Rolling Stone top 100 Guitarists - Howe/Van Halen

OK, I just listened to The Yes Album for about the millionth time and I have one question; how on earth did the dudes at Rolling Stone put Steve Howe at number 69 on their list? I realize they tend to be a holier than thou (or smarter-than-thou) bunch, but come on. Didn't this guy win like every guitar award from musician magazines in the 70's? I was shocked as I read through the list and saw the names ahead of him. I just assumed he would be in the top 10 for unbelievable technical skill alone. The guy is simply amazing. I don't want to start a debate on some of the extremely questionable picks, especially in the top 10, but this guy is one of the all time greats.

To me it's like forgetting about Stan Musial because he played in St Louis instead of NY, LA or Chicago. Still one of the all time greats.

That brings me to the most amazing slight on that list: Eddie Van Halen at 70??? Didn't he basically invent speed metal? His tapping technic along with the rest of his unbelievable arsenal should put him in the top 10 if not the top 5, I mean come on. Because they didn't like Van Halen's pop/Rock they shun him down to 70?? I'm not a huge Van Halen fan but I think they had 2 great albums (Van Halen, 1984) and his playing on those alone should get him in the top 10.

I kept thinking that with the exceptions, IMO, of Jimmy Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Kirk Hammett no one else could play all the music of all the other guitarists as well as VH could. George Harrison, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton or The Edge getting through 'Eruption', 'Ain't Talkin' Bout Love' or 'Hot for Teacher'? I don't think so. I can't think of anything Van Halen couldn't play extremely well, both artistically and technically.

Most the "Greatest" lists are BS, but this instance seemed really egregious to me.
macdadtexas
I just noticed Duane's comments on Ry Cooder at #8. His points are fair, but this particular choice may simply reflect some of the other considerations that (I assume) the Rolling Stone (the magazine) team took in when compiling the list.

My understanding is that Cooder was the main influence on The Rolling Stones (the band) during the period leading up to Let It Bleed. He basically introduced mandolin and slide guitar into the Stones' vocabulary and ...arguably more importantly...moved Keef into open G tuning, which kinda defines his playing.

None of that makes him #8, but it does point out that these ratings may reflect particular considerations (especially as to "influence") that might not be apparent at first glance.

My list would look quite different, but this latest one from Rolling Stone could be worse.

Marty
Angus Young's guitar playing, though surely not to everyone's liking, is about as good as it gets in my book.

He is so much better than so many other cats listed ahead of him it's ridiculous. And the fact that he blasted out of the gates with one of the top rock anthems of all time ("Back In Black") immediately proceeding the unfortunate demise of Bon Scott shows you what he was made of.
Macdad, I LIKE your list. Agree totally-dont think anyone can really say Jimmy Page makes EVH look like a child-two totally different guitarists who BOTH pioneered new techniques, Page and his bowing, EVH and tapping. Howe is a standout for me simply because his playing spans so many genres, from rock to jazz to classical. I love Santana's fluidity and use of sustain and his emotional playing. And Hendrix-no need to say a word.
Was listening to the live version of Close to the Edge on Keys to Ascension. hadn't heard it in a while. Awesome live recording and performance, totally off the charts! After listening to it Howe sits at #1 again for me as he often does when I am properly reminded.

While listening I'm thinking CTTE is the modern rock music equivalent of a Mahler symphony say.
now that this has been sorted go have a look at the rock and roll hall of fame and be even more puzzled.
I bet half the people who contributed to this article were not even around when The yardbirds were around. I haven't read a Rolling Stone in ages not since they started to cover all media evenly. Remember no list will satisfy anyone unless they wrote it.
I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, and not a very big Van Halen fan, but I don't agree Jimmy Page makes Eddie VH look like a child. I like Zeppelin much better, but I still think EVH is every bit as good as the GREAT Jimmy Page.

My top 5 would be:

1) Jimmy Hendrix
2) Steve Howe
3) Jimmy Page
4) Eddie Van Halen
5) Carlos Santana

My take on the best ever
Steve Howe is still amazing but Eddie van Halen is awesome but no bog deal. Jimmy Page makes him look like a child.
Macdadtexas,

Saw this old post.

I agree that the Yes album is wonderful... also agree that Eric Clapton is not that great - the Yardbirds were much better with Beck.

