$3000 Speaker Search

I'm celebrating my 20th year working for the same company this coming spring (knock on wood). I decided to treat myself to some new speakers to celebrate. My budget is about $3k. I generally purchase used/demo gear only, but I'm open to something new since this is a special purchase for me. I stream music only and my current system is a Primaluna Dialogue One integrated, Eastern Electric MiniMax Dac Plus and Totem Acoustic Hawks. I like the Hawks a lot but I think the highs are a bit "etchy" and sometimes a bit bright. I'd prefer a 3 way speaker and something more efficient that the Hawks since I'm pretty committed to the tube integrated. I generally listen to indie rock, jazz, and acoustic rock. I listen to a lot of other music, but these are the genres most important so the speaker must excel with string and percussion instruments as well as vocals. I'm also more interested in a speaker with excellent imaging and soundstage over detail, but I also want a natural and dynamic sound. My listening space is a nook off the main living space. It's supposed to be a dining area I think. It's about 11x12, but open on one side to about 1000-1200 sq ft living space. You can watch this youtube video to see my system and room. Since the speaker is in my main living room it will have to be a good looking speaker, preferably in a wood finish, and it can't be huge.

I'm looking for any suggestions given my equipment, music tastes, room, and preferred genres. My current favroite is the Salk Song3 or maybe Song3-A, even though I haven't listened to them. I had Songtowers before and loved them so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with these, but not sure if going the Song3-A is worth the extra money for me. If you have any other suggestions let me know. I'm in Portland, OR so I have a lot of good brands to listen to around here but its not a huge audiophile town. Thanks!
abd1
This is pretty timely, I just went thru this same exercise. My room is 12’ x 11’ and we have similar music tastes. I ended up ordering the Revel Perfoma3 F206 for a great deal so I am going to try those. One I have them tuned in, I plan on trying internet-direct sellers that offer a free trial period and compare till I get what I like. Check out the SH music forums for the thread http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/speaker-shopping-with-3000-budget-what-have-you-heard-opinions.708014/

Here is the list of possibilities I have compiled:
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower RAAL
Aperion Audio Verus II Grand Tower
Axiom M100
B&W 703 S2
B&W CM9 S2
Cabasse Egea 3
Canton Vento 809.2
Coincident Dynamite
Dynaudio Excite X34
Focal Aria 926/936
GoldenEar Triton Two
Harbeth Compact 7es3
KEF R500/R700
Klipsch RF-7 II
Legacy Expression
Magnepan MG 1.7i
Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Monitor Audio Silver 10
Paradigm Prestige 75F
Philharmonic Slims Tower
Polk Audio LSi M 705
Proac Response DT8
PSB Imagine T2
RBH SV-6500
Revel Performa F208/F308
Ryan 620
Salk Song3
Scansonic MB-2.5
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5/3.0
Spatial Audio’s M3 TurboS
Spendor A5R
SVS Ultra Tower
Tannoy Revolution XT 8F
Tekton Double Impact (Electron, Pendragon, Impact, Enzo 2.7)
Vandersteen 2Ce
Von Schweikert VR-22
Wharfedale Diamond 250
Zu SOUL Mk.II/Superfly

I have the Salk Song 3 and feel they would be perfect for your style of music listening. I thought your video sounded excellent though.

Wow, that’s quite a list. Philharmonic slims were originally my goal but when Salk started producing the Song3 the slims went out of production. I’ll have to check out Revel. I’ve never heard them but people swear by them. 

@bubba12, did your song3’s come with the metal or bamboo midrange driver? What did you have prior? The Salks are very high on my list. 

The hawks do do sound great and fit the space perfectly. I just really want to go to a 3-way and hopefully get more midrange and midbass detail and energy, and not have a metal tweeter. I got the hawks for $1200 used and for that price they are fantastic. I might even keep them and put them in the bedroom since they’re so small. 

ELAC loudspeakers
https://www.elac.com/product/as-61/?r=us

Andrew Jones. TAD. Infinity. Focale. I may have missed others he has designed speakers for or with.
His new ELAC stand monitors come in exactly where your budget lives.

