Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
No. I didn't say you could purchase the 804s for $5k. I said you can purchase speakers that sound much better than the 805s for less than $5k. In fact, you can purchase speakers that sound much better than my 804s for much less than $5k. I know. I've done it. But this isn't the thread for a speaker discussion. Just wanted to clarify my earlier comments since you asked.
Back to your original question... since I've never heard any of the other amps you've mentioned, I wouldn't venture a guess as to if the Lyngdorf would improve the sound of the 805s or not vs them. All I can offer is my experience with my B&Ws. The 2170 did sound better with my 804s vs a number of different amps I auditioned side by side prior to settling on the 2170.
I prefer using the 805 D3 bookshelf speakers for my bedroom. Overall, I’m very satisfied and happy with the overall performance of my bedroom setup (B&W 805 D3 paired with the Naim Uniti Nova). But I was just curious how the Naim Uniti Nova would compare to the Lyngdorf 2170 & 3400 on the B&W 805 D3. That’s all. I’m most likely not changing anything in my bedroom setup. Again this is only my bedroom setup. I do have a separate main two-channel setup and system in my dedicated well treated listening room which consists of completely different gears and system using large floorstanders and separate gears with both digital and analog front end source components.

But for my bedroom setup I would like to keep things simple and compact.
Btw, earlier you said the B&W 804 D3 can be had for $5k? cause the new B&W 804 D3 retail for $9k/pair new and the new 805 D3 retail for $6500/pair without the stands.
Caphill I'm not familiar with the other amp, but I am familiar with the B&Ws. I still have a pair of 804s. If you're looking for the best sound improvement for a $5k investment, I would replace the 805s. That may be a bit too much honesty on my part. If so, I apologize.
Bill is right, the portion of the circuit devoted to handling digital inputs needs to be utilized to get burned in, so please try it that way for a couple weeks.
@bullitt5094

Yes, I know it re-digitizes.  It doesn't seem to make sense but I feel I got back a little bit of air and dimensionality using the Yggdrasil.

As I said, I'll try sending the digital directly to the 3400 again later on and hear how it seems...
I'm using the Naim Uniti Nova to drive the B&W 805 D3 bookshelf speakers. This is only my bedroom setup. I do have a main setup in my dedicated listening room. 
Just curious how the Naim Uniti Nova would compare to both Lyngdorf 2170 & 3400. The Naim Uniti Nova has phenomenal streamer/DAC/clock. 
Curious how would both Lyngdorf (2170 & 3400) stack up against the Naim Uniti Nova. Has anyone made direct comparison? The Lyngdorf’s amplifier sections are class D whereas the Naim Uniti Nova’s amplifier section is analog or class AB.

I do own the Naim Uniti Nova for my bedroom setup paired with a pair of B&W 805 D3 stand-mount speakers. But I’ve never heard the Lyngdorf 2170 nor 3400. I know that the Naim lacks any room correction. Just basic sound quality alone without Room Perfect engaged on the Lyngdorf.

The Naim Uniti Nova is basically a streamer/DAC/integrated amp all in a single chassis. The Uniti series is Naim’s entry level series.

Any inputs or thoughts? Out of curiosity.

MRPPV the Lungdorf just takes the analog and converts it right back to digoal. You would likely have better results keeping it digital but running it through a digital processor prior to the Lungdorf as I and some others do.
Received my TDAI-3400 today.  It's a very well thought out device and very easy to setup with Room Perfect. I did 4 measurements to get to 96%.  The sound quality did improve subtlety in the bass and the delineation between instruments improved noticeably as well. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and just had a few questions regarding the remote control.  What is mic for? Why does pressing the Voice or Audio or any of the 3 musical 🎶 buttons on the bottom do nothing? 
So I did end up getting the HQ analog input module for my 3400.

For me / my system / ears, feeding the digital signal from  Bryston BDP-2, to Yggdrasil DAC, to the new analog (XLR) input on the Lyngdorf sounds better.  The 3400 is still doing room correction, preamp, and amp duties.

