Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli
Post removed 
Actually, Eric just came out with an update of his website and, yes, price increases.  These are minimal and in no way detract from the value of the DI's or any of his other speakers.  These still remain value saturated speakers.  

Don't feel you have to "settle" for the DI's.  I am sure the Moabs are wonderful but the fact is the DI's will always be a great speaker.  Had mine for over 4 years now and never once did I feel I was "missing out" on the latest and greatest.  These produce beautiful music.  Always have and always will.
Bstatmeister, yes he did increase, if I will buy Speaker now , I will get the DI, I will bet this are very dynamic speakers, because I do have the impact monitors, they are very dynamic.Corelli I thought you bought Encore?
No jayctoy, I am one of the more boring steady players, but in this case very happy that way!  You may be thinking of jcarcopo?  You will be happy with the dynamics of the DI's.  Many owners have commented on that being a strength.

I spoke to Eric the other week in an effort to chose one of his speakers for my secondary system.  One option was to get the Moabs and move my DI's into the secondary system (wife less thrilled with that).  I opted to keep the DI's in the main system and go with Electron SE's in the secondary.  I am sure they will be great.  Guess the point I was going to make was that Eric never tries to upsell you.  Just points out the virtues of each.  
Yes I forgot , I am referring to jrcarcopo, I was watching Erik video last night regarding, speakers room overloading, He said if the room has good acoustic it’s hard to overload the room. Corelli I have the impact monitors half of DI and the perfect set 12 half of MOAB. I find the DI more dynamic than the perfect set,but I do prefer the ps 12 on classical, the DI on jazz and small band. Both are good speakers if you match them right.They like tubes.
The Encore always intrigue me , because of Clements Perry’s reviews, I bet they are good.
I loved my Double Impacts, but I'm in love with my Encores. I still have no intention of upgrading anytime ever.  To me, the MTM array gives you more detail, no harshness, and better sound staging.  The bass is a huge upgrade over my DIs. They were made just for me and they are really terrific sounding. I know dozens of happy Encore owners, but I totally agree, the DIs are no slouch and also excellent sounding too.  You can't go wrong eitherway.  Encores to me represent the best proportioned speaker at an insane price value for the ~$4k of drivers, alone.  
I ended up pulling the trigger on these and I'm really glad I did. They're easily the best speakers I've ever heard, and I haven't even started to do measurements or dial things in yet. Granted, these are also the most expensive speakers I've owned, so I can't compare them to much higher end stuff.

Can anyone recommend a good value center channel to pair with these? I'm using them for HT duty as part of a 3.1 setup in addition to stereo, but I can't justify getting one of the wide centers for 3/4 of the price I paid for the DIs just to handle dialogue.

I'm using a JBL Studio 130 right now, and it makes everything sound a bit muddy probably due to how dynamic the Di's are and also the difference in a 88db vs 98db sensitivity. I'm wondering if one of the klipsch RP line might work as they come in at 97db.

The Double Impact center in only $1130.  It would be a perfect match.  Not sure why you would consider anything else.
With tax it's closer to $1250 which for me just seems like a lot of scratch just to handle dialogue. It's especially true since I'm only into the DIs for $2k. I'm also super skeptical it could make as much of a difference as the full towers.
@bullbuchananWhile I do not have experience with setting up a HT system, I understand the importance of of a seamless voicing of the speakers.  Every Klipsch I have heard is voiced very differently than the DI's.  I find the DI very neutral and smooth.  Klipsch sound harsh and fatiguing to my ears.  

Did you see the DI low profile center?  Has the same drivers as the DI's, just a single tweeter.  Only $450!  
For HT get the best center (and Sub) you can afford. Most of the sound will be coming through the center. The rest of the speakers are used for mainly ambient effects. I've heard emotivas best center is really good, if DI center is too much.
Too funny. I tried for the better part of 2 years to get good sound from HT. Actually it was probably more like 4. Whatever it was, I gave it the college try. Brought a slew of processors home, full range surrounds, everything. Nothing sounds good once you run it through HT. Nothing. By far the best center channel is two good stereo speakers running stereo. By far. When I say, "by far" I worry someone may think this means by audiophile standards. No. It means so obvious your wife who thinks everything else is imaginary, over the top and nuts says, "No way!" and "How can it suck so bad?" when she hears HT.