Check out the CES 2017 accounts on his latest iteration. They interest me a lot.

The other lengthy list already provided is loaded with plenty of good choices. I’d have said the Tannoy at $2600 given just the Article from Stereophile. Room size though might be an issue. Silverline makes a nice little floorstander too that might interest you. it sure interested a lot of folks when it was first introduced. The Prelude. . Easy to drive too.

Good luck.

I always see Salks paired with pretty hefty amps; I'm not sure if that's a cause for concern, or just what the manufacturer prefers.  The Song3 did look & sound real nice when I heard them last year, though.

The best advice is to demo as much as you can; ideally bring your amp to see if it's a decent pairing (unless you're okay with another an upgrade). 

I happened to fall in love with the ProAc Studio 148 after listening to one song (discontinued; I believe the DT8 is the replacement).  It just let the emotion through--without sacrificing either treble or bass extension--more than anything else I heard in that price bracket assuming your standard living room look. And this was with my humble Dayens amp; I've just upgraded to a First Watt M2 amp (amazing!), with even less watts (40@4ohms) and have no issues with power or loudness.  

Looking at cordobaman's list only the Tannoy and Zu stand out as being both more efficient and traditionally attractive.  

Hope this helps.

All good options. I would definitely consider the Elacs, but doesn't look like they're very efficient, and I would want a floor stander. I had the B5's, B6;s and UniFi bookshelves before and liked them all, especially for the cost. I considered Zu and may try some, but the style is hit and miss and I'd have to have my wife's approval on that. Tannoy's are a definite possibility and I wish I could afford a set of floorstanders that have the alnico driver. Maybe a used pair will somehow come up within my budget. I posted a message on the Salk forum and Jim said they had used tube amps with the Song3's and they sounded great. I do have a Peachtree Nova 220se that I could use for more power but I prefer the sound of the Primaluna/Eastern Electric combo overall, but I think the PL and Song3's should be fine.

I also have a 12’ x 11’ foot room. I have the Vandy 2ce Sig II’s. They are very nice and sound like they would meet your requirement of having excellent imaging and musicality over detail. Truth be told I wish they were more revealing a lot of the time.

If I had 3k to spend at the moment I would try the Tekton DI’s or the Electrons so I could hear for myself what all the hype is about! By most accounts they sound like an excellent product.

Good luck on your search!

Your current system is very good. If it were me, I would first play with some room treatment, especially the corner and behind the speakers and see if you can "warm up" the tone a bit. Your main challenge is the lack of symmetry between the two speakers and the huge open area. It would help if you could somehow "break" that space by putting a plant or something to create some refraction. I honestly think you’ll find it difficult to better the Hawks by much with only $3000 unless you just want a different sound. Finally, the Totem models I've heard; Arro, Forest, also seem to respond well to power; more power they get the warmer they sound. Good luck.
ProAc Studios, or look at Silverline for even more efficient and sweet-sounding speakers.
Acoustic rock or any halfway descently recorded rock/ metal on the Tekton DIs is epic. Probably way overkill for your room though. Favorites are Alice In Chains acoustic live and Eric Clapton live. Maybe Impact monitors or Electrons would be a good fit. 
I'm gonna be proactive here and say "Kiss It" to whoever is inevitably going to call me a fanboy. Gotcha first 😘. 
I used Ref 3A de Capos with my Primaluna PL2 and love them plenty loud.  Use the de Capos with a 4 watt sep tube amp and better sound just no complaints from the neighbors
I am interested in Tekton, but not for this room. I already know my wife enough that with 1 look she would nix those in our living room. She is supportive of me having speakers, but they have to look good, and the Tektons I know won't pass. However, I have a 12x16 theater/music room downstairs that they would work in. However, I'm pleased with my current setup there for now. So that room will have to wait.

