Best CD I've heard so far 2011.........

Sarah Jarosz/Song Up In Her Head
Like a breath of fresh air, just great!
128x128rja
Yea Marco, I think you will really like that one but of all the nonsense I spew on this forum, I cannot recommend the new Mountain Goats, All Eternals Deck, highly enough. Especially knowing you....this is one I would say rush out and buy it tonight then listen to it over and over again. I have it on as I type and just can't stop loving it more and more. I really do think it's brilliant. It got me from track 1.

I have 2 old Talk Talk albums but never really followed them after that. I'll do a little sampling of the Mark Hollis stuff, thanks for that! I love these threads.
Thanks, Richard. I've been on the fence about buying the new Mountain Goats LP, and will now proceed.

Among recent releases, Low "C'Mon" and Panda Bear "Tomboy" are high water marks for both artists. These and new Foo Fighters are fine vinyl.
Yea Marco, I think you will really like that one but of all the nonsense I spew on this forum, I cannot recommend the new Mountain Goats, All Eternals Deck, highly enough. Especially knowing you....this is one I would say rush out and buy it tonight then listen to it over and over again. I have it on as I type and just can't stop loving it more and more. I really do think it's brilliant. It got me from track 1.

Listened to the samples you sent on YouTube - GREAT STUFF, Richard!! Loved all three cuts and great lyrics. He sounds like he could be Jeff Mangum's long lost brother (another one of my favorites). Some vids back at'cha. Do check out that Mark Hollis solo, I think you'll dig on it. Here's a vid (hardly a vid - a picture of the album cover) of my favorite cut, A New Jerusalem. It's not too challenging material (so your pansy-ass system should be up to the task ;-P - very sparse and stark, and quite slow paced (so don't expect no NWA, or the urge to dance in the streets - you may have the urge to slit your wrists though - iow not for everyone). Been enjoying another 2011 release that I'm sure you turned me on to (?) - Heidi Spencer, Under Streetlight Glow.
@Airegin - Great album there. One of the better jazz releases I have heard this year as well.
Just spun thru the new Feelies CD "Here Before". Just what the doctor ordered! The first half picks up just where they left off on their last release (in 1991!) and the second half wanders off in somewhat new directions.
Fixin To Die--G Love & The Special Sauce
It was produced by the Avett Brothers.
Great roots album!!!
Ditto Fleet Foxes. On first listen new TV on the Radio is mostly a flop. Keep hoping they'll top Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes.

New Eleventh Dream Day, The Walkmen, Low Anthem.
Diana Krall, Doing All Right. Live concert recording from the Jazzaldia Festival in Spain.
In have an add, one I find truly special.

The Antlers "Burst Apart"

This is not "Hospice" nor will anything ever be like it but it does have the layers of swirling, rich and difficult intensity. With lyrics like "...Prove to me/that I'm not gonna die alone...." this is not a simple record, yet I felt connected to it from the first play and find myself wanting to start it over each time the closing song fades. This is going to be on my years best list for sure.
And another that is headed for my album of the year list....

Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi "Rome"

Rather than try to explain this myself, this is the description from Amazon. Amazing piece of music unlike anything I've heard and also a way cool recording using vinatge gear, live to tape:

"Some five years in the making, the conception of Rome actually dates back even further, to the 2004 meeting of Brian Burton a/k/a Danger Mouse and Italian composer/arranger Daniele Luppi. Burton was emerging from the aftermath of the media storm around his Grey Album and beginning work on Gorillaz now multi-platinum and Grammy winning Demon Days. Luppi was amassing acclaim for his album An Italian Story, which paid tribute to the cinematic sounds that shaped his childhood, while writing music for the screen (Sex In The City, Nine, etc.) and soon thereafter contributing arrangements to Burton projects including Gnarls Barkley, Dark Night of the Soul and Broken Bells.

United in their shared passion for classic Italian film music, Burton and Luppi have created a record like no other: Intense songwriting periods both together and apart and travels to Rome during which Luppi reunited for the first time in decades original musicians from the scores of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West including the legendary Marc 4 backing band and Alessandro Alessandroni's 'I Cantori Moderni' choir laid the groundwork. Recording took place in Rome's cavernous Forum Studios formerly Ortophonic Studios, founded, amongst others, by the great Ennio Morricone -- employing vintage equipment, for which Burton and Luppi would pay with bottles of wine, and making every effort to replicate the recording practices of the 1960s/70s golden age, recording live to tape, with no electronics, computers or 21st-century effects.