Interesting that no one mentioned Les Paul in the posts.
Rolling Stone is mostly a left wing political rag these days and should go away, I Believe. But isn't it Top "Rock" Guitarists?

Segovia, Gordon Giltrap, Pepe Romero, John Williams(also in the band Sky)are all amazing.
hi all,in early 1972 i had the priveledge of hearing a genuine master guituarist.At Wingate college auditorium,Mr Andre Segovia.If any one deserves the title of Mr. guitar it is this man.I have seen Clapton, Townsend,L. west,Roy Buchannon,LEO KOTKE,and on & on.Segovia was the master.BTW,AGREE ROLLING STONE MAG SHOULD PACK UP AND MOVE ON.
Have to agree with Tvad about Steve Howe. I'm a musician (played guitar and bass in area bands in the late 60's and early 70's)and most of my friends were also musicians. All of us marvelled at Howe's facility on guitar which encompassed not only rock but some jazz and classical knowledge and technique as well. Saw him with Yes twice-excellent shows! Listen to his later solo album or the one where he plays with his son. Rolling Stone is definitely NOT the magazine it was back in the 60's or 70's.
Fair enough - Thanks for the story about Letterman. Of course, there is no "world's greatest guitarist," and in any event, I doubt Hendrix ever heard Segovia.
Billm,

I've seen that quote attributed many times to many different people (including Clapton and Hendrix) and seen that it was purportedly directed at many people (including Gallagher and Garcia, among many others). It's kind of risen to urban legend status, and I don't know if any of these references are accurate.

I do know that you will find a more specific reference to David Letterman putting the question to Clapton on his show and Clapton's answer was "Caleb Quaye". You can find many references to that interview by googling either Letterman+Clapton+Quaye or visiting the Brazen Guitar web site. Quaye is a sponsor of the brand and quotes Letterman directly. To my knowledge, no one else has personally claimed to be the object of that quote. Of course that doesn't make it true, but the guy has to have some giant balls to make the claim if it isn't.

I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of personal claims in this matter is not complete and also that it is possible that both Clapton and Hendrix got the same question at different times and offered similar answers. However, the Clapton/Quaye episode is the only one for which I can find that kind of substantiation.

FWIW.

Marty
Michael Hedges was one of the best for me. I got to see him 3 times before his sudden death. Each time I saw him I was amazed with his command of the instrument.
Kurt Cobain #12..........Johnny Ramone #16
but yet, Les Paul#46..........Danny Gatton#63 ???
Yes, our planet truely must be square!!!!!
But I think you are very wrong about G.Harrison Tim. Guitar Player mag called him a near prodigy and I agree. He wasn't super when he started with the Beatles but he became so.
09-01-09: Timrhu
"How about Terry Kath. An amazing guitarist.
As for George Harrison, I never thought he was the best guitar player in the band."

Even Hendrix was impressed with Kath. Not a bad endorsement.
I've seen Howe and Yes live 5 times or so.

Worth the price of admission every time just to watch Howe do his thing on guitar.
Steve Howe still performs with Yes and Asia. Asia has been on tour this summer. Yes is always doing something.
Post removed 
"Maybe it has to do with the people we hung out with"

Yes, Tvad, I think that is key. I was around in 70s growing up in a very small blue collar town where only Sabbath, Led Zep,Pink Floyd, and a few others were allowed. Music had to have a hard mean edge. Anything lighter, experimental, and acoustic would get you run out of town on a rail or at least beeten up a little. :)

"Does anyone know what he has been doing lately?"

He continues to put out solo albums, and just saw him giving a free guitar lesson on Comcast on Demand.
I especially dug The Syndicats, though there's no evidence of "musical genius" there (really the point)!
Every time I listen to any Yes album, I am shocked that Steve Howe is somehow forgotten.

They guy is an absolute genius, and I have never been a huge YES fan. But how can you not just marvel at the artistry of this guy?

