Best preamp under 1500$ freya+ , cary slp03 ?

Hi, I'm looking for a tube pre with balanced connection.

I read good and bad comments about freya+

Cary slp03 can be better ? 

matias1979

What preamp do you have now and what improvements and sound characteristics are you looking for? This should really be your first concern over connection type IMHO. Plus, you’ll have a hard time finding a fully-balanced preamp in this price range — pretty sure the Freya is not but not sure about the Cary — and if it’s not fully balanced you might as well just use RCA connections because it’s basically the same thing and you’ll have many more preamps to choose from, especially in this price range. Just my $0.02 FWIW.

I had the original Freya for several years. For the price I don't think it can be beat to get some tube sound. 

@soix 

The literature says the Freya+ is balanced, I am surprised. The Schiit I have purchased has been good for the money. But it is highly likely the Cary will be a better sounding preamp. I have heard various Cary equipment during the years. 

The Schiit Freya+ is balanced and is AES48 compliant.

Wow, that’s amazing and I stand corrected. Manufactured in the US and fully balanced from input to output at that price point? What?!? Truly amazing.

It is pretty amazing especially for the money.  But like everything else in our hobby you normally get what you pay for and $1,000 is just not enough for a really good preamp, tube or SS, balanced or not.

Buy an cold Counterpoint preamp and upgrade it.  It then becomes a reference preamp.

Happy Listening.

The Freya+ is tough to beat. It’s very versatile, has a great volume control and has great resale value. Will something @ $1500 be “better” than the Schiit? Maybe. More versatile, doubtful. Better resale, doubtful. Better volume control, doubtful. Yet who knows. Wait 10 minutes and technology changes…

I'm an "original version" Freya owner (using NOS GE tubes) and it holds up against pretty much anything out there easily earning it a "class A" rating. The only issue seems to be the fact that the thing is just too inexpensive for some and hey, that's just fine.

I too think the Freya+ is hard to beat for the money. I keep thinking about upgrading and then I listen to my system and say what for.

I had two of the Freya+, both bad from the factory.

They run very hot.  Volume control and remote were nice.

The sound was fine in the two SS modes, but trying to use the tubes was impossible.  I would call the sound neutral.

FWIW - Schiit was very responsive and replaced the first unit and refunded on the second.

Try to save more $ and look for a used Rogue Audio RP-5.  A huge difference from the others being mentioned.  

thank you  all.

At times I am about to throw the cane with the freya+ and at times I read many problems with the freya. My doubts is that I live far away in South America and I cannot send to the factory if it comes with problems.

I too am looking for somethin like the OP. Hard to find an ideal product under 1500-2000$

The basic Linear Tube Audio Micro Zotl Mark II is $1295 . I am using one and would not want more, Read reviews compare. Try to hear one, can't be beat at this price.

I had the Freya+ and sold it. This new Schitt preamp is rather good on my 2-channel, and sounds better to me than the Freya+.

Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California

You should be able to find a Doge 8 preamp within your price range, depending on the tube set it comes with..

I had one before I replaced it with a Don Sachs preamp.

The Doge 8 is *very* sensitive to tube selection (4 X 12AX7, 4 X 12AT7). I really liked the sound that Siemens ECC801S and Mazda 12AT7 tubes gave me.

The Doge 8 also has a very decent phono section (both MM and MC). If you don’t spin vinyl, then you can put any cheap 12AX7 tube in.