McIntosh LB200?

What is your opinion of McIntosh LB200 - a box of nothing for $1,500? 

Ag insider logo xs@2xgubaface

Seems like a lot of cash for an empty box, even if it does have those cool green McIntosh lights and name. Maybe if they had included some of those big green meters too......but I get it, if you have everything Mc and wanted your DAC or phono-pre to match, it covers it up.

It's the first step of that private equity firm who bought McIntosh in bringing in a revenue stream. Or, so they think. That kind of thinking got us "premium" channels over the regular dreck.

All the best,
Nonoise

Sort of an Audio Clip-On Tie…….

Ugh.

I had to think but i have 3 bits of MC gear….1961 is the oldest…. hmmmmm…

Carry on !

It has been around before the private equity acquisition of the company.  It would also be the only current component by them that I would consider for inclusion in my system—it least it won’t screw up the sound.

I've wondered who buys stuff like that light box, the light box they previously sold and the clock?  At least with the clock, it had some sort of "function".

@nonoise, where did you get this information from?

To not see snark as a means of getting a point across....
c'mon man.

All the best,
Nonoise

Post removed 

@nonoise - sometimes irony does not translate in written posts as well as we would like it to be; you can't hear giveaway vocal intonations! 😁

A place for your Tice "Magic" clock? Well it does have a three-year warranty...

To soon for it to be PE. This was in the pipeline well before the trigger was pulled on this PE deal.

Anyone that knows anything about manufacturing knows this. Even if it is sourced there is no way you get this done in a week. 

It's the first step of that private equity firm who bought McIntosh in bringing in a revenue stream. Or, so they think. That kind of thinking got us "premium" channels over the regular dreck.

@stereo5 this may help and hurt at the same time. Looks like the brand is going down the retail hill. Hell Best Buy sells this stuff, oh sorry Magnolia. 

They had a week to stop such a boneheaded thing to do. Look at all the negative press they're getting. 

You think they care what YOU think. Nope. Bet they sell a buttload of them in certain markets. 

What do you care anyway? 

So this is the hill that juan wants to plant his flag on after his humiliation in an earlier thread? (check it out) Over something so little?

More like the hill to die on. One must choose their revenge more judiciously so as to have greater impact.

All the best,
Nonoise

McIntosh has had a similar product in production for years. Will someone please explain the reason for the righteous indignation the new model has sparked?

@nonoise Your ignorance about business, manufacturing and PE are astounding.

The tooling and productions costs have already been incurred and the PE group stands to take on a loss at the word go, due to EGO and what a low level audiophile's opinion is on this website. I am sure that McIntosh group had done their homework prior to the acquisition. I am sure their marketing people are more intelligent than you, for sure.   That is the hill I will stand on who gives a rats ass what you or any other clown on this fly speck website have to say about anything. 

You are quite full of it.  And the only reason you posted this BS was make a dig at the McIntosh owners on this site. 

McIntosh haters. McIntosh expanded their factory last year for better metalworking facilities, hired 20 more workers this year and are hiring 30 more before years end. These are all good jobs with good pay and benefits and all the money goes back into the US economy. You would think an American company that has been around for 75 years(I think) would get nicer comments, but not. This company sell more products in just the US than Pass and all the other coveted brands combined do in a year. They put much more into the US economy than all the others combined, year after year.

keep complaining about them, when I decide to sell my Mac equipment, I will get far more money than others will get on their coveted brands.  Actually, I will definitely  make more than I paid for them.  

@stereo5 I am not a hater nor am I a lover of McIntosh yes I have owned a few pieces of the equipment over the years . The only reason this was posted and noise are piling on is that they are Malcontents and they cannot afford the brand. 

@juanmanuelfangioii 

Hey, thanks for not only agreeing with me, but for being so hyperbolic in the hopes that your attack will cloud the fact that you're just on a witch hunt, trying to get revenge, which as I said, is being wasted on so small a matter. But, by all means, die on this hill.

Not to mention the asinine way you conflate the way I see a private equity group with how I feel about McIntosh owners, of which I've said nothing. You're grasping at straws and getting nothing. But, by all means, continue to make an ass of yourself.

All the best,
Nonoise

No straws no conflating you are what you are. 🐍 and a Malcontent. No one dies not on anything you stand for that is for sure. Talk about conflation and forum masturbation.

By your prodigious use of the word, dude, and other juvenile language, I'll wager you're just above street punk level with a good education and a serious inferiority complex that you compensate for, online. 

How close was I?

All the best,
Nonoise

Not even close. No inferiority complex especially to the likes of you. Great education (Citadel) and a leader in my industry. Great career and family. 

Can go days-weeks at a time not even looking at this forum un like you. 

Lets see you are struggling in your retirement and can barley make ends meet. You are an only child, your wife still works and you spend all day here on Agon being the King of this forum you and your 🤡

Enjoy your evening.

What an egotist! That explains a lot. The #1 public college of the South. Do they still do Civil War reenactments?

As for going days without looking at this forum, do you say that because I pointed out on another thread that you’re hanging on my every word? No one’s gonna buy that, dude.

I’m actually doing very, very well in my retirement and don’t really care for barley. I’m more of an oatmeal kind of guy. The more you lose it and start typing away with your gaffs and problematic syntax, you’re starting to sound more and more like someone else who used to post here who committed the same mistakes.

I have an idea: why don’t you just quit with this silly race car name, and then reinvent yourself (you’ve done that a few times already, haven’t you?) and try your luck again.

All the best,
Nonoise

Well this thread surely took an edified diversion.

Would it really take a lot of time for McIntosh to belt this stuff out?  I notice the online ads tend not to have it in stock, so maybe it is in the production phase.

Hey it’s an empty box with faceplate that doesn’t include the meters so maybe they can crank them.  And they clearly are going after the type of customer that will pay for a deluxe version of a classic vinyl album selling for $1K when they already own the album in 13 other formats.  As a corporate decision, it makes sense to separate those types from some more of their cash, no different from a shoe company selling a tee shirt with their logo emblazoned for $100

The old light box, was, well, just a light box.  The new one has an empty compartment to store misc. stuff like your Apple TV, smaller streamer, etc.  For us McIntosh users that have a rack of McIntosh, this is a great idea to hide stuff in your rack and keep things looking, well, fully McIntosh.

If I had space in my rack, I'd buy this.

Knowing how long it takes to get a product into production in a manufacturing environment, this light box was in the development process way before the current merger.

If you have a good relationship with your local McIntosh dealer, you don't pay $1500 (list price) for this.

@nonoise + 1 - you mean the name that new guy is using is the name of a race car driver? I don't follow car racing. 

But I'm not hip to Naomi Klein - please enlighten! 

@jheppe815 

Do you really want your Apple TV shoved in a box?The things work best if they have a clear path to detect the remote

@aberyclark,

My coffee tastes so much better in my McIntosh branded coffee mug my wife gave me post Fathers Day (shipping delays).  Luxman may have things like that available. 

More to discover