Crucial to the completion of Rome has been the enlistment of two lead vocalists who not only do justice to but complete the three songs each written for a man and a woman. While on tour with Gnarls Barkley, Burton met Jack White and a year later, White recorded his contributions The Rose With The Broken Neck, Two Against One and The World in Nashville. White s counterpart, in a revelatory turn, is Norah Jones, who flew to Burton s L.A. studio from New York to sing on Season's Trees, Black and Problem Queen.

With acclaimed director and photographer Chris Milk brought in as "Visual Director", half a decade of hard work and unstinting perfectionism would draw to a close as the album and package were completed.

From Rome's opening with soprano Edda Dell'Orso's dramatic voice (the same haunting vocal presence from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 44 years ago) gracing Theme of Rome to the closing strains of The World, Rome -- for all its cinematic qualities -- is not the soundtrack to an imaginary movie, but rather a complex, nuanced pop record rife with counterpoints of intensity and darkness as well as uplift and light. (Luppi calls it "a small window on human life, touching on love, death, happiness, desperation, and the visceral connection of a man and a woman".) It's an ambitious work with a uniquely modern sound achieved through traditional, vintage means. It is, above all, a fully realized album, perfectly formed and hauntingly beautiful.

Welcome to Rome."
Just goes to show how one person's great is another person's that's terrible. I thought Jeff Blakes self titled album is one of the worst recording I've ever heard. Made a coaster out of it.
Hot Tuna "Steady as She Goes" is a welcome surprise from Levon Helm's Woodstock studio. Well crafted at moments nervy combo of electric & acoustic blues Tuna, softened in spots by Jorma's country heart persona. With aging the voice is less reedy and more broadly expressive-- some may miss the tougher Tuna of yore. Casady's wonderfully fat bass tone anchors the entire enterprise, including a couple of extended solos that get jumpin' jack off his chair with eyebrows twitching. Not to be missed by anyone who ever cared about the better half of the Airplane.

If this is love I want my money back,
I want an honorable discharge. JK
Hbarrel....I'm sure many of the forum members here feel the same way about James Blake (not Jeff...Jeff Blake was a QB from ECU who went on to be an NFL bust although showed potential here and there....!). Dubstep, UK Garage, Grime... whatever it is, it's music thats hard to classify and it certainly is unlike most of what is written about on this forum. I try to recommend things that are a little different than the typical audiophile album. I enjoy discovering new artists/music and figured others on here do as well. I also realize that, as you wrote, one mans great is another mans terrible! I'm glad you gave it a go and at least you have a shiny new coaster! I love that album and think he is brilliant. I've since gotten every EP/single he has released.
Cass McCombs - Wit's End...I might already have my song of the year picked with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIkaPvbhuC4&fmt=22
Ra Ra Riot - The Orchard. Combo of Andrew Bird and Vamoire Weekend. Can't get their songs out of my head. These guys can write, sing and play. Heard them live on Mountain Stage.

Neal
I've got to add one more that Richard_Stacy introduced me to, but hasn't mentioned yet. Especially in the light of the OP's initial mention of Sarah Jarosz....here's another young, original breath of fresh air: Sarah Jaffe. I've been listening to her 2010 release, Suburban Nature, and have her 2011 release on the way. Here's a great sense of what she's about that actually has excellent sound!
Listening to clips from Rome right now (via Amazonz) and really like it. So much so that I was going to overnight it, but it's not released until next week!
Pehare,Maybe a little off topic as im not sure what year this came out.I just discovered Mavis Staples ,"Have a Little Faith"What a pleasure to listen to!I heard this first via HDtracks .Listening to the song samples on their website.Not entirely sure why,but the samples sound so good compared to the download I bought.Or most any CD I have.
hey Ray, yeah that's a good one too. try "we'll never turn back" w/ry cooder, jim keltner, ry's son, etc....if you ever have a chance to see her live - do it. she played at magnoliafest up here on the suwannee river a couple years ago. she stood on stage & took one look at the aging hippy audience & exclaimed "you all the flower childrens"
Pehare,Suwannee river,,,Im in Bradenton,Braden river is in my backyard!Another im enjoying is Hamilton Loomis,Aint Just Temporary,very good recording ,very tight band!
I love the James Blake album. One of the most original albums to come out of the electronica genre. Equal to the recent albums by The XX and Burial at defining the London music scene.
The James Blake album is a hynoptic lullaby-- the best accompaniment to an afternoon cat-nap since Susanna "Flower of Evil".
Jazz:
Benny Green Trio "Source"

Pop/Rock:
The Kills "Blood Pressures"
The Head & The Heart "Eponymous"
Noah and the Whale - Last Night On Earth

Fistful of Mercy - As I Call You Down

........both pretty good I think.
Rja (OP) - Sara Jarosz is in a feature story on NPR Music with links to two tracks from her new album released this month. Here's that link.
PS At the same link you can scroll down and find links to a story on Roger Waters new project, and one on Over the Rhine (one of my personal favorites).
Here's the link to Sarah Jarosz new album, released yesterday.