Post removed 
+1 Twoleftears.  Proac and Silverline would seem to provide what you're looking for, and I'll add Joseph Audio as well.  Tough to find 3-way Proacs or JAs in your price range, but there's a pair of Silverline LaFolias at a bit over your price that would be really sweet and a huge step up from your Hawks.  Not sure why you're limiting to 3-ways as there are lots of 2- or 2.5-ways out there that go pretty deep.  Anyway, best of luck. 

I think I’m going to demo the ProAc DT8, Spendor A6 and D7 and possibly some other models from Focal this weekend....
Revel. Love the F206 in particular. Superb build quality and sound way beyond it’s price class. 
Given your preferences, I recommend you try and listen also to Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands.  There's something very special about that model.
You could get a pair of Gunned Maggies for that price. I have a pair of MMG's that Peter did for me and they are phenomenal.
At shows, the Spendors, Harbeths and Revels have always stood out as exceptional sounding speakers in that price range.  I came from Dynaudios and if I had to do it again I would probably step up my upgrade path through one of those brands.
I have owned or heard a number of speakers on your list and I vote for the Spatial Audio Speakers.  They are by far the more enjoyable speakers I have ever owned and are very easy to drive.  They fit very well in your budget.  
I 2nd the vote for Spatial Audio if you are looking for high efficiency or have room concerns. Although, I would look at the Triode Masters which are a little more, but well worth it in my opinion. I have owned Tekton (Enzo) in the past, nice speaker, however my Spatial TMs take my system to another level and are quite good for the price.
If you can get the speakers a couple feet away from the walls, you might try the Vandersteen 1ci. I just picked up a pair and I'm amazed at how much better they are than many higher priced speakers I've heard, some of which are on that extensive list in the second post. I've also heard the 2CE but that was years ago. Vandersteen speakers play the the full decay of notes that other speakers simply cut off. They also have far more pleasant tonal balance than most.

The 1ci is about 88 db sensitivity (realistically) with a minimum impedance of 4.8 ohms, which is no sweat for a tube amp in your room size.
Used something, because you can get like-new speakers for a little over half price (plus shipping).  This is particularly true in this price range, as people are always upgrading to macho-grade audio equipment.  I got Revel F212's for $2700.  Love 'em.
The Double Impact are by far the best I have heard at that price point. You need to get them in the gloss finish to look nice and get the grills so the unconventional driver array is covered for your wife.
In threads like this, everyone will inevitably recommend their favorite brand of speaker(s), and in many cases, with no considerations for the placement challenges or the gear. The MMG suggestion is a perfect example. I said this before, you can get a lot more performance from the Hawks by some very simple room treatment and/or placement tweaks. That would apply to any new speakers  you get if you have the burning itch to change.
What happened to your $3000 budget? The Spendor D7 is $7000 and the others that you are checking out are over 3 grand!
I know you mentioned floor standers but if you have the opportunity to demo the new Dyn S40's (stand mount) you may be very surprised how big they sound for being a monitor. MSRP for the S40 is 3K but not sure what the stand6 retails for. I had Dyn C1's driven by an Octave V70se and to me it was a match made in heaven. I found with the Octave/Dyn combo the original Tung Sol 6550 black plates (expensive) sounded the best. Ei KT90's were second best. You may want to also think about changing the input/driver tubes to Mullards to iron out some of the 'etchy' sound from the hawks.

Congrats on the 20 years and best of luck

I’ve been running my upgraded Reference 3a Veena with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium for about 3 years.  These speakers love tube power. Spectacular match.
About two years ago I changed from ProAcs to Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. I drive them with an old Arcam integrated amp and use an Arcam cd player and streaming from Tidal as my music sources. They sound terrific in my 18' by 30' living room and they look great. I have been very pleased with these speakers and would buy them again. Rock music sound wonderful on them as well. My goal is to upgrade to a tube amp but not gotten there yet. Consider the Sonus Fabers.
I'm still trying to stick to a $3000 budget, but I know that even if I get the Salk Song3's, after any mods to the finish and shipping, I'll be closer to $4k, and even more if I go to the Song3-A. Money isn't so much the issue as value and the diminishing law of returns. If I here something for $5k, or even more, that I have to have and fits my room and aesthetics then so be it. I just feel that $3-4k should get me where I want to go. That all being said I went out yesterday and listened to the following speakers: 

