The new NSMT Model 100 Speakers

Hello Audiogoners -

We recently visited Terry London's house (audiogon member "Teajay") to hear the new NSMT model 100 speakers.  We were truly amazed by the sonics of these speakers!  Still while at Terry's house we called the owner of NSMT Loudspeakers, Erol Ricketts to discuss the details of the speaker and possibly becoming a dealer.

Since then, we have become a NSMT dealer and ordered our own pair of Model 100 speakers (due in very soon).

For your reading pleasure, please check out Terry's new review on 6moons about these beautiful sounding speakers.
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/nsmt/

Happy Listening...
Audio Archon - NSMT dealer
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xaudioarchon
I also had the pleasure of hearing these at Teajay's and was extremely impressed!  Excellent tonal balance, an incredible 3D holographic sound stage, and massive bottom end power that blends perfectly.  It's hard to believe that this little tower has it all.  On top of that, the sound is well refined with great detail and never fatiguing, harsh, or in your face.  Great for any genre of music.  I found myself getting lost in the music and having many goose bump moments as I listened to familiar tracks.  The spacious sound had me feeling like I was blissfully swimming in the music.  It's really hard for me to fault them in any way, it should certainly be on the list of affordable end game speakers to check out if you are in the market.  I wish these had been at Capital Audio Fest, I probably would have listened to them all weekend!
Hey stereo5,

True, they do Jazz music in a beautiful fashion.  However, this speaker is no "one trick pony" regarding other genres/types of music.  My guest listeners always bring their own music to audition a new piece of gear in the system.  When hard core rock, blues, or electronic music was played everyone was amazed at not only the gut pounding subterranean bass, but the loading of the room with sub-sonics that pressurized the entire acoustic space.   
I also heard these speakers at Teajay’s Place. They really are wonderful in their ability to transport one to the performance with their amazing imaging. I don’t know how so much sound comes out of these boxes. They are the best speaker I have ever heard over there by far. I heard them with all solid state. Hope to also hear them with tubes sometime.
these will definitely be a classic!
@teajay...………………...

I checked out the web site and those are gorgeous looking speakers.  Hopefully I will see and hear them at one of the audio shows I plan to attend next year.

Is there a piece of felt on top of the big box, under and in front of the little box?  Some pics I've seen don't show it, others do.  Given the placement of the tweeter, seems like it might be a good idea or even indispensable.

Hey twoleftears,

During my reviewing process I experimented numerous times with the felt piece on and off.  My conclusion: If there is a sonic difference it's so slight that in a blind fold test I would be guessing when its on or off.  So, on my pair I leave it on, why not. 
I just had another guest listener over this afternoon for about three hours who wanted to hear the Model 100 loudspeakers.  He is an AudioGon member, but he never posts on any threads, just reads them to gather information and found out about the NSMT speakers because of this thread. He lives near by and asked if he could visit.

To use his term he found the Model 100s "mesmerizing" because of the factors that everyone so far has experienced. First, holographic sound-staging, that encompasses you in the music.  Secondly, the purity/beauty of the colors/tonality in the mid-range.  Thirdly, the sheer overall power of the speaker and the deep and accurate killer bass and how it loads the room with sub-sonics that give you a sense of where the recording was made.  He called them Harbeth speakers with "balls" that does justice to any type of music.

Other than Illinois and, I presume, North Carolina, is there anywhere else that they can be auditioned?
Mike Kay would love to audition the model 100?when they are available, Iam 30 minutes from audioarchon...
I've been living with his PSM monitors for several years and can't say enough good about them. I'd love to hear more of his designs, and love to see him get more attention as a designer.
How efficient are they, and what about the impedance curve? Couldn’t find any tech information In the review or on the manufacturers website
Hey paullb,

The efficiency is 91 dB 1 watt/meter and the minimum impedance is 4 ohms.
Would love to see impedance curves on several of his models. Minimal phase design should look pretty flat. My sense is that mine sit down around 4 Ohms on the low end. I've asked Erol for the details a few times, but he has mentioned some being on a legacy computer system. 
@teajay 

I remember you sharing a post a while back about the model 50 Jamaica speakers. Have you also heard the model 25 Chorus speakers?
Hey t-ramey,

I have reviewed four NSMT models.  However, the Model 25 Chorus is not one of them.  So far, all the different speakers have been superlative at their price points and I would assume this model would follow suite.
I messaged Erol and he said they basically have the detail and imaging of the model 50 Jamaica's but without going as low so probably a sub is needed.
@teajay 

have you compared the Tektons  to the NSMT 100 speaker.  do you feel its a sonic worthwhile upgrade over the Tekton Moabs or  big Ulfberhts , which you reviewed in the past?

the NSMT 100 look to be a well built speaker, and commands more of a premium price over the Tektons.   are they worth the premium price over the Tekton speakers?

I have been to Teajay’s place a number of times and I felt this speaker was much better than the Tekton Ulfs IMHO. The imaging of these speakers is staggering. Almost like a time machine bringing you to where the original performance was conducted. They also are tonally excellent and they seem to check all the boxes!
i still think the Teckton Moab and perfect SETS are incredible bargains. I liked the Moab’s better than the Ulfs even though Teajay disagreed. The perfect  SET is ridiculous for its price. I have not heard the smaller NSMT speakers. Mike Kay have you received your Monitor 100’s yet? It would be interesting to hear them in a different environment!
Audio Archon now has received their demo pair of Model 100 speakers and they are breaking/settling in as we speak.  Mike Kay is experiencing the same superlative and special sound production that I have in my system.  So, if you are in the Chicago land area you could contact Mike and setup an audition to hear for yourself what makes this speaker so special.  