Also, do check out the Over the Rhine interview from the NPR link. Their new album, The Long Surrender, is here.
Thanks Jax2, I'll check out the story. Have the CD on order but hasn't arrived yet.
Love the new album Rome. Very atmospheric. Love the vox of Nora Jones on this.
Warren Haynes-Man in Motion; perhaps a bit compressed dynamically, but great songs and playing.
James Vincent McMorrow "Early In The Morning"

A highly recommended singer/songwriter effort from this Irish artist I think we will be hearing a lot more of. He recorded this by himself over 5 days in a cottage by the sea. Fans of Bon Iver + Iron & Wine will likely connect and find great joy in this music. Check out track 7, Follow You Down To The Red Oak Tree and track 8, Burning Down the Ropes. This album has become a favorite of mine, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

On the complete other end of the spectrum, some rap and R&B. 2 free mixtapes available for download at these artists websites:

The Weeknd "House of Balloons" - Very cool indie R&B stuff.

Big K.R.I.T. "Return Of 4Eva" - Laid back southern rap with big time mix talent.

Both of these are only available in mp3 format (free download) but sound pretty damn good. I found them in Pitchforks recommended new music and fell for them both right away, especially KRIT. I do realize there are many rap haters here but some fans linger amongst us too! I don't get most of the stuff thats out there these days but a rap artist will come along here and there that just hits me right. My wife loves this one too.
richard stacy, that weeknd disc is very cool (as well as free). thanks for the heads up.
The Scenic Route, by the Galen Kipar Project. It's a "small" release from mid-2010. I suppose you might call it Americana with a bit of jam-band sensibility. Musically interesting and fresh, plus memorable songs.
Thanks to Marco and the other folks that suggested Sarah Jarosz new release. Fine fine record. What a young talent! Watched her youtube vids of the Austin City Limits performance and just loved them. That is one heck of a band. She sounds much like the second coming of Gillian Welch. The girl can flat out play guitar + banjo.

On the twangy side.....have a listen to Zoe Muth & The Lost High Rollers "Starlight Hotel". Throwback to Dolly and the classic Nashville ladies. Sweet pedal steel playing, gets me everytime. This album makes me wanna put a gunrack and confederate flag in my pickup.
Snakes for the Divine-High on Fire
Soon to be released Kaiors-Sepultura may dethrone this metal masterpiece.
Thanks to Marco and the other folks that suggested Sarah Jarosz new release. Fine fine record. What a young talent! Watched her youtube vids of the Austin City Limits performance and just loved them. That is one heck of a band. She sounds much like the second coming of Gillian Welch. The girl can flat out play guitar + banjo.

Yo, Richard - You know Gillian's got a new one (FINALLY!!) coming out on the 28th of this month. I'm still digging big time on Sara Jaffe too, though the brand new EP was a bit of a disappointment compared to Suburban Nature (big shoes to fill though, so it's not half bad). Also warming up to Josh T. Pearson. Really enjoying The Mountain Goats too - great lyrics. So thanks to your recommendations as well! Got a smile off that pimp-daddy sh!t you forwarded the other day too. Yeah, that's just the way I roll, dog. Cassius got my back door and Captain's riding shotgun. Word to Elvis and that momma's boy Omar.

Keepin' it real in the hood, yo.

Marco
Yes, the new Sarah Jarosz cd is quite good. I'm particularly fond of the song "My Muse". I was afraid her sophomore effort might be a let down but it certainly isn't. Hope she has a great musical future ahead of her.
Wow Marco, thanks for the word on Gillian Welch. Didn't know she had one coming out. I'll keep an eye out for a pre release copy. As for Omar, many a Pimp has worn a pony tail. Don't be fooled...he's a bad mofo. Your boys Cassius and Captain do look like muscle so not too much I can say there. I did give E your regards. There is not doubt about his brawn. A true OG Mack Daddy.

On Sara Jaffe...I watched that youtube vid of Clementine you posted and she is a total clone of Laura Marling. Check out some of the live videos on yoututbe of Ms Marling. Every tone, voice inflection, facial expression...it's wild. No doubt Sara Jaffe admires Laura Marling. That chick is brilliant. Maybe a little depressed, but still brilliant. Certainly in my top 5 female artists.

Zoe Muth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqvp27uUQTU&feature=fvst