Does anyone know what he has been doing lately?
Post removed 
Instrumental guitarists never get much attention.
Steve has done tons of solo acoustic guitar work that is great and amazing but not what pop or rock radio would want. I have learned to play guitar, so SH is great to learn from. I now think he is one of the masters and should be much higher on the all time greats list. Knowing how to play guitar really allows one to determine who is really good and who is not. Not what the media or some top 100 list tells us.
I'm am now just discovering Steve Howe for the first time.
In the 1970s he and Yes were, imo somewhat bybassed because it wasn't hard and heavy like AC/DC etc. At that time we wanted to play like Aerosmith or Zepp.
Bongofury, I agree that Rolling Stone does tend to miss a lot of the top people when they do their lists. There are several drummers that did not appear on the list that should have.
I don't remember which magazine it was, it was late 1990's.
One of these mags had Bevies & Butthead listed. They even had them listed above real guitarist ! I remember a friend of mine was all tore up because B&B was rated higher than Ted Nugent ! Come on now, all politics aside Bevies & Butthead out playing Uncle Ted !
Take these ratings with a grain of salt !
There are many "lost" players that Rolling Stone would miss.

I think Skunk Baxter is very under-rated, especially his ground breaking work with Steely Dan. Amazing body of varied sounds and styles. Can't wait to hear his new solo album coming out.

I love David Lindley's slide guitar, especially on Jackson Browne's early work and with his solo band, El Rayo X.

How about the understated playing of J.J. Cale?

Lindsey Buckingham has a very unique style of playing without a pick.

Steve Earle and Lucinda William's guitarist completely define Americana that rocks.

Within Alternative music, I like both guitarists for Pearl Jam: they are wonderful--better live than on any studio work.

Les Paul was amazing in his NY club dates--a really gifted player, RIP.

Marc Ribot: one of the best of the new session cats: can turn circles over more acclaimed players. Too many great tracks, including his work with Tom Waits.

Rodrigo & Gabriela are incredible alternativo latin music players--amazing live.

Amadou and Tiraniwin define African music.
One more thought - slightly OT. I just picked up a Danny Gatton cd called "Live 9/9/94". He plays a double neck throughout (Tele w/Strat pickups on top, 6 string bass w/Strat pickups below). Bizarrely eclectic set list: Chuck Mangione, rockabilly, pop-flavored originals, surf rock medley, etc. Even though this was after his arm injury, the playing is still breathtaking. Weird enough that it won't be for every taste, but if you want to hear some virtuoso pop/rock/country/jazz guitar, it's hard to argue with this one.

Marty
Reading Duane's response, I forgot that Gatemouth had been omitted from the list. You could argue that his early recordings on the Peacock label were the first "true" rock 'n' roll records. That miss is criminal.

Marty

PS I had the good fortune of seeing Gatemouth in concert on a few ocassions (including a dinner cruise! around Manhattan island) and he was tremendous. Also a hugely underrated fiddle player.

PPS Clapton may well be overrated by certain measures, but I don't get the continued bashing. Listen to the guy play - he's terrific. Innovation, exotic technique, and even a unique "voice" aren't the whole game. Clapton's playing (at its best) is simply more beautiful than most. Tastes vary - I get that - but if you love guitar, I don't understand how you just dismiss EC.

Also, he needn't worry about sending Freddie King a check - he'll be reimbursed by about a thousand others who'll owe him on the same basis (see Carlos Santana and Mark Knopfler, for starters). BTW, Freddie King will also owe Jimmy Rodgers a few bucks, too. And I'm sure that Jimmy Rodgers will owe...etc, etc.

