Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 41 responses by robelvick

I had the Lyngdorf 2170 last year for a few months, and loved it for all/everything digital.

I ended up moving on though, because vinyl playback sounded too analytical.  I had the high-end analog module installed, and used the balanced inputs with my phono preamp.

This thread however, has brought back memories of how much I did enjoy the Lyngdorf.

Curious if anyone else had that same issue playing vinyl, or are you okay with the sound?

Repost - I was curious about subwoofer setup with the 2170.

I have a 2170 arriving tomorrow (going to give it a second chance), and will eventually be pairing it with some Atohm GT1 bookshelf speakers and either a REL or SVS subwoofer.

My question - does the Room Perfect setup set the crossover -high pass/low pass after you do the testing, or do you setup your crossover preference first, and then run Room Perfect?

I will re-read the manual, but would like to hear some suggestions/thoughts in the meantime..
@kdude66 

Thanks!  I did read in the manual that changing the output for the speakers/and or subwoofer will erase any previous RP measurements. 

Guess you have to do that first, then run RP.
Lyngdorf arrived today, and I’ve been listening for the past few hours. Quite frankly..I’m amazed. I’m convinced the first time I had one, my other components weren’t a good match, because right now everything sounds so so good.

I knew digital was going to be top notch, and it is, but vinyl playback now is much better than my memory had me believe. Not only is it much better, it’s fantastic! None of that warm vinyl sound is gone, detail/clarity has improved, and I forgot how dead-quiet this amp is..

Happy camper here.

I do have one question for all owners -- the firmware on my 2170 is not up to date. I have two thumb drives, with the most up-to-date firmware loaded, but the Lyng. is not reading either of them for some reason..

I’m turning off the 2170 on the back power switch next to the power cable, inserting the thumb drive, holding down the standby button and then turning back on the power switch. Nothing happening. Manual says the front panel should read "Updating" and that’s when you should release the standby button...

Maybe I’m not reading the instructions properly or I need a new thumb drive.

Yes, it is in the SW slot, and I tried inserting it before powering off.

Still no luck.  Re-reading the manual, it explains to load the software on to the Lyngdorf USB (provided) which I dont have.  My first Lyngdorf didn't come with a USB driver either...

Nick,

I will double check to make sure nothing else in on the USB stick. 

I believe I put the entire folder on the USB,  including the readme. doc.  

Is that the proper way??
Figured it out.  Uploading the entire folder was the problem.  I took out the readme.doc and it worked first try.
@kdude66 

Thank you for starting this post, and sorry for sort of steering it away from your topic, but it did get me to give the 2170 another chance, and I'm sure glad I did!

The past month has been a constant shuffle for me, trying out a few different amplifiers:  Electrocompaniet, LFD, Hegel, and PS Audio.  They were all excellent in their own way, but I topped out at about 90% of what I was trying to achieve. 

I feel like the Lyngdorf gives me about 95% and I can happily live with that for the foreseeable future.
Hey everyone,

I’m looking to add headphone amp with my Lyngdorf 2170. What are all of you using?

I have a Audioquest Dragonfly Black that I use with my phone, but looking for something to integrate with my whole system. Guessing it needs to be an amp/dac combo to take in coax out from the digital out of the 2170.

Best,
Robert

Kissov,

Thanks for sharing. Great solution for those without a streamer, or trying to find an alternative to using a computer/tablet directly.

I’m currently using an Auralic Aries mini w/ AQ Carbon USB, and it sounds fantastic.

@dspringham 

I'm sure the 2200 is a fine integrated, but the Room Perfect version it uses is quite old, considering the technological advances since 2008 (production year of 2200).

I doubt updates are available to bring the 2200 up to spec of the newer 2170, 3400 models.

Just my two cents... I have no experience with that actual model.

Corelli,

I'm using a CXC transport currently.  I use the coax digital out (wireworld starlight 7) and get wonderful results.