I have had another three guests that did not want to go home after listening to these playing the music they brought with them to audition them with.  Everyone founds them totally engaging on an emotional level that makes the music a beautiful experience.  I still think of them as Harbeth 40.2 with "balls".  If you know what Harbeth's offer regarding color/tonality and imaging, the Model 100 has these qualities with even better dynamics and deep low end extension. From opera to pounding rock these speakers can play it all.   
The NSMT model 100A speakers have arrived in the beautiful Sapele wood finish!  Just getting some hours on them and getting them in the right spot.  Yes, indeed they have the MAGIC that was heard previously at Teajay’s house!

Just for the record...the Harbeth 40.2 ABSOLUTELY HAVE BALLS!!!

Happy New Year!
Audio Archon - NSMT dealer
Stereo Times website list of "MOST WANTED COMPONENTS OF THE DECADE" just went up this morning.  The NSMT Model 100 speakers is on the list for the reasons stated on this thread and original review I did on them last year.
In the last few days I was sent Emails, along with phone conversations with two individuals who recently purchased NSMT 100's and wanted to share their experiences with me.

First, both are enthralled with these speakers, even though they use very different upstream gear.  The details regarding the holographic sound-staging, the startling powerful bass/macro-dynamics, the beautiful tonality, and just the overall enchanting nature of their Model 100's was apparent to the new owners delight!

I encouraged them to write something for this thread, to share this information, to hopefully inform more listeners about this wonderful speaker.  Hope they do.
@teajay, Have the new Model 100 owners who contacted you posted their experiences elsewhere? I’d sure like to read about their opinions and what speakers the 100s replaced. Can you show us where to find their posts? Are their posts on the NSMT website?

After almost 20yrs with my Magnepan 1.6's it was time to move on (mainly due to delaminating).  Thanks to TJ for introducing me to these and an opportunity to listening to them.  I had to the priviliedge to finally own a pair thanks to his kindness.

I'm still gathering my thoughts on what I'm hearing and still trying to lock in placement, pre-amp settings, new power cord etc. so want to hold off on sharing any further feedback right now.  I am enthusiastic on what I'm hearing compared to my Maggies.  It is a different experience and presentation with the 100's which I mean in a very positive way.  The NSMT 100's are a big qualitatvie upgrade that I think will be another 20yrs or more until I need to upgrade.

More feedback to follow....

Yes, Congrats. Interested in your thoughts as well. Always enthused by their high efficiency design and wide band driver use. These 100's are not cheap however. I would also like to hear (read) how they compare with Tektons or even other $10k + speaker options.

Hey rbautista,

I agree with Wig, please share what's going on with your experience of the NSMT 100's performance now that have "dialed" them in.

Teajay

My apologies for the late reply.  Life has been busy and trying to squeeze in time to get everything settled in has been challenging.  I'll follow up with more thoughts later but all I can say is that these speakers are very honest.  The 100's will reveal the weak link upstream. 

I started with swapping out my Don Sachs preamp for my Placette passive.  I really like the Don Sachs but I felt it colored the imaging too much to where it could be called euphonic.   The 100's also helped figure out what tweaks I need to make further upstream which was my Lector Digitube v1 (circa 2009).  This is where I've been spending my time since my last post where I was trying to find the right tube.  I went from 12at7 to 12au7 and settled on 12bh7. (*Shoutout to iCloseouts tubes for helping me find what I was looking for*).  Short answer on that tube journey was due to the efficiency of the 100's compared to the 1.6's.  There was too much gain with the 12at7.

I don't want to make this post about the Lector dac but the 100's has really helped me focus on what needed to by tuned.

For now, all I can say about the 100's is that they are much more efficient, neutral, transparent, musical and dynamic than the Maggie 1.6.  With to the bandpass, I think the soundstage has much more presence.  I've never heard that in my system before.  Music just sounds more "solid".  The 100's have traits of my 1.6's but to a much higher qualitative level (top to bottom).  Never thought I would own a reference pair of speakers.  Props to TJ for helping me out with my new audio journey.

To be continued....

@rbautista 

Thanks for taking the time to update us on your journey and it appears that your NSMTs are settling in nicely 😊

Ron 👍

Still tinkering with the 12bh7 tubes in the Lector dac rotating the output and cathode follower tubes.  Settled on Ratheon in the output and RCA (dimple getter) in the cathode follower.  

Something new to me compared to the Maggie 1.6 is that I am able to hear "through" the speakers with the 100's.  With the Maggies, the soundstage could be described as a giant painting on the wall.  Back then, I thought the soundstage had good depth until the 100's replaced them.  Now the image with the 100's is like looking through a window where the soundstage is past the speakers.  The 100's depth of the soundstage is deeper than the Maggies to where the Maggies could be described as being "flat" if I were to directly compare the 2 speakers. This is what I mean by hearing "through" the speakers.  I can see the speakers but everything is playing behind the 100's almost holographic like.  My soundstage could be much deeper than it already is with the 100's if it weren't for my 65in flat panel tv.  Considering the room situation, the 100's are definitely a huge step up from the 1.6's.  The 1.6s were beautiful sounding and I'm not sure moving up to the 3.7 would have been better than the 100's.  The overall presentation, transparency, dynamics, and PRAT of the music is a qualitative level higher.  Not knocking the Maggies since I did enjoy them all those years but the 100's are a game changer (maybe end game) for me when it comes to my speaker setup.