Speaker recommendations wanted for Quicksilver M135 amplifiers

Hello All!

I just acquired a pair of Quicksilver M135 amplifiers and line preamplifier. I wasn’t in the market, but they came to me in a trade. I am wanting everyone’s recommendations on speakers new/used under $5000. Room is 16x22, however I listen from about 7 feet away. Music preference is jazz and some light classic rock.

My current system consist of a McIntosh 240, Fisher CX-2, and Triangle Comete 40th anniversary speakers. 
‘Thank you in Advance,

Rob

thermionicemission

@thermionicemission Rob, your current TC Anniversary shows 8ohm nominal impedance and 90db, how about trying those first?  You mentioned listening 7' away, might be worth a first try, see how it goes, 'eh?

I am quite envious--those are great amplifiers. I heard them years ago at Audio Connection in Verona, NJ. Reach out to them for advice. My guess is almost anything. My first try would be used Magnepan 3.7i. My second try would be the best used Vandersteen that I could find.

If you want to keep with something like your Triangle monitors, I recommend you take a look at the Revival Audio Atalante 3 monitors. They also have a new line out (just recently) so maybe the Sprint 4 as well. They're a relatively new company founded in 2021 and like your Triangle speakers, they are designed and built in France. I have the Atalante 3 monitors and am hopelessly in love with them.

All the best,
Nonoise

I heard Sonus Fabers yesterday, several models in different lines. They were all paired with McIntosh and from what I understand McIntosh is now parent company. They all sounded very good and there are models in your price range.

Great amps great output transformers

proacs work really well

Vandersteen bass room tunable

powered series with self contained

bass amps are really special.

it’s rare these amps come up.

you are now capable to assemble a system

that most couldn’t shine this one’s shoes

best JohnnyR 

Although you haven’t yet stated your sound preferences, Johnny R @audioconnection knows Quicksilver inside and out, and if he’s recommending ProAc (which I was gonna also recommend BTW) and Vandy I’d take that very seriously.  I’ll throw in Joseph Audio, Usher, QLN, Reference 3A, and Verity Audio as other relatively tube-friendly and excellent speakers to consider.  Read reviews of the above and, if at all possible, go to a dealer and give those that pique your interest a listen with your music.  Or, get to my home state of NJ and have Johnny R give you a kick-ass demo with both ProAcs and Vandys — it’d be well worth the trip.  And yeah, I’ve been there.  He’s the real deal. 

Vandersteen Model 5, 5A were paired up some times with the QS MX-135 amps years back, and forward. Said to be "consequently, can be driven by a mid-power amplifier despite its modest sensitivity of 87db". Also helped by its built-in sub, etc. Worth looking into even if they are older and require some type of refresh, updates - considering the desired price range. As recommended, check with Johnny R.

I've seen MX-135s on sold years later at my local dealer, and discussion around driving various electrostat speakers there too. Some transformers in them, fwiw.  

@sutts If you ever decide to sell the M135 monos please let me know- thanks!

Hey, "Get in the back and form a line" as they say.  Just kidding. 🤣 Some of the bigger QS amps have become somewhat collectible. The M135s are unique and desirable to some in their own way. Then came V4s, and Mono 120s, now becoming more unobtanium too. Maybe check over on the Quicksilver Facebook group, more  Some QS folks hanging out there too. 

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I have been enjoying the Quicksilvers with the Triangles. The Quicksilvers lit the Triangles up like the Mc240 never quite could. 

I just picked up a pair of  Magnepan LRS+’s for kicks. I will report back once break in is complete.

@thermionicemission  are your MX135s running the KT88s or EL34 output tubes? If so, which ones. Originally I believe they came with EH KT88s. Can taylor the sound some from there or with the smaller 12FQ7, 12AU7s if you choose. Good sample of different type speakers you have there too, should be fun. Enjoy! 

@decooney I am running NOS RFT EL34’s biased at 40ma. 12AU7’s are RCA clear tops and 12FQ7’s are RCA as well. 

@thermionicemission nice setup and choices for tubes. I’m a huge EL34 fan myself, in the right amp with good transformers. Curious to know what you think of this particular M135/tube setup now - compared to your MC240. Which is simply more engaging to sit and listen to music for longer listening sessions, and why?

Eminent Technology LFT-8b ($3200/pr) or -8c ($4500/pr). Unlike the similar Maggies (both being planar-magnetic designs), the LFT is an appropriate candidate for a great tube amp like any of the Quicksilvers. 

+1 @bdp24 i've actually heard both the LFT-8b and LFT-16a speakers through various older generation and recently new Quicksilver amps at my local dealer multiple times. Interesting how the ETs are very low efficiency yet the QS-ET combo sounds very nice together. Heard them with my QS M120s too, very nice!   

One reason for that @decooney is that the ET’s have a relatively high modulus of impedance. If you bi-amp the LFT’s, the planar-magnetic panel itself is an almost purely-resistive 11 ohm load. Maggies on the other hand are nominally 4 ohms, dropping to 2 ohms at some frequencies. Tubes don’t like low impedances.

By the way, one of the few of his contemporaries Roger Modjeski respected and saw eye-to-eye with was Mike Sanders of Quicksilver Audio. Another was Tim de Paravicini of EAR-Yoshino. But then Roger was known to be somewhat ornery ;-) .

Both Maggies and ET’s are very low-sensitivity designs (low-to-mid 80’s), but as with all dipole planars that measurement ignores the back wave of the loudspeaker, half of their output!

@thermionicemission how are those Magnepan LRS speakers coming along paired up with the Quicksilver M135 amps?

No disrespect but loudspeakers should be chosen by ear and then a determination should br made as to whether your amp is s good match. I don’t understand asking for loudspeaker suggestions based on a given amp. The opposite I do understand-asking for amp suggestions for a given loudspeaker. 

@decooney Unfortunatly I haven’t had much more than an hour of listening time with the Quicksilver and LRS+ pairing. It may be some time before break in is complete. Remodeling the kitchen and my listening area is currently full of new appliances awaiting install.

I lent my Mc240 to my brother to pair with his Klipsch Cornwalls. It is a nice match for sure. We listened to this combo for hours with non fatiguing joy. 

@fsonicsmith1 The situation is that the amplifiers came first. I wasn’t in the market, but the deal on them was too good to pass up. 

I have been an audio enthusiast for decades and have always enjoyed buying, selling, and repairing gear. Mostly vintage tube units. I am pleased with the Quicksilvers with the Triangles together.  Just thought I would solicit other’s opinions. Thanks to everyone once again for your responses.

Thought I would give the LRS+‘a a shot  to see what all the hoopla was about. Besides they were only $1k and I didn’t even have to get on a waiting list. My local dealer had them in stock.   I have never had an amplifier(s) that I thought was capable of dynamically driving Magnepans.