Someday I'll try sending the digital signal directly to the 3400 again and see if I still feel the same way.
Any chance anyone here has a 3400 and wants to give us all feedback? (especially if you were formerly a tube guy).
Post removed 
You would need to look at your sub schematics and your amp .
Some units that are fully balanced cannot have subs hooked up in the normal accepted fashion via the speaker terminals, pos to pos and neg to neg. 
There are ways round this but you would need research it and there are some threads here on that subject.
I assume that the TACT does not have a dedicated sub out or variable analog out and you were thinking of connecting via the speaker terminals?
I have the TACT 2150 which is quite similar, and was told that a sub would blow my amp. Something to do with grounding.
That's the impression I got reading through the thread  , to get the speaker placement first but I either missed or was never said about how to set it up,  looked like most had either a computer or streaming device hooked to it when all I would use  for now is a CD player. so I could'nt tell if those were necessary for the room perfect. I see a used one on audio mart  with all modules for $3750 now the hard part.. decide. I was about to pull the trigger on a McIntosh ma252 hybrid when I happened upon this thread. Thanks again for the info. 
This is similar but it is best to run music through it and get best speaker placement possible before then running the room correction.
You will move the Mic around the room at the prompts so it gets a full picture of your room acoustics.
It is actually pretty impressive the change it usually makes to the sq.
Yes that's what was wondering. Many moons ago I had a Denon when I dabbled with  surround sound that did the tones to help you place speakers. Had it hooked to a Pioneer Laser player that used those huge disc's the size of an LP. Thanks uberwaltz
All you need are the speakers connected to the amp and its microphone.
It is a fairly simple process that is well documented in the manual.
Basically once you start the room correction program the amp outputs various "noise" through the speakers which are test tones the Mic reads and feeds back into the amp.
It is completely self contained no computer needed.
I could go into more depth but that should be enough for you to get the gist of what is required and what occurs
 Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but having recently downsized to a condo and my main music room is now my living room I noticed this thread about the lyngdorf and room correction. At the moment I will only be connecting a CD player either through analog or digital coax to the amp and was wondering can the room correction be run this way? Is it necessary to use a computer to run the sound correction, or does the amp output the signal tones for the mic? 
Ha Lungdorf typo! Yes, they do seem responsive.  Shipped the part I needed from Denmark to my home in 2 days! 
That's good to hear Bill.  Things can always go wrong.  What's more important is how the dealer/manufacturer respond in that situation.
Lungdorf’s service is first rate as an FYI.  They are not new to HEA selling gear for many years already. 
I recently changed my speakers to a pair of triangle atlea esw and tbh the 2170 sounded best running in bypass mode for the room correction.
Odd because with two previous sets of speakers, Wilson Witt and Scansonic mb2.5 the focus setting gave quite a bit better result.
So yes there is something to be said here for differing results with differing speakers.
Haven't been to this thread in quite a while.  While I was interested in this product a few months back, it's disappointing to hear about some reliability issues here (relays, switches, etc).  Also interesting to note some users felt the room correction of be detrimental to the sound.  Obviously room acoustics/speakers will influence this but still seems a bit odd.  Will be interested to see how Lyngdorf does over the long haul. 
I'm a bit puzzled on that too. And what amps are you waiting for to go with the MP-50?

@dancastagna
Let me get this straight , you bought both the 3400 and the MP-50 ?
They told me they would go over when installing. the 3400 wont get in till mid Aug also bought the mp-50 which is in and waiting on amps to install. super excited!   
@dancastagna, yes.  Copy pasting from Lyngdorf's manual:
  1. Phase adjustment should be 0°. 
  2. The subwoofer cut-off frequency should be set to the highest possible frequency range. 
  3. Level should be set to 50% of maximum volume 

How did rep / shop recommend you do it?
Hi skalyoncu,  so the subs play stereo set up like that and all the cross over duty is now done in the 2170?  I bought a 3400 that wont be in till mid aug and the sub integration was at the top of list for me, but your the first one I have heard using. lot different than rep or shop telling me. I also bought into a pair of there subs. 

I would likely take the analog outputs set to stereo mode IF I had 2 identical subs but I do not.
I have an old 8 inch sub and a newer 12 inch sub
So I have the analog output set to mono and take a mono out to a 2 way adapter to feed both subs with the same mono lf signal.
Then I use the gain and crossover on each sub to set to my taste having the basic crossover set at the 2170 at 90hz.

