Acoustic Suspension sound in 2020?

I really like the sound of the 1960's-1970's acoustic suspension speakers owning a pair of AR-11's.

For a second installation, two questions for you folks who know far more than I--
- First, what if any new speakers have a similar sound?
- Second, any thoughts on KLH 5 and 6 vs. Large Advents vs. AR-3/11 and/or others?

Budget--I'll figure out later...if ideas are expensive, why not have a lust list to go with the purchase short list???!!!

Thanks very much!

Andy
Ag insider logo xs@2xaainpb
Check out Human Speakers. He's a former Winslow Burhoe employee. He sells everything needed to refurb EPI/Epicure and Genesis speakers. He also manufactures new acoustic suspension speakers. No affiliation. I've always heard very good things about Huw Powell. 
Maybe listen to Audio Note?? Not sure if they are acoustic suspension, but they have that vibe.
Agreed - Human and AudioNote for modern speakers. Human may have more the vintage sound.
Also Seas A26 kit from Madisound. Modern version of classic Dynaco A25 of the '70s, though not a sealed cabinet.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/seas-a26-10-2-way-kit-pair-based-on-the-cla...
Some AN models are ported, some are sealed.

IME, there is really no substitute for the acoustic suspension sound in a vented box. Some bass-reflex and transmission-line speakers can play as deep but lack the speed and texture. Open baffles excel at texture but can’t dig very deep. The advantage of bass-reflex is reasonable efficiency with decent extension. AS designs tend to be power hogs but excel in bass quality.

Old models like the Large Advents can match and even surpass some modern designs in many regards. Unfortunately, I find they sound great until they suddenly don’t. They suck up gobs of power and there’s a very sharp transition from clean sound to ugly distortion. Playing them at loud levels can heat up the motors quickly and lower the threshold further. This is why I don’t use my NLAs above moderate SPLs, however, played within their limits they can teach modern designs a thing or two.

The Gershman Acoustics AS designs are intriguing, though I’m suspicious of their claimed sensitivity:
http://www.gershmanacoustics.com/gershman_speaker_modles.html

Most ATCs are acoustic suspension.

In the budget realm there's NHT.
Vandersteen, which were modelled in part after the acoustic suspension sound. 2ce Signatures and model 1c are acoustic suspension designs, maybe other too.
Vandersteens are not acoustic suspension speakers. New acoustic suspension speakers are few and far between.  Magico and ATC make acoustic suspension speakers.It’s too bad there are not many more than that!
If you like the East Coast Sound of acoustic suspension speakers of the 60s and 70s, I would suggest you look for a good condition vintage pair of the AR, KLH, or Advent speakers that you mentioned. I am not aware of any modern speakers that replicate the sound of these speakers. If you want information regarding specific AR or KLH speakers, I would suggest posting on Audiokarma. There are many East Coast Sound speaker enthusiasts on that site.
Acoustic suspension is still the finest in overall bass quality and lowest distortion. Caveat: If properly done.

The end.
@yogiboy Vandersteen 2s and 1s are sealed-box enclosures, no? If no ports, therefore acoustic suspension, unless I misunderstand the definition. There is also an interview with RV in which he cites his inspiration from the sound of the acoustic-suspension designs of Acoustic Research, etc., -- the "New England sound" I think he called it -- when he designed the Model 2.  
Spendor and NHT bookshelf/mini monitor speakers generally acoustic suspension.

I have several challenging installations (inside cabinet, on table, near rear wall or side wall, etc.) where sealed enclosures have advantages, so between the two brands I have five pairs of modern acoustic suspension speakers, all bookshelf/mini monitor.

Two of the five pairs are used exclusively for music (the Spendors, in secondary and third systems) and the other three across two H/T setups. The msrp’s of the five range from a couple hundred per pair for the low end NHT’s up to $2k or $3k per pair for the Spendors, and the Spendors are discontinued so either find used or old stock at this point. Of the NHT’s, the C1’s and Superone2.1 are current models.  Spendor has current models (A1, Classic 3/5 (or something similar, forget exact name, possibly others as well) that are acoustic suspension though.

Consequently, I also have a lot of subwoofers, because non-ported speakers give up some bass, haha...

Spendor D1, SA1.
NHT C1, Absolute Zero, Superone 2.1.

I’m not familiar with any of the speakers OP mentioned, so no idea whether any of mine sound like his/hers.