The world is currently in the grips of several even greater mass delusions, but the superiority of multichannel and in particular the need for a center channel is always out there ready to take it’s rightful place at the top of the heap the minute we come to our senses on the other two.

I ended up yanking my center speaker and just use the phantom image of my DIs. Nothing I used sounded good, so I gave up. After a couple years of doing that, I don’t miss the center channel for movies, but I do miss it slightly for 5.1 music as I just use quad at the moment with KEF LS50s as rears. If I were to ever invest in my HT/5.1 setup again, I would get a Tekton center channel to match the DIs. But that would take a new room, so it likely will never happen...and I am totally at peace with that.
I just rolled through some demos using a phantom image with the DI’s. While it did offer better integration, and the muddiness was gone, there are some drawbacks. I felt like now the dialogue sat a lot deeper in the mix instead of being more out in front and the soundstage was also quite reduced with the left and right now responsible for imaging across the whole width instead the edges. I guess I mean to say it sounded more natural, but also less dynamic and more confined.

Of course, this was limited viewing of some scenes from John Wick 3 and a full episode of the Mandalorian, so I’ll give myself some time to adjust and see what happens. I ran with a phantom center a couple years ago, but eventually went back to the dedicated channel.
Hi, I have a pair of Double Impacts from late 2016 and one of the woofer driver cones is starting to separate from the surround. I would imbed a picture in this comment, but I'm not sure how? I emailed Tekton a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard back from them. Should I attempt to glue the surround to the cone where the separation is occurring or do I need to replace the driver? I think this is a 10" Eminence driver, but not sure of the model. Any suggestions would be a huge help!!! 
Assuming that the surround has just separated from the driver cone, and not ripped the cone off with it, it is a 10 second job to re-glue it on.

I highly recommend this speaker glue: Speaker Repair Adhesive, Foam Kits, Recone Kits, Speaker Grill Cloth, MI-3035 (simplyspeakers.com)
Great! Thanks for the recommendation! It has only become unglued for a couple of inches and there is no tear in the cone. I was hoping that the proper glue would fix it. I will order the adhesive you recommended. The speakers are currently in a PODS container awaiting delivery to our future home, so I won't be able to try this for a few months. I'll report back at that time on how it went!
Hi lpretiring,

Do you know the specific drivers that Eric uses? It would be great to have a list for off the shelf replacements. Thanks!
I know Eric would use different tweeters and crossover components. One reason he stated was based on availability. I'm unclear on the history of the woofers. 
Perhaps someone else can chime in on early woofers in the D.I's.
Thanks, since the 5 year warranty will expire on mine in late November, I'm trying to be proactive in case of component failure.
Hi Tekton lovers,
I wanted to ask you for an advice.
I'm trying to build an hifi system around a pair of Double Impacts.
Going to order Don Sach's preamp and need your opinion on power amp: I'm between Audio Van Alstine Vision Set 400 and Pass Labs XA25.
I'd really want to buy a Pass' gear, since years. But can any of you mention if that would a good idea? The Impacts have good sensitivity, but they're massive and Eric mentioned they like power. The XA25 reaches 50W at 4ohm and can go to 200W A/B class into 2ohm. Do you think it's a good match? Any of you uses the Pass Labs XA25 with the DI's?
@adversam I used my Pass XA 30.8 amp to power both the DIs and the DI-SEs. It was a good match and pairing. 

The XA 25 is an excellent choice.

The Van Alstine may also be a good choice, but I do not have direct experience with it.