Aerial Acoustics 6t
ProAc D20R
Spendor A6R
Focal Kanta (ok, that is out of range but they had just put them out that morning and I couldn't not listen to them)

I wasn't really impressed the Aerial Acoustics 6t. I wasn't seriously considering them but the dealer was selling the floor model so I thought I'd listen. Very handsome speaker and the midrange and a beautiful liquid sound to them. The highs were detailed, but a bit recessed for me. I was disappointed in the bass. I actually thought maybe they were being crossed to a sub, but the sub was turned off. However, that wasn't the case. Suprised since on paper they go down to the mid 30's but I just wasn't feeling anything. I think it may have been the setup. They were pretty close together and weren't the feature setup in the room. That was the AA 7t's. When I say between those I got the full bass and they sounded great. Either way, the 6t's were too big and too much for what I got out of them, so I moved on. I would say, and this isn't meant as a slight to Aerial Acousticis, but they reminded me of my Aperion Verus Grands. Definitely more refined and detailed, but they look similar and both have a relaxed, smooth sound. I would say the Aperions give you at least 90% of the performance at 1/3 the cost. Just saying, for anyone who's ever been interested in Aperion.

The next place I went to carries a lot of speaker brands: ProAc, Spendor, Focal, Dali, Rega, Elac, PSB... I didn't have all day and the sales guy insisted I listen to the ProAc D20R and the Spendor A6R for today. He said to start at the top of the budget and work down and once you get to a point where you feel like you're giving up too much then you know where you need to be (good sales tactic).

So started with the ProAcs, which I loved. I know I said I wanted a 3-way, but I guess if the speaker delivers it delivers, and this delivered. It was like listening to my Totems on steroids, and with a smoother, lush top end, more detail and very dynamic. Really a great speaker, and handsome. However, I have some aesthetic issues with ProAc. First, I hate that they put the binding posts so high up. Makes me pay for longer cable and I don't like have cables hanging, and I HATE that you can easily see the posts for the grills when they're off. These aren't dealbreakers but if they had lower posts and magnetic grills they would be almost perfect. I was impressed with the tweeter. It was the first ribbon tweeter I've heard and it sounded airy, detailed, but not cold or harsh. It actually sounded a bit rolled off at the very top and I could listen to it all day.

Next was the Spendor A6R. I loved these as well, but they're a small step down from the ProAcs in performance (as they should be for $1000 less). Aesthetically they are similar to the ProAcs, but they put the posts in the right spot and do a better job concealing the posts with grill removed, but they're still there. I wish manufacturers would all use magnets! Anyway, another handsome speaker that would look great in my space and that I know my wife would like. How did they sound? Excellent as well, but a bit lighter in presentation compared to the ProAcs. The tweeter was great, with great air and detail, but not quite as natural as the ProAcs. Bass was tight and detailed, but with just a little less weight than the ProAcs. Imaging and soundstage were almost exactly the same, and both were excellent, similar to my Totems. I would be very happy with these speakers as well.

So, I was getting ready to leave but wandered upstairs where they were breaking in the Focal Kanta speakers that just arrived. Wow! Stunning look. Not for everyone, but certainly makes a visual statement. I saw pics earlier and didn't love them, but in person with the grey front and wood wrapped back they were stunning. And, the sound was intoxicating. Bass was super deep and smooth and detailed. The beryllium tweeters had so much air and texture it was amazing. It was a treat to hear these. They had only been out 2 hours, so when I go back to hear more options I will definitely sit with these for a couple tracks. Maybe one day...

Anyway, no decisions yet, but moving along.

