Which speakers should I get. $500-$1000

Some of you may scoff but I would like to find the best used speakers in the $500-$1000 range. I listen mostly to Jazz and Classical and I would like as full and pure of a range of sounds as possible. Thank you much for your suggestions. (PS: I live in the US)
karottos
See http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-revel-concerta-f12-black-ash-minor-cabinet-blems-2012-08-26-speakers-10536-katonah-ny
Need to know the amp you are using that synergy is the most important part
By full range sound I assume you want floor standers, or sat/sub combo?? Please provide system details.
the PSB 6t is in your price range, and an excellent performer. Also, Absolute Sound review claims that they were extraordinary at conveying the sound of a full orchestra, unlike many other speakers.
Monitor speaker such as Totem Model 1 is great as full range for small rooms and does not require large power amp.
I scoff at those who scoff whoever they are. We really do need a little more information.
If you can buy Von Schweickerts VR2s then buy them. I don't see them on the used market but they were very good nuetral sounding speakers in my set up. I drove them with a small (40 WPC) tube amp and that was plenty, you may find them in your price range! Some of the old mid fi companies like Sony and Pioneeer are getting good press lately, but I haven't heard them myself. I did find the Pareadigms to be more than OK and was seriously considering their larger model but that was some time back.
For jazz and classical and on a budget, I'd look at used Maggies, but only recent models unless you're willing to rebuild them (easily done with the kit if you have the time). They offer a level of realism that other speakers in that price range don't.

The 1.6 QR might be a good choice, if you get one made within the last 10 years or so, after they switched to improved adhesives that don't degrade with time. They seem to go for about $1000.

Acoustats would be another strong possibility. They've held up amazingly well over the years.
For jazz and classical, I suggest a pair of Vandersteen 2CE signature. They are smooth sounding, easy to drive and pretty full range. But at the end, audio is 100% subjective hobby and it is best if you can test them yourself to see if they meet your taste.
I am pretty darn happy with my Sound Dynamic 300ti - 17 year old three way speakers that are nearly full range (down to roughly 38hz) and easy to drive (NAD C326BEE sounds terrific) paid $400.00 plus they rock pretty good.

these little guys hold their own
Nothing to scoff about. Your budget allows for a wide variety of good speakers, both new and used. But first, there is no such thing as the "best" speaker at any given price point, new or used. There is only the "best" speaker for you and this will take a bit of time and exploration on your part.

Yes, the amp you are using will be important because speakers vary in sensitivity (efficiency). Also, some info about the size of room and furnishings will be helpful. How loud do you want to listen? Are yoyu looking to replicate concert levels? Do you like to sit at the front tabel of a smaller venue like a jazz club?Right now, all we know is your taste in music and that you want full range speakers. So I assume you won;t be using a sub-woofer.

Most important though, I suggets not aking for a recommendation by brand or model but rather by type of speaker. So I would first encourage you to listen to a variety of models if you have access to HI Fi stores near you. Bring your own music, pieces that you are very, very familar with and start listening for differences in the high frequency drivers in each model you audition. For example, horn tweeters sound very different than domes. And metal domes sound very different than soft textile domes. Which is best? They all are - that is up to you to decide which you have a preference for. We cannot tell you this. In my case, I prefer soft dome tweeters which is why all the speakers I currently own have this type. You need to find out what you prefer so that when someone recommends a Klipsch Reference or Paladium speaker (both have compressiion horns) and you already know you find this type of driver fatiguing, you can dismiss the recommendation. Or vise versa - you may love the sound of this type of driver. See what I am getting at?

Good luck and have fun in your journey to find the "best" speaker for you.
Philjolet, I also really like my Sound Dynamics 300ti. I paid a little less than you at about the same time you bought yours. Another High End store going out of business. I haven't listened to them in a while but I'm going to roll them back in my second system with my Primaluna Dialogue One.

For the OP, depending on your system, a Tekton Lore or M-Lore might serve you well. See Audiogon threads regarding this speaker. I'm extremely happy with my Lores.
If you can stretch for these, I highly recommend them, as I just picked a set of them myself, and am very impressed:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-dynaudio-audience-82-full-range-speakers-2012-09-18-speakers-77573
Don't know what amp you have, but Totem Arros are for sale right now on Agon for $800. A great speaker for it's price; full range with wide, deep imaging. Also look at the Totem Dreamcatcher bookshelf. Same great Totem sound, but you would need a sub.

*(I am not associated with these speakers for sale)
Mirage M5si's. These are GREAT on jazz and classical. They have a fast,
transparent midrange and bass extension down into the mid-20's. They fire both
forward and rearward, energizing the room similar to the dispersion pattern of
live singers and musicians. You can consistently find these in like new condition
for around $700. They were $2K new in the mid-'90s. I bought my pair in 1996
and still listen to them daily.