All the best with your decisions and final choice.
Hi Tekton lovers,
I wanted to ask you for an advice.
I’m trying to build an hifi system around a pair of Double Impacts.
Going to order Don Sach’s preamp and need your opinion on power amp: I’m between Audio Van Alstine Vision Set 400 and Pass Labs XA25.
I’d really want to buy a Pass’ gear, since years. But can any of you mention if that would a good idea? The Impacts have good sensitivity, but they’re massive and Eric mentioned they like power. The XA25 reaches 50W at 4ohm and can go to 200W A/B class into 2ohm. Do you think it’s a good match? Any of you uses the Pass Labs XA25 with the DI’s?
A Raven Blackhawk will probably sound better for a lot less money than separates. I’m using a 50WPC tube integrated with my Tekton Moabs and that is way more power than needed even at very high SPL in my 17x24x9 room. No way I would ever go looking for more power. More sound quality, sure. If more sound quality happens to come with more power, fine. But I would never go looking for power for power’s sake.

The next amp I want is the 50WPC Raven Reflection. But they are so long to make I will probably be getting a Blackhawk first. 20WPC. Am I worried about having "only" 20WPC? Not in the least. Does Eric say Moabs like power? He does. Pretty sure he says that about all of them. The Perfect SET is made for single digit watt amps, I bet he says that one likes more power too. Some things you learn to take with a grain of salt.

Make sure that those providing power advice for the speakers are using just the speakers and not speakers + powered subs which is a totally different story in regards to power needed just for the mains.

20 watts is very marginal power to drive most any speaker unless they are very easy load and truly high efficiency, which Tektons are not. It will work of course but results will be far from optimal and you could spend a lot of time and money tweaking to try and compensate.

The devil is always in the details.

Post removed 

Do you have a Pass brick and mortar within your vicinity? If so, I would try to negotiate an in home trial. If impossible to try out the Pass, Van Alstine offers for cost of shipping in home evaluations for a couple of weeks. 
Maybe it will be what your listening for and you'll have some extra cash left over as well.

Thanks all for your replies, yes I should have clarified that I'm not planning to use any subwoofer. The Pass Labs XA25 is intriguing me apart from raving reviews and reliability of gears, because seems to have a huge reserve of power, it's a 25W at 8ohm, but damping factor is 500. Huge current, plus at least 100W A/B class that can be delivered at 4ohm (after the first A class 50W), if necessary. For sure the DI's are not as easy as many horn speakers, but I was wondering whether the XA25 is really enough for them. Did any Tekton owner of this thread tried this match? No subs of course. Also wanted to ask for other tube integrated recommendatons apart from LTA and Line Magnetic product. The Raven is a very good one, maybe somebody has also a feedback on it? Thanks!
@david_ten thanks for your feedback... did you use subwoofers or just the XA30.8? Level of listening in your room?
@adversam I did not use subwoofers. So just the XA 30.8 powering the DIs and the DI-SEs.

I also powered the DI-SEs with my 2A3 monoblocks and preferred them over my solid state amps, including the 30.8 and the T+A PA 3100 HV. However, more power and especially high current amplification like the T+A has it’s advantages and upsides.

Average SPLs at the listening position were typically in the high 70s / low 80s dB range, music dependant; with swings into the low to mid 90 dB range.

My room is on the large side [19 by 26] and the Tetktons were pulled out into the room.

@david_ten Thanks again for sharing all your experience. May I bother you with the very last question? Which preamp was together with the XA 30.8?
@mgb1985  The driver in the DI is the Eminenece Alpha.  But really it just needs the proper adhesive.  Looks like the adhesive jetter suggested would be just fine.  
@adversman  As you have probably read the DI's allow the flexibility to go in many directions when it comes to your choice of amps.  They will show the virtues and limitations of each.  Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a stable of amps.  After all, you wouldn't pair up the same wine with every meal.  And so it is with music.