Also, I respect Tektons and want some eventually for downstairs, but not this room. 
Not sure why you are so focused on 3 ways but I would further support you look at the Spatial Hologram speaker line.  You get a long period of to return if you don't like them but it is hard to believe you would not like the sound.  They do have an unusual look to them but are extremely room friendly and have a magic soundstage that makes them disappear when listening.  Obviously we mostly promote the speaker we have but I've been through a plethora of brands/sizes including several I built myself etc. and have no urge to look further at the moment with the Spatials.

Spatials are certainly a speaker I’m interested in but I thought they needed more room and space. I also think my wife will veto the looks. I think they have a modern 80s aesthetic that I like but she thinks they look weird. I think that spatials could work someday in my downstairs room. 
Very much enjoying my Revel Performa3 F206. Were a bit forward in the beginning, but as they break in they get better and better and better by the day.  They are cosmetically very nice, I like the magnetic grills.

Been a few late nights lately, just one more song....
Room acoustics mean just as much as speakers. Speakers normally sound vise ve the equipment driving them and room acoustics combined. Tower speakers when combined with the right sub can be amazing! For your price range I’d shoot at Polk! What model depends on sub! Never heard towers solo that filled the bill. All the best.

I am a little late to the party, but I would recommend the speakers I own, Ohm Walsh 2000 ($2800/pr). They are available in a wide variety of veneers, are not too large, and work well in my space, which, like yours, is a smaller nook open to a larger area.

I am not sure they are a good match for your amp, but a quick call to John Strohbeen of Ohm would anser that question (don’t email, you will get a much faster reply by phone).

They come with a 120 day home trial, so you are only our the round-trip shipping if they are not for you. I tried them 8 years ago, and kept them. I am still very pleased with how they sound, and IMHO, they offer an incredible bang for the buck.

These may be the "best speakers in the World" - certainly for their price and size - read the reviews, and you'll understand.

I’ve got 2 pair - and... I’ve not heard anything to challenge them at many times their price. Though, they do have exceptional resolution of detail - if you’re not a fan of that.

http://www.wavetouchaudio.com/products.html

http://www.wavetouchaudio.com/reviews.html

Otherwise... I’d 2nd the recommendations of the Spatial Audio OB’s and the Magnestand’s (which I also have).

Nothing else mentioned comes close to any of these.

@bassdude2

I don't doubt that these speakers are excellent, but when you say that "nothing else mentioned comes close to any of these," is this conclusion based upon extensive listening comparisons you have done with ALL of these speakers? I am just wondering how you arrived at this fairly startling conclusion.

That list of possibilities listed above is pretty extensive. It would be impressive indeed if you had heard them all.

Most of them... and... yes, I can say this without reservation.

Read the reviews - not just my opinion, but those of many, many others.

If you don’t believe them... try these speakers and see for yourself... it will cost you nothing, but the price of the shipping.

By the way... my ideal choice of speakers would be the Legacy Audio Aeris, or some of the upper end Gamut’s, or Focal’s, or Magico’s, or Tannoy’s... but the WaveTouch Audio speakers with a very similar sound will do fine... at a much, much lower price.
bassdude2 - Not for nothing, but "most" is not "all".  As JGH used to say, if you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion.
Though... I should mention... that if you're sensitive about the appearance of your speakers... the WaveTouch Audio speakers have a bit of an "other worldly" appearance, and do not rival the "finish" of many others.  

My priorities, however, are the sound quality... not the appearance.  And... in that regard... there are few which compare.
bassdude2,
I have not heard Wavetouch speakers, so I can't comment on their sound. But looking at the reviews, they look like they're from mostly a bunch of "no-names, as far as reviewers go. Other then getting a heads up on a product, I am very reluctant to trust a reviewer's opinion. I trust my own ears.....
Hello abd1,

I have not listened to any of the speakers on your list..... 

I went through a similar process a while back, wanting to upgrade to a nicer pair of speakers and listened to quite a few different systems trying to find the one speaker for me.

Well, as you know, that's a very tough process.

While auditioning speakers, one of the front runners were the Totem Forest Signatures.  I think you can find them very close to your price point on the used market.

Good luck with your search.