They scale up and down according to ensemble size very well. Tonal balance is
realistic. Easy to lose yourself in the music. And with good amplification and
cabling, they will maintain soundstage and clarity with big band and large scale
orchestral music. Small group jazz is effortless and natural sounding. Plucked
string bass is particularly realistic sounding.
Monitor Audio RS6 is a very well reviewed speaker that usually sells for around $600 used here on the Gon.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Another vote for the Vienna Acoustic Bach Grand. A Primare I31 would be a cost effective amp match.
I listen to Classical and jazz almost exclusivly, PSB is the best bet be by far, they never made a speaker that made classical sound bad,with any amp, in any room .
As an audiople of over 40 yrs I've owned about every other speaker mentioned, only one that comes close is Vienna.
Some , like ZU and Thiel will make you run from room with a string quartet.
Maggies CAN sound good but ALL factors must be met which is a major hassle and expense.
Also, forget those Monitor rs6 mentioned,WAY too hot on top for strings, though a good rock speaker.
Also, you need to remember that, when it comes to reviews, although a classical recording might be mentioned, VERY few reviewers have any any real interst in classical music, I dare say most have never hears a live symphony performed.
Schubert, I beg to differ. I listen to quite a bit of string quartet through my truly full range Thiel 3.5's. System harmony, especially with re: to amplification is key.
To each his own, I suppose if you are rich enough you can make a silk purse from a sows ear.
PSB *is* an excellent speaker with an honest tonal balance that works well with acoustic music such as classical and jazz. So is the new Monitor Audio Silver RX series, which has a smoother treble than the older RS.

A third option, with a Canadian tonal balance similar to the PSB, is the Mirage OMD15. It's $800/pair in gloss black or $1K/pair in rosewood. The speaker was originally $2500/pair but are being sold direct now from Vanns.com for much less, but with return privileges and the full factory warranty. I've had a pair of these anchor my 2-channel system for over 4 years now, and I listen to *a lot* of classical and jazz. The OMD-15s always sound smooth, natural, capable of excellent detail, and have a dispersion pattern that energizes the room very much like acoustic instruments.

At $800, highly recommended, and unlike most used purchases, your decision is protected by a return period and 5-year factory warranty.
Shubert, To each his own indeed, if your smart enough you can maximize the potential of an inherently neutral superb value without spending riches in the process.
09-26-12: Unsound
Shubert, To each his own indeed, *if you're smart enough* you can maximize the potential of an inherently neutral superb value without spending riches in the process.

I don't think the OP is looking for something with a long learning curve. Thiels are great, but are pretty demanding on system matching. PSB, Monitor Audio (esp. the new RX series over the RS), and Mirage have a natural tonal balance while digging out a lot of ambience and detail. You can match any of them with a Marantz PM8004 integrated amp and get *really* excellent sound without a lot of tweaking, fiddling, and component swapping.
Johnnyb53, it's not rocket science, with the advice available here it needn't be a long learning curve, and the efforts are IMHO certainly worth it, but your point is not without merit.
Mikirob

sorry for the delayed response

I have owned Maggie 1.6, JM Reynaud Trentes, and Audio Note Kit 3 speakers and the 300ti's hold their own. Of course they were all different systems and the system I run the 300ti with is quite cheap compared to some good stuff I ran the other speakers with, the full range overall satisfying sound is hard to deny. They have 'it', an undefinable quality that satisfies and pleases while at the same time doing typical hi fi things right (detail, dynamic range etc)

of course good luck finding another mint pair like I did

btw I bought mine about 3 years ago...

enjoy

also sorry OP and good luck
Speaking to the Sound Dynamics 300 ti's, the ti signifies the titanium dome tweeter. SD was a division of API, Audio Products International, which also produced Mirage, Energy, and Athena. Mirage also uses a cloth-damped titanium dome tweeter and has that same relaxed yet detailed treble.

I recommended the 300 ti to several audio newbies back when SD was still in production, and everybody who got them was ecstatic at their performance vs. the price. But that was back in 1996-98. Still a great speaker if you can find it, but if you can't the currently available Mirages will definitely do the job while having broader dispersion and lower box resonance owing to the curvilnear enclosures.
Try opening your mind to a bit of a different approach . Scour thrift stores and pawn shops . My second system is using a pair of cheap Kenwood speakers from the 80's to a very nice effect ! I occasionly see cheap particle board boxes that contain some rather decent drivers inside for very little money . Often these speakers can be had for $10 - $30 . Just make sure that they are intact . Also ask to hook them up to one of there receivers or what ever they have on hand just to make sure that they function correctly . There really is no substitute for big woofers . And two 6" drivers won't fill a space or punch you in the chest like one 10" driver .
These things usually are sold the same day that they hit the sales floor , so be dilligent .
Just a thought .

Happy Tunes .
Give these speakers a test and let me know what you think.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

Cheers!