What I’d say generally is that I prefer well-done speakers with ports for fuller sound (despite my large A/S ownership share), but with challenging installations and/or small rooms, acoustic suspension can be a good choice, especially when paired with a good sub.
One of the finest speakers I heard during the 70's was the AR-LST.  There is no reason why they would not sound just as good today providing they have been properly restored.  You'll see them occasionally on Ebay, but they're not cheap!
I have Vandersteen 3A Sigs, and the bass enclosure is sealed, but I'm not sure to what extent the "active acoustic coupler" results in a different transfer function--I think it shares the same enclosure as the 8" woofer, but I'm not 100% certain.  

I think Yogiboy was making a (rather funny) joke, referring to the cutaway photo illustrating the guts.

Dear @aainpb : Not from the 70's but I own and am the original owner of a marvelous ADS L2030 ( heavy tweaked by me, you can read here:  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/3080 ).

Those are acoustic suspension  and exist other two models: the L1230 and the L1530. This one along the 2030 were used as speaker monitors by Telarc recordings.

Even today my speakers are a true challenge for almost any speaker. Those ( especially. ) main silk made midrange and tweeter drivers are just extraordinary by any today standards.

https://gear.discogs.com/gear/68646-ads-l2030

this is a restored pair not tweaked ones:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-l2030-restoration.801968/

http://sportsbil.com/ads/l-2030-brochure.pdf

Why today exist only a few acoustic suspension speakers design? I really don't know.

Btw, M.Kelly was the ADS L2030 designer whom years latter founded Aerial Acoustic speakers and his today designs are not acoustic suspension but ported one:  ? ¡ ? ¡ ?

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Vandersteen 2s and 1s are sealed-box enclosures, no? If no ports, therefore acoustic suspension, unless I misunderstand the definition. There is also an interview with RV in which he cites his inspiration from the sound of the acoustic-suspension designs of Acoustic Research, etc., -- the "New England sound" I think he called it -- when he designed the Model 2.
The 1 has a transmission line vent and the Model 2 has what essentially functions as a passive radiator, and passive radiators act similarly to ports. Both speakers lack temporal snap in the bass which is the hallmark of a good AS design. 
Helomech, the acoustic coupler in the 2 and 3 is an active driver. Wondering if you know any technical details re how it essentially functions as a PR.

Would never, ever think that the bass in the 3 lacks snap, but of course that’s subjective and perhaps amp related.
Helomech, the acoustic coupler in the 2 and 3 is an active driver. Wondering if you know any technical details re how it essentially functions as a PR.

Would never, ever think that the bass in the 3 lacks snap, but of course that’s subjective and perhaps amp related
Look at the measurements of the 2Ce Sigs in Stereophile, it does indeed behave more like a PR.  

The whole series is somewhat lacking dynamics and bass texture. Not amp related as I've used the same amps on many other speakers of similar load difficulty. They dig plenty deep in the bass, with plenty of output, but it's not the tightly-controlled bass of true AS. 
Thanks. The impedance charts i suppose imply a hybrid. Not 100%  clear but I appreciate the info. 
Magicos...just read an interview with Alon Wolf where he explains why he likes sealed speakers...like my Heresy IIIs (although he didn't mention those).
I love my Infinity RS1.5s. Sealed enclosure with the famous Watkins Woofer. They are now about 40 years old, and still going strong....

Thanks for this thread guys. What about using AR3a's other vintage acoustic suspension speakers in a 5.1 system with Rythmik sealed and/or GR Research (Danny Richie) open baffle subs? But if yes, what to do for a CC speaker?

There are a couple of sealed bass omnis, the Avantage audio César from France, though maybe not available that widely, has a 10” sealer bass driver firing down at a deflector cone and a pair of smaller, opposed, wide range drivers run unfiltered firing at back to back cones further up, all in sealed enclosures, though said enclosures don’t seem particularly inert to the touch. I’ve heard a pair and there was a lot to like.

The other is German Physiks with their Ohme Walsh, if that’s how it’s spelt, derived cones mated with sealed bass units, except for the unicorn which is a horn rear loaded single driver.

I think the Fern and Roby Raven two full ranger is sealed.

Manger from Germany make some sealed floor standers.

Magico.

Audionote UK K series but they’re not that big.

teo_audio wrote, "Acoustic suspension is still the finest in overall bass quality and lowest distortion. Caveat: If properly done."

teo, I think if you ever heard good horn loaded bass you might change that opinion.

secretguy

1,181 posts

Horns are for Elk.

Once again, this guy lets us in on how clueless he really is…