Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 24 responses by aniwolfe

Like Kenny, my listening room is also my living room. So room treatments was something I wanted to avoid at all costs. The 2170 is the most impressive piece of equipment I have owned, when it comes to technology, features and sound. 
I agree with you completely however, the 2170 only has locked preset EQ settings, the 3400 has full adjustable EQ.
The one thing that interests me about the 3400 that I wish the 2170 had, is the adjustable EQ.
Not crazy about the preset ones on the 2170.

Also if anyone is interested in getting more posts about the 2170 from another thread.
go here https://www.avforums.com/threads/lyngdorf-discussion-thread.1580956/
@jcarcopo 

Experiment as you wish my friend. However the beauty of the Lyngdorf is that you should not need all those extra boxes to make it better, otherwise why even get it?
@radiohead99

Make sure RoomPerfect is on Neutral/ Focus all the time. I have sometimes had RP on Bypass (off) or had RP on Global by mistake. Not nearly as good sounding as Focus.

What room correction % did you have? The % readings is in the settings somewhere.

I originally had Dipoles speaker with sealed bass module, which didn’t need much room correction..about 9%
Then I got regular cone driven floorstanders and I got about 18% room correction.
@corelli

I am currently using a Simaudio Transport with the Lyngdorf and enjoy it quite a bit. I use S/PDIF out from transport to a reclocker to the S/PDIF input on the Lyngdorf. The Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh reclocker is a very nice addition. Made digital less digital sounding.

I had the Primaluna Dialogue Premium. I enjoyed the PL, but find the Lyngdorf to be more refined top to bottom. I hated the volume control of the PL. The 2170 volume is really amazing. I can fine tune volume perfectly. Plus the added room correction put it over the top.

No ballpark figures really IMHO. Different speakers and rooms with have different %’s.
In the same room I had 1 speaker that got 9% correction and the other was about 18%.
Question: 
@kdude66 
@grannyring 

When you set the volume for your Room Perfect reading. Do you use "suggested" or "current"? My thinking is you would use the "current" because that might be your average preferred volume level. If the "suggested" volume was selected its possible your reading might be different compared to "preferred". Have you experimented with that at all?

I know that I listen between 40 and 29. So I usually pick default 35 volume level.
Just wanted to let everyone know, that while the 2170 is the best component I have ever owned. I did have to send it off to Denmark today to be fixed. Its appears I have 2 or 3 possible issues. Nothing that made the Amp inoperable, but I feel these issues needed to be taken care of. Too bad no one in the US could have repaired it.

I know, these are electronics and stuff happens, but this amp was not cheap...at least for me. The first thing that is wrong is the volume knob is defective. When I use it to set my volume it gets stuck between 2 volume numbers. (i.e. 35.0/35.1) Now while I use that knob maybe 0.00001% of the time, I want everything in the unit to be 100% functional. The concerning part is why does a part of the unit that I rarely use die in just less than a year?? Don’t know to be honest. Stuff happens...I get it.

The other minor things I am sending it in for, loose RCA jacks on the back for OUTPUT and I feel the display does not look right sometimes. What I mean is that the text sometimes looks scrambled.

So anyway, just thought I would share with 2170 owners this info. Also, I would like to say Lyngdorf customer care has been excellent to deal with. Very responsive and quick to supply shipping label and instructions.
No music for me for about 2 weeks or so...ugh :(
@gryphongryph

Thanks for the very insightful info...I think I will not buy it now based on your views on the looks of the unit. We need more posts like yours on Audiogon. Very encouraging!

Supposedly they are coming out with a new faceplate because of all the complaints lol
@bullitt5094 

I think the technology in the Tektons seem to make the Room Perfect obsolete lol?
@bullitt5094
It was a joke..lol. I think sometimes things get too personal and serious here on the Agon.

Have your tried a very minimal RP reading. Like lower than 90%?
See if its possible to get a reading in the 70's or 80's.
I am happy to report my 2170 arrived from Denmark a few days ago. The repair service was flawless. They replaced the glass relays for the volume knob and also installed a brand new display. The display was very much readable, however it did change since I bought it. So I asked if they could check it out and they replaced it. Hassle Free. Lyngdorf pulled through big time.
@uberwaltz 
Sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad as they say. Wireworld makes great cables, however I find the silver based offerings to be more on the analytical side of things. I still own the 5.2 Eclipse Speaker cables which I find very musical...however I sold the Silver Eclipses because they were too much for my ears too handle. At bit bright on a system that was on the neutral side of things.

For those that like to experiment with RoomPerfect. I was trying to figure out a way to add a loudness-like setting for low level listening at night. What I did was. I moved my speakers about 7 inches forward from the back wall. I created a 2nd speaker setting and ran RP. Moved my speakers back to its original position and noticed more low bass and little more highs.

Next I am thinking about stuffing the back port on my speakers and running room perfect to compare the results.
Everyone’s journey is different and how you approach it. I decided to build my system around the 2170. I didn’t want to have a lot of components or cables, so I was all in, 2170 or bust. Fast forward a year later I have a very natural, full, engaging system that can be listened to for hours and hours. No fatigue. I have a list of what I use in the Virtual System section of Audiogon. Good Luck
@yyzsantabarbara 

I bought into the 2170 buzz and truly love this unit. Did it blow me away the first time I installed it?...NO. It took a bit of time for things to settle.

When RP is disabled the amp doesn't sound anything "special". When a proper RP reading is made and it is enabled, its truly amazing to my ears with my equipment.

Now I know someone that sold his 2170 because he called it "Clinical". Too me its far from it.
When he told me what speakers he used. - Focal and Wilson with those bright Metal Tweeters, it didn't surprise me.

Just  like with any piece of equipment it takes time to get the synergy right. Sometimes it happens right away and sometimes it doesn't. Good Luck!
@cwho1228

If you want warmth, body, musicality and organic. Get the Cerious Technology Graphene Extremes cables. 30 day trial.

Another choice if you cannot get Cerious in your area, I would try Blackcat cables with one of the copper based offerings. Blackcat is all about music, not analytical.
@cwho1228 

From what I have read here from users ...yes. I have no experience though.
@jones4music
What was it about the 3400 that makes it sound "at best Midfi"? Did you determine that from playing strictly digital or analog? Anything to help potential buyers with a more construction answer. Thanks