I've used the CXC with standalone DACs from PS Audio, Mytek, and Wyred4Sound.  The pairing with the Lyngdorf is by far my favorite for standard redboob playback.

I don't have much experience with other transports, only a budget NAD and a PS Audio Perfectwave transport.  The PS Audio, IMHO, was the best sounding, but I was using a HDMI cable using it's i2s output.  Never tried it with coax.

Hope that helps..

@mofojo 

Very exciting!  Looking forward to your thoughts once you've had time to setup/listen.
@mofojo 

I set the crossover first, then run room perfect.

Seems to be the best way.
I’ve tried 3 different speakers with 2170, all in the same room (4th pair testing tomorrow). I’ve been doing between 4-7 mic placements to get 100% room knowledge, and 9%-18% room correction.

I completely agree to set up your speakers to the best of your ability before running RP. Less the 2170 has to correct the better, IMHO.

I did try placing all speakers that i’ve used very close to the back wall, and noticed that’s when I get in the higher room correction %. So now I’ve been giving each speaker at least 2 feet of room from the rear wall, and a little more if they’re rear ported.

I don’t believe there’s an absolute correct way, but I do know that it’s awfully fun having different options/results.

Most importantly, don’t forget to enjoy the 2170 & the music!
@mofojo 

Right on!  Just wait another week or two, and it will sound even better.

Enjoy
Uberwaltz,

I send MQA through my Auralic Aries, but the signal is converted to 24/96 through the Lyngdorf. Sounds good stil.

I believe no matter what you send to the 2170, it ends up being 24/96, ie. 320kps MP3, DSD, FLAC, etc..same goes with all analog sources.

Once thee 24/96 conversion takes place, it then goes to the PWM and outputs at 32/384.  I read that on some review, but who knows how much truth there is to the exact specs.  I will try to find the link..

I do think the better quality you send, the better outcome.

Maybe someone else can chime in, and correct me if I’m mistaken
Uberwaltz,

Reading  back, I didn't directly answer your question.  Sorry.  Yes, I wouldn't worry about it, but you can always try both ways and see what sounds best.

I'm curious to hear your findings.

However, now just playing around with Roon's DSP engine.  When I convert a normal Tidal album (non-MQA) to DSD 128, it definitely produces a different sound.  Even though the 2170 converts to PWM before the final output regardless of format/rate.

I'm a beginner with all this tech stuff, so still hoping someone else will chime in
Uberwaltz,

I had the same results testing one of my CD players, using it’s analog out (built in DAC) and using it as a transport via coax.

Coax was clearly better.

I think one of the many advantages & basically whole point of t he 2170 is not having to use an external DAC. Unless of course you have a streamer or CD player that doesn’t have a digital out.

So I guess that kind of answers one of my questions from earlier - if everything is resampled by the 2170 (PWM) right before output - it still makes an audible difference what you feed it, in regards to source/quality.

That makes sense to me, but I’m not sure I understand why..

phew..
Kissov356,

For your setup use the Butterworth filter for both high pass/low pass.  Cutoff - is up to what sounds best to you.  I usually start at 80hz and work down from there, if needed.

Good luck.
@mofojo

I was using a Wyred4Sound Recovery (similar to the Remedy, but for USB) between my Auralic Aries Mini and the 2170. Slight increase in bass, and soundstage, but vocals became considerable more clear. Highly recommended.

I just recently replaced the Aries Mini with an Aries (dual Femto clock) and the sound was identical to the above combo. I haven’t tried adding the Recovery to this new setup yet, but I should add it to the chain and see if any further SQ is achieved.
Well, I made the decision to go for the 3400.  I switch speakers so often, I want to have the extra power just in case it's needed.  Plan on going through HiFiHeaven, unless someone knows a better US retailer.

I have listed my 2170 if anyone is interested, as well.
Maybe I'll just keep my 2170 now.. WAF is always a top priority in my household.
@mrppv

200 hours is the target, however in my experience, the 2170 really opened up at 80 hours, and just small improvements there on out.