But in reality, we have all found amps that we love with the DI's. You will just need to sort our your priorities and do your homework on the qualities that you value most.
I just bought the DI SEs, only been a few hours listening, first thought I’ve noticed is how incredibly revealing of the equipment behind them they are. I had Martin Logan SL3s before and it seems in comparison...so long as my MLs had plenty dynamic power, they generally sounded the same no matter what equipment was behind them. How I found out the DIs are revealing besides articles saying it, was when I started switching out my equipment. First, I took out my emotiva xmc1 processor and used my Cambridge 851n, the sound improved, better sound stage, better detail. Then I swapped the Cambridge for my long boxed B&K Ref 30, again, even better detail and stage but introduced a good bit of noise. Now I’m ready to finally upgrade my amp and preamp. Been thinking of going with Bryston, their new BR20 preamp (just love the idea of streamer and analog/digital preamp in one package) and their 4b3 amp. All that said I wanted to see what people with more DI experience found to be great matches. 
I looked through at least 60-70 percent of this 112 page DI thread. Felt like somewhere I’d find an answer to what amp preamp these DI speakers need. What I found was that the DI’s benefit having tubes either in the preamp or amp stage. 
Is that now considered set in stone, they need so much warmth to sound their best that tubes must enter the picture???

thanks -marc

I'm in love with my Vincent SV237MK and DIs! Best of both worlds, tubes and SS.
Tubes need not always be associated with “warmth”. A good modern tube amp is very neutral and sounds more natural in tone and timbre than a SS amp. Especially when comparing a good tube amp/preamp to something with the name Bryston on it.

Oz
@morg111 Marc, it comes down to your reference(s) of sound quality and how your system comes together to achieve that.

I looked through at least 60-70 percent of this 112 page DI thread. Felt like somewhere I’d find an answer to what amp preamp these DI speakers need. What I found was that the DI’s benefit having tubes either in the preamp or amp stage.
Is that now considered set in stone, they need so much warmth to sound their best that tubes must enter the picture???

I recommend following quality, whether tube or solid state amplification.

+1 to @ozzy62 ’s post addressing the "warmth" issue you brought up:

Tubes need not always be associated with “warmth”.

Looking forward to learning what you choose. All the best in your search and choice.
@Oz-im interested to hear more about your potential Bryston critique??

I don’t know anything about their BR20 as it is brand new and there is very little out there reviewing it. But their 4b3 amp is highly acclaimed, even said to be a bit warmer, which I thought could be a great as the DIs seem to need some warming and/or richer middle. 
Alas, what I’m hearing from you first couple responders isn’t supporting any particular direction.
@morg111    I have always felt that the DI's, to my ear, were fundamentally neutral.  You are right, this speaker is so capable in allowing you to hear what is ahead of it.  As noted above, I do not feel that it is an issue of tubes vs. solid state.  I have just the right blend of detail and a hint of warmth with my Marantz Ruby gear.  There is no right or wrong here.  Trust your ears.  The cool thing is you are afforded so many choices with this speaker.  Take your time--you will know when you have arrived at your destination.
Im really bored at the great positivity from those that own the brands they favor.   "mine's the best man"
There's some utility in that statement. I've found this phenomenon, even in the political.

If it makes you feel good or powerful, OR others made to seem weak, dangerous or pathetic, you will stick with it.
what if you determine it hurts others - the feel good for you is a feel bad for someone else. Do you ever try to determine this? Have far do you let that go? For some, this is a simple contest of ignorance.

Seriously - people focus on their limited sphere of success and pump it up like a 50-mile high bounce house while ignoring the people they crush or celebrating as if victorious over them.

I've listened to quite a number of speakers over the decades and I mostly choose entirely new products and product lines, brands, etc.

We are not trying to control each other's buying behavior.

I'm clearly now on Team Moab. Super percussive speaker, but not bloaty. Rarified midrange and layers.  

Sometimes you get something that is truly breathtaking, and why not "give it away"?
@corelli, thank you for offering that info, glad to know all the earlier talk of tubes was just the direction of convo rather than necessary for some type of influence the speakers needed.

We are not trying to control each other's buying behavior.

I'm clearly now on Team Moab. Super percussive speaker, but not bloaty. Rarified midrange and layers.  

Sometimes you get something that is truly breathtaking, and why not "give it away"?

Right. I live for the comments from people who are genuinely enthusiastic and excited. Only thing better is when they are emotionally captivated. Who wants the component that makes people go, "Meh"?

perhaps i missed it but what is the difference between the regular and SE versions?