Marty
Hey Tvad, hope things are going well...forgot to identify Joe Perry as the guy they put at 48, one notch above John McLaughlin. Rolling Stone, (i know jan wenner is a voracious Audiogon thread reader)... try polling or hiring someone who is familiar w/ the output of both guitarists. Quit walking around w/ an old load in your pants.
Post removed 
Didn't see any accompanying text but this is another poor job from RS, If putting together a list like this is your job (what you are supposed to be good at), less head up the ass should be expected. This one fails to prioritze based on levels of cultural influence, technical ability or even (surprisingly) units sold.
7) SRV... Hendrix is already on the list at #1. If you take the Hendrix out of SRV he's at least 80% reduced as a guitarist.
8) Ry Cooder is generic stuff... wall paper... has not expanded the vocabulary while dozens of unlisted players have. He also hasn't got the chops or sales to be #8.
11) Kirk Hammet... not even close to the most fire breathing metal guitarist. May have sold about the most units, but Dimebag, Chris Poland, EVH, Vai, Michael Schenker, Y. Malmsteen, U. Roth and many others dwarf him.
12) Curt Cobain... I dig Nirvana, but isolating Cobain as a guitarist and putting him in the top 50 of a 100 player list is an ignoramus move even for a junior high kid.
13) Jerry Garcia ... this is a folk hero and cultural figure, he just was not one of the top 100 guitarists by any rational yardstick.
17) Jack White has done some cool stuff still WAY less than many other players who are lower on the list or not even on the list.
21) Geo. Harrison... another cultural icon who may have made a big crater, but not as a guitarist.
23) Warren Haynes... G.T.F.O. HUNDREDS are higher when intelligently evaluated including Dickie Betts.
25) Freddy King does not whup Albert Collins, Eddie Guitar Slim or Clarence Gatemouth Brown, (a fact stronger than gravity).
26) Tom Morello... Reeves Gabrels, David Torn, Nels Cline, Holdsworth and at least 50 other guitarists better or equal his depravity.
27) Knopfler is a good craftsman, but there are too many real greats out there for this choice to stand as 27.
28) Steve Stills...same problem... mostly pretty generic stuff, Michael Hedges who cited him as an influence was light years past him.
29) Ron Asheton, I like the Stooges, but this is wrong in a list that excludes, Brian James, Buck Dharma and Hugh Cornwell, besides James Williamson was the guitarist on Raw Power.
31) Dick Dale... he's done some good stuff, but Hank Marvin, (Shadows), Bob Bogle/Don Wison (Ventures) and especially Jim Thomas of the Mermen belong higher.
45) Zappa... putting FZ this low is dumb all over and ugly on the side.
48) More blatant stupidity... this has a particularly vile aroma when seeing #49 is the vastly superior John McLaughlin (RS basically claims that a cat fart is more powerful than a volcano w/ this one).
50) Pete Townsend... You morons put Warren Haynes, SRV, Edge, Jack White, George Harrison and Ron Asheton higher... please pay attention, you really suck.
52) Lou Reed... For sure put out some cool stuff and a lotta crap... not really a guitar player.
55) Richie Blackmore... Randy Rhoads, Yngwie and a whole vein of guitar playing was largely pioneered by this guy (Kirk Hammet is #11 and Blackmore is #55... couldn't get it much worse by picking names from a hat.
61) Ike Turner (where's David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman)... if the list can only go to 100 there's no room for Ike.
69) Steve Howe maybe should be higher. Omission of Terje Rypdal, Steve Hillage, Holdsworth, John Etheridge, Larry Coryell, Sonny Sharrock and gobs of others is a bigger gaff.
70) Van Halen like it or not changed what was possible and kicks the poop out of most RS top 50 choices.
75) Adam Jones (Tool)... Might be room after Raoul Bjorkenheim, Ron Thal, Buckethead, Michael Karoli (CAN), Kido Natsuki, Steve Tibbets, Fred Frith, Marc Ducret, Marc Ribot, Tsuneo Imahori, Wes Montgomery, Tal Farlow, Django Reinhardt, Peter Wolbrandt, Jukka Tolonen, Jan Akkerman, David Tronzo, Warren Cuccurullo, Brian Godding, Andreas Willers, Christy Doran, John Abercrombie, Volker Kriegel, Ax Generich, Roman Bunka, Radim Hladik, Greg Howe, Uwe Kropinski, Derek Bailey, Brian Goodsall... No there isn't enough room. Same goes for (78) Robbie Robertson, (81) Derek Trucks (good but not unique or great) (87) Joan Jett (not even in the top 1000).

Any widely published top 100 guitarist list would probably stir up a lot of stink... why not make a list that mostly annoys poorly informed people or weirder yet make one that might get people to check out stuff they haven't heard before.
In a R.S interview Hendrix was asked...

“Jimi, what does it feeeeel like to be the best guitarist in the world?”

and he responded...

“I don't know.. why don't you go ask Jerry Garcia.”

I remember reading something like that some @ some point.
Any "Top 100 Guitarists" list that does not include Archie Andrews from The Archies in the number 1 spot,was put together by imbeciles.Andrews was especially brilliant during his addiction to "cough syrup and soda pop shooters". I talked to EVH once and he told me that his entire technique was stolen from Andrews.EC reportedly refered to Andrews as "GOD" after attending an Archies show.Hendrix once auditioned for the Archies and Andrews turned him down because he could not get the chords to "Sugar,Sugar" right.
people have rioted and died for lesser things than disrespecting david gilmour thus...
My true Stevie Ray Vaughn story.

