17 responses Add your response
What an improvement! I can't wait for this to breakin a little. Now I want to mod. everything.
List of parts I changed out:
R1 & R101
R2 & R102
R3 & R103
R9 & R109
R11 & R111
C1 & C101
C5 & C105
C7 & C107
D1 & D2
I used Hovland caps.,metal film 1% resistors,and hexfred diodes.
After a month or so,I will do a second stage mod. The amount of work that can be done to this pre. is endless.
Fantastic, so did you practice a bit with your soldering technique? Was it on a PCB that the Resistors, Caps and Diodes were mounted on? What kind of iron did you use and how did you use a combination of a soldering pump and wick to remove the old solder. Sorry for all the questions but I have considered modding my own CD player which would require large amounts of R&R of various resistors and capacitors.
I have done a fair amount of soldering in the past. It's not very difficult. Make sure you let the solder set a little bit with the heat applied or you will get a cold joint. The local Radio Shack has a 15/30 watt unit that sells for about $10. The solder sucker is about the same.
I bought the parts from someone who does modes. I plan on doing some more in amonth or so.
I didn't look at the type of resistors. I'll check later.
The sound.... Better separation.Blacker backgound. Definatly smoother. I have a couple "brighter sounding" records to play later. Only have a small amount of time to listen this morning.