$3000 Speaker Search

I'm celebrating my 20th year working for the same company this coming spring (knock on wood). I decided to treat myself to some new speakers to celebrate. My budget is about $3k. I generally purchase used/demo gear only, but I'm open to something new since this is a special purchase for me. I stream music only and my current system is a Primaluna Dialogue One integrated, Eastern Electric MiniMax Dac Plus and Totem Acoustic Hawks. I like the Hawks a lot but I think the highs are a bit "etchy" and sometimes a bit bright. I'd prefer a 3 way speaker and something more efficient that the Hawks since I'm pretty committed to the tube integrated. I generally listen to indie rock, jazz, and acoustic rock. I listen to a lot of other music, but these are the genres most important so the speaker must excel with string and percussion instruments as well as vocals. I'm also more interested in a speaker with excellent imaging and soundstage over detail, but I also want a natural and dynamic sound. My listening space is a nook off the main living space. It's supposed to be a dining area I think. It's about 11x12, but open on one side to about 1000-1200 sq ft living space. You can watch this youtube video to see my system and room. Since the speaker is in my main living room it will have to be a good looking speaker, preferably in a wood finish, and it can't be huge.

I'm looking for any suggestions given my equipment, music tastes, room, and preferred genres. My current favroite is the Salk Song3 or maybe Song3-A, even though I haven't listened to them. I had Songtowers before and loved them so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with these, but not sure if going the Song3-A is worth the extra money for me. If you have any other suggestions let me know. I'm in Portland, OR so I have a lot of good brands to listen to around here but its not a huge audiophile town. Thanks!
abd1
I know you mentioned floor standers but if you have the opportunity to demo the new Dyn S40's (stand mount) you may be very surprised how big they sound for being a monitor. MSRP for the S40 is 3K but not sure what the stand6 retails for. I had Dyn C1's driven by an Octave V70se and to me it was a match made in heaven. I found with the Octave/Dyn combo the original Tung Sol 6550 black plates (expensive) sounded the best. Ei KT90's were second best. You may want to also think about changing the input/driver tubes to Mullards to iron out some of the 'etchy' sound from the hawks.

Congrats on the 20 years and best of luck

I’ve been running my upgraded Reference 3a Veena with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium for about 3 years.  These speakers love tube power. Spectacular match.
About two years ago I changed from ProAcs to Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. I drive them with an old Arcam integrated amp and use an Arcam cd player and streaming from Tidal as my music sources. They sound terrific in my 18' by 30' living room and they look great. I have been very pleased with these speakers and would buy them again. Rock music sound wonderful on them as well. My goal is to upgrade to a tube amp but not gotten there yet. Consider the Sonus Fabers.
I'm still trying to stick to a $3000 budget, but I know that even if I get the Salk Song3's, after any mods to the finish and shipping, I'll be closer to $4k, and even more if I go to the Song3-A. Money isn't so much the issue as value and the diminishing law of returns. If I here something for $5k, or even more, that I have to have and fits my room and aesthetics then so be it. I just feel that $3-4k should get me where I want to go. That all being said I went out yesterday and listened to the following speakers: 

Aerial Acoustics 6t
ProAc D20R
Spendor A6R
Focal Kanta (ok, that is out of range but they had just put them out that morning and I couldn't not listen to them)

I wasn't really impressed the Aerial Acoustics 6t. I wasn't seriously considering them but the dealer was selling the floor model so I thought I'd listen. Very handsome speaker and the midrange and a beautiful liquid sound to them. The highs were detailed, but a bit recessed for me. I was disappointed in the bass. I actually thought maybe they were being crossed to a sub, but the sub was turned off. However, that wasn't the case. Suprised since on paper they go down to the mid 30's but I just wasn't feeling anything. I think it may have been the setup. They were pretty close together and weren't the feature setup in the room. That was the AA 7t's. When I say between those I got the full bass and they sounded great. Either way, the 6t's were too big and too much for what I got out of them, so I moved on. I would say, and this isn't meant as a slight to Aerial Acousticis, but they reminded me of my Aperion Verus Grands. Definitely more refined and detailed, but they look similar and both have a relaxed, smooth sound. I would say the Aperions give you at least 90% of the performance at 1/3 the cost. Just saying, for anyone who's ever been interested in Aperion.

The next place I went to carries a lot of speaker brands: ProAc, Spendor, Focal, Dali, Rega, Elac, PSB... I didn't have all day and the sales guy insisted I listen to the ProAc D20R and the Spendor A6R for today. He said to start at the top of the budget and work down and once you get to a point where you feel like you're giving up too much then you know where you need to be (good sales tactic).

So started with the ProAcs, which I loved. I know I said I wanted a 3-way, but I guess if the speaker delivers it delivers, and this delivered. It was like listening to my Totems on steroids, and with a smoother, lush top end, more detail and very dynamic. Really a great speaker, and handsome. However, I have some aesthetic issues with ProAc. First, I hate that they put the binding posts so high up. Makes me pay for longer cable and I don't like have cables hanging, and I HATE that you can easily see the posts for the grills when they're off. These aren't dealbreakers but if they had lower posts and magnetic grills they would be almost perfect. I was impressed with the tweeter. It was the first ribbon tweeter I've heard and it sounded airy, detailed, but not cold or harsh. It actually sounded a bit rolled off at the very top and I could listen to it all day.

Next was the Spendor A6R. I loved these as well, but they're a small step down from the ProAcs in performance (as they should be for $1000 less). Aesthetically they are similar to the ProAcs, but they put the posts in the right spot and do a better job concealing the posts with grill removed, but they're still there. I wish manufacturers would all use magnets! Anyway, another handsome speaker that would look great in my space and that I know my wife would like. How did they sound? Excellent as well, but a bit lighter in presentation compared to the ProAcs. The tweeter was great, with great air and detail, but not quite as natural as the ProAcs. Bass was tight and detailed, but with just a little less weight than the ProAcs. Imaging and soundstage were almost exactly the same, and both were excellent, similar to my Totems. I would be very happy with these speakers as well.

So, I was getting ready to leave but wandered upstairs where they were breaking in the Focal Kanta speakers that just arrived. Wow! Stunning look. Not for everyone, but certainly makes a visual statement. I saw pics earlier and didn't love them, but in person with the grey front and wood wrapped back they were stunning. And, the sound was intoxicating. Bass was super deep and smooth and detailed. The beryllium tweeters had so much air and texture it was amazing. It was a treat to hear these. They had only been out 2 hours, so when I go back to hear more options I will definitely sit with these for a couple tracks. Maybe one day...

Anyway, no decisions yet, but moving along.

Also, I respect Tektons and want some eventually for downstairs, but not this room.