Wish me luck

Just got a bag full of part. Going to mod. my 834P. Hope it doesn't end up being a boat anchor.

Tim
flemke
Tim,

based on my experience with a modded 834P it will take 200-250 hours for the caps to open up. You're in for a real treat when they do! Did you source the parts yourself or did you buy a package?
Tim, Congrats on your mod work.

What type/brand of metal film resistor did you use? It can make a big difference.

And what types of improvements in sound did you notice?

Dave
Czbbcl
I have done a fair amount of soldering in the past. It's not very difficult. Make sure you let the solder set a little bit with the heat applied or you will get a cold joint. The local Radio Shack has a 15/30 watt unit that sells for about $10. The solder sucker is about the same.

Dan_ed
I bought the parts from someone who does modes. I plan on doing some more in amonth or so.

Salectric
I didn't look at the type of resistors. I'll check later.
The sound.... Better separation.Blacker backgound. Definatly smoother. I have a couple "brighter sounding" records to play later. Only have a small amount of time to listen this morning.

Tim
Mitch Singerman in LA is well known for his EAR 834P mods. I'm sure if you contacted him he'd be glad to discuss the mod package he installs. Hovland caps are part of his package as is a complete re-tube. Mitch is a great resource.
My lp's are sounding better than ever. Getting to 200hrs burn in time. I think a couple more days should get the job done.

Tim