Help buying fullrange speakers for $1500

The title says all, folks. Thanks a bunch. I have only $1500 and no more and yet want a fullrange speaker pair with full bass. I know it may not get me a very high-end spaker but what is the best in that price?
sgtr
one things you may want to consider is what you will do next. FOr example it sounds like you want a 2 channel system right now. All things equal with $1500 you can get some very nice speakers, especially if you can go used. Now do you think you will want to go with a 4.0, 4.1, 5.1 or something like that system in the future? If so you may want to think about what you will do with the stuff you are buying now. FOr example if you go bookshelves now they can be a surround later.

may help you narrow things down now.
wow, so many choices. Thanks guys but I am confused now.
I have a Prasound HCA 2200 and medium size room.
Here is a 3'rd for the VS VR4! I have owned many
speakers in this price range, but these top them
all by far. Not only great for 2ch music, but "outstanding"
for HT as well. No sub needed!
You will have to spend much much more to better them.
As long as your amp is not on the bright/lean side, try to find a pair of Energy Veritas 2.3 or 2.4 - some of the most transparent speakers you will hear, along with bass that digs deeply.
Another vote for Vandersteens. I've seen 2ce Sig II's and even 3a Sigs for that price. Haven't heard the 2ce Sig II's, but the 3a Sigs are all the speaker I'll ever need.
lots of USED choices @ $1500 ... if by full-range you are referring to 20hz performance, the NHT 3.3 is a great choice though a bit odd looking (if that matters). if you are not looking for 20hz performance, just something to the 35hz mark or so the field REALLY opens up. Alon Mk V's are a FANTASTIC deal used though again a bit odd looking

I was lucky enough to pick up a $10k retail speaker for $1700 a year or so ago ... if you are patient, you can get GREAT deals used
Hi. second the VR4, fantastic speaker, if you have the room, would have to spend $7000,minimun to better sound,
also will work great with both, solid state, and tube amps:

Cheers:
You might want to check out the Revel Concerta F12 speakers.(I believe new will cost you between 1200 and 1500) Very, very nice speakers; I had Magnepan MMGs and then won these in a contest. They will satisfy you within your budget. The only downside is if you are going for a HT setup then you will definitely need to pick up the Center (C12, I believe) which will push you over the 1500 budget.

They can be biamped too.
I suggest Von Schweikert VR-4 speakers. 20Hz to 25KHz, 6 ohms impedance and 90db @ 1 Watt, 1 meter. Relatively easy to drive, big sound and solid base. This is a quality full range speaker that can be found for less than $1,500. Good luck and have fun!
Mirage's new owner Klipsch has discontinued Mirage's higher line speakers. The good news is that the last of these gems are being blown out at fire sale prices. You can get the Mirage OMD-15 floorstanding speakers, originally $2500/pair and very competitive at that price point, for $800/pair at Vann's with 7-day return privilege and full factory warranty. The flagship OMD-28, originally $7500/pair and linear down to about 22 Hz, are being finished off at $2600/pair. Man, I wish I could get a pair of those.

I have used a pair of OMD-15s in my main listening system for two years, powered by a 100 wpc integrated amp and they are outstanding. Definitely good usable bass down to about 34 Hz, very transparent midrange, and smooth, airy treble. They are forgiving of upscale electronics (to a point), yet are resolving enough to yield big improvements when source and amplification components and cables are upgraded. The main break-in period takes about 100 hrs, but they keep getting better for the next year of listening.

At $800 a pair nothing can touch them. Nothing.
"Full-range" means a speaker that can cover all ten octaves, 20 Hz. to 20,000 Hz., and in particular, that has flat bass to 20 Hz. - such speakers are rare and very expensive by most people's standards. Assuming that you mean "basically full-range", we're talking about something that has flat response at 40 Hz., which is the lowest note of a double bass or electric bass. It's difficult to find a basically full-range, quality speaker for $1,500, especially one that has accurate bass response.

If you do not have a large room (say, bigger than 15' x 20'), I would recommend a pair of used Dunlavy SC-3's. Dunlavy has been out of business for 5+ years, but in the event you would blow a tweeter, they are user replaceable and not particularly expensive. Having five drivers per speaker (two woofers, two mids and a tweeter), they go fairly loud, but more importantly, they are accurate and musical. Check the threads and you'll find a lot of enthusiasm.
The very best speaker that you could possibly purchase, and I am talking full range with lots of bass, perhaps not the very most musical bass, but bass never the less would be, in my opinion........................drum roll please..............a good pair of monitors ( merlins or reference 3A or Harbeth ) and later get a subwoofer.

A small caveat here, I am a dealer. Not for any of the above mentioned speakers but a dealer non the less so as audiophile would say take my comments with a grain of salt. I know you were real taken by the serious tone and were on the way to becoming a true believer. So sorry.

Have fun.
Jim
lots of nice used speakers for that price..but not knowing what you have or like, its tough to recommend 'one'.
You are getting great responses. However, your amp or receiver will make a huge difference. What are you driving the speakers with?
Dynaudio DM 2/10 (new). This is a stand mount speaker, but uses a 10" woofer and will put to shame most floorstanders.

Dynaudio Focus 140 (used). Again, a stand mount speaker, but sounds bigger than many floorstanders.

Monitor Audio RX6 or RX8 (new). These are both available around that price or less. They are both floorstanders and offer about the best bang for buck in that price range period. I prefer the RX6 which offers a nice high end sound but with plenty of full range bass as well. The RX8 bass needs a big room, but will serves up a knock out sound.

Totem Hawk (used). Rich full sound from a small floorstander.

B&W 684 (new) OR B&W CM7 (used) - The CM7 is a taste of the high end sound and a fantastic midrange. Very nice speaker.

All of these choices are dynamite and you can't really go wrong with any of them, but given your emphasis on "full-range" sound, I'd get the MA RX8.
Vandersteen 2ce Signature II's. There's a pair listed now for $1500. These definitely would be considered "high-end" speakers though not as glamorous as some.

No relation to the seller.
If used is OK check out some Klipsch klf 20's or 30's. My son has a pair of 30's and his neighbors will tell you about the bass.
You can get a pair of NHT classic fours new from a seller here on agon for $1500 shipped. They are very nice speakers (I love mine). But a pair of used Polk LSI15s for $800 or so would be really hard to beat for the $$.

Mark
Snell CIV (C4) speakers are an excellent speakers, that is if you can find a used pair now days.
I have owned countless speakers over the years, including some quite exquisite (and expensive) ones. Find my related review on the Verity Audio Parsifal to this effect here on Audiogon.

One of the steal of the century concerning ''budget'' speakers has to be the Polk Audio LS15. Please do a google search on this one, it is for real. I just saw a pair for a measly $ 700.00 or so here on Agon. If these are in top shape, they will be hard to beat this side of $ 3,000.00

Nice tweeter (same as in many higher-end products), great looks and solid wood. Get past the Polk badge with the snobby crowd, and frankly, this speaker is a no-brainer.

Good luck,

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1281563217&/Polk-Lsi15-
Please look at the Annandale Acoustics A-25 XL2. We have a pair of demo's on Audiogon right now at $1,499. They are regularly $2,500. They have a 10" woofer which produces a very nice punchy tight bass response.