My first visit to Austin, TX was in 1983. A huge group of us were walking down 6th street about 6pm which is really early to be out on a Saturday night, it was a typical beautiful November (or late October) night and a bunch of people were already starting to congregate outside some random bar.

We walked over to see what was so interesting that early (2 for 1 drinks maybe?) and some dude is sitting on the stage by himself playing the guitar. So we squeeze in and basically steal a table, place maybe seated 70 people legally, and order some drinks. I had no idea who this guy was, and he's just jamming by himself, both with his acoustic and electric guitars as people are setting up equipment for a band. People start pouring into the bar at this point and Austin PD closes off the bar and the sidewalk right outside the bar. They come in an BS with the guy playing the guitar so they obviously know him.

Well the guy was Stevie Ray Vauhgn, and the bar was owned by some buddy of his, and his band just wanted to play that night so the called him and asked if it was OK. To this day I have never seen anyone play the guitar like that. He sat up there for about 45 minutes playing by himself, his brother came up and jammed with him a little but mostly he just seemed to be praticing.

So they got off the stage at about 7, hung out at the bar eating BBQ (County Line I am sure, very good if you are in Austin), and BS-ing (while we got very drunk) then the took the stage again about 9 pm with the full band and played until midnight.

Easily in my top 3 entertainment experiences ever. They were just great, and he was abolutely amazing. I never saw Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Chuck Barry or Jeff Beck. But I have seen Pete Townsend (great,well the band was great), BB King (great), Eric Clapton (see above), EVH (great), Steve Howe (great), Keith Richard, Lindsey Buckingham, Kirk Hammet, ..... I've seen a lot of guys live I guess. But no one ever just blew me away like SRV did. Maybe it's because I didn't know who he was before I heard him play, but man what an amazing talent.
"I think people think he is the world's best guitar player simply because there has been 40 years of hype about him!"

Yes, hype/promotion is key!

#'s are required to objectively measure anything. Hype/promotion is the key to exposure and obtaining #'s.

The music industry has always understood this principle well.

Popularity assures some level of ability and influence on others usually but level of popularity does not correlate to level of quality. Artistic quality is a very subjective thing to measure as we all know. Still, there are many who are influential beyond their level of mass popularity. That usually is an indicator that something special may be going on there.

Clapton is good but certainly not better than many others to me.
Macdadtexas: anyone hearing Stevie Ray Vaughn for 2 seconds will respond with a 'what was THAT". In my opinion, Clapton evokes reputation before appreciation. I think people think he is the world's best guitar player simply because there has been 40 years of hype about him!
While My Guitar Gently weeps or maybe Hideaway would be Clapton in top form. First off this list is ancient. I think it's over 6 years old. This does simply come down to personal taste. I mean Manuel Gottsching, Joey Santiago, Yngwie, Doug Martsch, Carrie Brownstein, Paul Gilbert, Holdsworth, Di Meola & a slew of neo-classical "shred" guys would be on my list but I'm sure people would be saying "who are these clowns". I also don't get the fascination with Mark Knopfler.
Chashmal, I am 100% with you, but I didn't have the stones to say it first. I can't think of any Cream/Clapton songs where the guitar gives me a charge. Nothing like say Stevie Ray Vaughn playing "Pride and Joy", Tony Immomi playing "Paranoid", Jimmy Page playing "The Ocean", Jimmy Hendrix playing "All Along the Watchtower" Chuck Berry playing "Roll Over Beethoven" EVH playing "Hot for Teacher" where's the great Clapton moment that only he could play? I don't feel it.
Eric Clapton might be the most over rated player, and musician, in history.

Maybe one day he will send over a nice fat check to Freddy King's family to compensate for what he stole.
I would actually put Joni Mitchell higher on the list. A great guitar player. Maybe had she windmilled, leapt over the mike stand, and smashed it she might have finished ahead of Pete at #50. But alas she just played it.

As for #50... I've often said that Pete Townshend is nowhere near the technical master of the guitar that, say, Eric Clapton is - but anyone who'd rather listen to Clapton than Townshend is bonkers.

Maybe they need 2 lists - a skills list and an adrenaline list.

Yeah, let's have more lists.

Cheers