Having a few different pairs of speakers, I’m always running RP (I don’t save the old measurements). I think re-running RP after burn-in is a good idea, and will have no negative effects.
I have also had communication problems with HiFi, but only as much as delays. Not a huge deal, but 2 days in response times can be very frustrating. Especially when you’re eager to purchase new gear.

I will say that their trade-in policy is awfully generous, of course I was trading in almost new equipment. Helped me purchase my first 2170, which I could not have come close to affording at that time.

I did end up selling my 2nd 2170, but made the decision to jump off the Lyngdorf wagon for the time being, and am not pursuing the 3400. Just too expensive for my budget.
@mofojo 

I originally wanted to try the 3400, but even after selling the 2170 I'm not even close to being able to afford one.

I could have sold off some speakers, but I decided to take the opportunity to try something I've had my eye on for a while... so I went with a Micromega M-100 instead.
@mofojo

I’ve had the M100 only a few days, but I was able to do some A/B testing with the Lyngdorf.

The M100 is a class A/B amp, with no digital conversion on it’s analog inputs, and a traditional DAC built in. Different beasts altogether.

The M100 does have a room correction software called M.A.R.S. but that’s on order from the manufacturer , so I can’t do any comparison with that and Room Perfect since my 2170 just sold.

I can tell you that I do not miss the 2170 whatsoever. In my room, with my speakers, I easily prefer the M100. More grip, more life, soul...whatever you want to call it. That’s just what I hear though. YMMV.

The three pairs I tested w/ both amps - Salk Sound: Songbirds, Tyler Acoustics: Linbrook, and Scansonic: MB-2.5. Maybe those three don’t pair as well with the Lyngdorf as they do with the Micromega.

Curious if anyone else has heard both amps? 
I've been using an Audioquest Carbon USB for the past 6 months or so.  The other two I've tried were a Panges SE and AQ Cinnamon.  I thought they sounded great, until I introduced the Carbon.

The Carbon has a smoother/sharper sound, and fuller bass.  I have no desire to change it.  Yet...
@soix 

If you read @grannyring thoughts above in multiple posts you'll see what he replaced the 2170 with, and how content he is..

Regarding vinyl playback.  I know Uberwaltz is very happy with the performance.  Me on the other hand, that was the one thing that I did not like about the 2170.  Don't get me wrong, it still sounds wonderful, especially running Room Perfect, but there's a certain warmth & edge that I was missing.  I did not use any tube gear previously, but class A/B amps sounded better in my opinion.

75% on my listening is vinyl, so I moved onto something different.  I will say that if digital is your main source, you will be extremely happy with the performance of the 2170.

Nicks25,

I briefly had a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and a Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC at the same time as the 2170 (I've owned the 2170 twice, ha), and did do some A/B testing.

Both the DACs above I thought did an excellent job, and sounded wonderful on their own.  I did not like them paired with the 2170 as much as when they were being used with different amps.  The digital inputs on the 2170 always sounded better, IMHO, by a large margin.

I think one of the biggest assets to the 2170, other than Room Perfect, is the way it implements digital processing. In my experience, it's counter-productive to have an outboard DAC and the 2170 at the same time.

I have not heard the Denafrips, and the Mojo I've only listened with headphones, so I can't say for sure how they'd integrate with the 2170, but my best guess would be leas favorable compared to the 2170's own digital processing.

Robert
Jcarcopo

Care to elaborate a bit why you're passing on the 3400?

I really liked the 2170, but ended up parting ways too.

Robert
Uber,

I use/used an SVS SB2000 when I had the 2170. Those are on sale now for $699 which is an absolute steal. I know that’s over your budget, but IMHO it’s easily worth double that. Sealed box, with the 2170 setup correctly, it will absolutely disappear in your space.

I’ve gone through many, many components over the past few years (as you know) but the SVS has always kept put.

Highly recommended.