the 28se.

Let is know what you decide.

depends what type of sonic signature you are seeking... everyone's 'best' is different

Audio Research. I have owned Pass amps for forty years and Pass preamps. The best mix to me (assuming you can;t afford an ARC amp) is an Audio Research preamp with Pass amp. I owned a Pass x350 for nearly 15 years.

Audio research old model amplifier is not expensive compared with pass amplifier.

I do not suggest a tube preamp with any SS amplifier,as it is not a good match.

Looks like Arc pre is the way to go? What about Ref 5 or 5SE? I know the particular model loved by many, but is it too old buy in the used market?

a REF5 or better yet an SE is a formidable preamp…. of course, i am biased….i have 5K hours of happy listening in w mine…..

Best to you and good luck on your musical journey

There are many including myself that would strongly disagree with this!

For Passlabs  branded preamp, I would look at Xp-22 or higher. Passlabs amplifiers are already dark sounding, so I would recommend matching them with the most transparent preamp you can afford. You already have a relatively smooth sound with the pass lab amps, so I would recommend matching it with a solid state preamp rather than tube, otherwise you risk losing details and dynamics

I owned an Audio Research Reference 5SE for nearly ten years… marvelous preamp.  If I had not upgraded the rest of my system and in the process my ARC to REF6se, I would still be very happy with it. For much of that time I had a Pass x350. A very happy combination.

@panerai557 Your amplifier has balanced inputs. If you want to get the most out of them, the preamp should support AES48 which is the balanced line standard. To the best of my knowledge, ARC has never made such a preamp despite being balanced.

An important tenent of AES48 is that the ground (shield) isn't part of the audio circuit connecting the preamp to the amp. Its only a shield. The actual audio signal is a twisted pair that's inside. This helps give you a lot of cable immunity as well as ground loop immunity.

There are tube preamps that support AES48 FWIW. I would widen your search.

I love the refinement and spaciousness of the sound of a good tube preamp.  My Cary Audio SLP 05 in front of the Pass XA25 sounds incredible.   It should also work well with the X150.8.  

I wouldn’t worry about the age of the unit and get either the Ref5 or Ref5SE if you want to try an ARC  preamp. 

no doubt pairing tube pre with ss power amp has been a well known much practiced recipe for audio happiness for ages

c-j and arc are tubed pre stalwarts, impeccable sound and quality, forever units from forever companies standing behind them

once again, it depends on what one is desiring the linestage to do sonically... even if one wants tubey goodness in the chain, is the linestage where it is introduced? there are wonderful tubed phono stages and dacs... you get the drift...

Some of us have tube DAC, pre and a hybrid tube / SS power amp….. and are saving $ or is it € for that tube power supply for the turntable…..

and are saving $ or is it € for that tube power supply for the turntable…..

i think maybe rubles are what may be needed Jim!! 🤣

Aric Audio! His preamps are a sublime pairing with SS gear. I have the original Motherlode first paired with Pass monos and now with a Coda Model 16 and I cannot speak enough about his tube knowledge, craftsmanship and customer service. 

+1 for Aric Audio. I'm using his Super 6SN7 (with upgraded PS and volume control) with my Pass X30.8. A great combo and big step up from my previous preamp, CJ CT-5. Aric has great customer service and can taylor his preamp to your needs.

Good luck

Okay, my .02.

While my equipment is different it might be revelant, I currently have a Pass 260.8 and run it wilth an ARC 5se. Before that I also used a ARC 28se (which is currently running with a ML 23.5)

Have always liked the sq of the mix of tubes and ss and had tried a number of tube and ss pre with these amps until I got to my current rigs. Not even considering a upgrade of either, but you never know when the bug will bite... 

+2 for Aric Audio. As I’m typing,I’m listening to Aric’s Motherlode II,and a First Watt J2.  I find the combination pure magic. 

I have a PS Audio BHK pre amp that I sometimes use with my  X250 and some times I use my BHK 250 amp both sound fantastic the tubs in the BHK sound a little warmer to my ears when I am listening to Jazz, All so in my opinion both of these companies offer the best in the  business service after the sale.

@mbmi - Have you heard the Audio-gd and what preamps are you making your statement against? Also, the reviewer offers zero context as to what against that preamp is the best ever he's heard

What a silly statement. Explain all the Hybrid integrated's on the market today and that are selling quite well. Rouge, Pathos, McIntosh, PL, Unison Research, Canor Audio, Mod Wright, Circle Labs, Vinni Rossi.

Are there any rules with matching power amp with a preamp?

I know about input and output impendence, where power amp should have at least 10x bigger input impendence . 
But what about input sensitivity of the power amp?

Asking this because I have XA30.5, driven by Primaluna Evo 400 preamp, and have slight problems with total gain. Primaluna has 10db of gain, Pass has 26db, and I have to use XLR attenuators between those two since music is just too loud, I can't go beyond 9 o'clock on volume pot (tested several position of attenuators, and on Pass XLR input they are totally transparent, no change in quality, just 10db less gain). 
Preamps usually have at least 10db gain, and power amps around 25-30db. 
So is input sensitivity of power amp something to check also? 

Agree with @jjss49 depends totally on what sound characteristics you’re looking for and how they match with your amp.  What pre are you using now?  I wouldn’t even consider purchasing a preamp until you’ve heard the amp in your system and identify more concretely what you want in a preamp.  Just my $0.02 FWIW. 

@runwell  "I do not suggest a tube preamp with any SS amplifier,as it is not a good match."

Have you had a tube pre and SS amp in your system; if so what were the components.  I have a Modwright LS100 tube pre and KWA100SE solid state power amp in my main system, sounds just fine. 

Yeah, “I do not suggest a tube preamp with any SS amplifier,as it is not a good match.” That is probably well intended, but just flat out wrong. 

@jerryg123  Yes!  There are a lot on the market, you just choose it. However, I do not say we can not make that combo and listen. I am asking the best sound you can get from the system, which  definitely not Tube pre +SS power.

simply tell me,which TOP TOP hifi syetem is in that combo = Tube pre +SS power.  It is just the trade off. and I just do not want that trade off in hifi system.

@facten  As I said above,it is good or best. It could be good. Never be best in that combo. By the way, yes,I have that combo many many years ago,and I just ditch it.

@soix   When you have no idea,and you are that thinking of others,right?

@ghdprentice Just want to know "HOW" that flat out?

@runwell  what is a top hifi system, if you are talking about systems at hifi shows of course you won't see that combo, most of the top amp manufacturers make their own preamps, so they are going to stick to the topology they know best, even if a tube preamp with solid state amp would sound better they aren't going to admit it or use it instead of their own design.

When you have no idea,and you are that thinking of others,right?

@runwell What the hell are you even talking about?

What are you even basing this insane statement on?  Many, many people here find combining a tube pre with a solid state amp to be the best of both worlds.  Again I say you’ve got absolutely no idea what you’re talking about and just spewing out mindless crap with no factual basis whatsoever.