Not sure if it is best way but seems to give good enough results so far.
Still breaking the new speakers in so have not run anew room correction yet and I guess we will see another difference after that.
@uberwaltz I am running 2170 with two subs. 
My set-up is basically: B&W 805 D2 and B&W ASW610XP on left and right side of the speakers.

I simply connected them to left and right analog output on the amplifier and then ran room perfect.  Works like a charm :)

That being said, I am happy to hear if others have experience trying other ways to set it up.

Any one have experience with there BW-2 sub? or  Considering adding to a pair of Thiel 3.7's and run with 3400, Also thinking in my bed room running there FR-1 with pair of bw-2  Do you think the 3400 is over kill? my thought is down the line the 3400 can run more speaker options. My bed room has turned into the safe haven for LOUD play while wife is not home. (and not in bed room) :)  

Has anyone compared the Lyngsorf MP-50 in 2-channel stereo to the 2170/3400? Are they on par with each other, or any decernable differences? I’m curious to know if one could obtain the quality of the 2170/3400 with the MP-50.
Thank you Craig and Robert

Will be looking at the SVS, HSU subs in more seriousness.
$699 brand new is not horrible and there should be a few used or open box examples around.

Your sub goes down to 14 hz -- which handles almost all musical instruments in the world save a few very large pipe organs that have pipes going down 6 cps more to 8 cps.

So your most excellent sub is close to handling all of the world's bass instruments, but not complete.

Did you read the rest of the text?

HUH  ?close , but not complete ???.... 
I do not understand your statement 

grey9hound:

Close, but not complete. The 64 foot stop on a pipe organ goes down to 8 cps.

But then again, there are only 2 or 3 of these organs left in the world. And they're hardly ever regulated well. And you can't hear it, of course. But it can make a tremendous shake.

SOOO...find a sub that will go this low and I suspect you'll be the only one on your block.

Speaking of subs,  there is a guy here in Knoxville..David Gage, of Deep Sea Sound , that makes a sub called the Marianas 24.
It is a 24 Inch sub, with the articulation of a 10 inch sub. It also plays really deep and flat . I was getting output in my room down to  14hz. It was only about 2-3 db down.
This is absolutely the best sub that i have ever heard.

uberwaltz:

I have this sub and can attest to its even frequency response from 16 to 150hz and a tremendous amount of energy through the entire range. The two ports are tunable:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis90776-hsu-research-vtf-3-monitors

And its close to your price point.

BUT don't let me keep you from saving some funds...

Just been researching the SVS subs.

A little more than I planned but that's pretty common in this game....lol.

Tbh, this little Jensen sub that I have owned for near 20 years has slotted in seamlessly. Obviously being only 8" and OLD it does not go that low but it has added some bottom end colour to the Scansonic,s and is earning its keep.

Maybe I save some money for a change...
Uber,

I use/used an SVS SB2000 when I had the 2170. Those are on sale now for $699 which is an absolute steal. I know that’s over your budget, but IMHO it’s easily worth double that. Sealed box, with the 2170 setup correctly, it will absolutely disappear in your space.

I’ve gone through many, many components over the past few years (as you know) but the SVS has always kept put.

Highly recommended.
Mofojo.
That is a very good point for sure.
Pure and basic and quality is all I really need at this stage.
Could probably get into a JL Dominion for around that price. I have the Fathom F113 and it’s pretty freakin fantastic. Heard the Dominion D8 and it’s really impressive for the money. One thing to keep in mind is a lot of money in the more expensive subs are going to be because of room correction/dsp. You won’t be using any of that with the Lyngdorf as I’m sure you know. 

Don't have a 2170 but am always working with subs and SVS and HSU are two of the top brands. SVS has the new DSP options well developed and HSU is spectacular with low frequency evenness down to 16hz.

Might be some used ones around in the $400 price range.

Have a question for those running a sub on their 2170.

What are you using and how did you set it up for best results?

I recently downsized my speakers to Scansonic mb2.5 and while bass is fair it does not compare to the Wilson's they replaced.
So just to test I added an old sub I have lying around, an old Jensen 8" sub, cheap and cheerful but wanted to make sure there would be some improvement.
Looking to stay under say $400 used if possible.
Mofojo.

Have heard of a couple of people having issues on an update, do not remember what one of their solutions was but it should be right here in this thread somewhere.
I only updated mine once right out of the box and had no problem at all.
Good luck.