Speaker Choice for Almarro 318B

Guys, I'm a budding audiophile looking to jump up to tube amps after a few years with an Arcam/B&W integrated combo. I've become smitten with the Almarro 318B integrated tube amp and now I'm in the market for some affordable speakers that will suit the amp better than my B&W DM 602 S3 speakers. The room is approx 14'X 16', hardwood floors with a small area rug, celings are approx 10' high. Speakers will need to be placed close to the wall. I listen to an eclectic mix of music that veers from noise rock to experimental electro acoustic to HEAVY avant metal ala Sunn O))) to more traditional things like PJ Harvey and Radiohead. I'm in need of a good speaker recommendation. I've been looking into Green Mountain Audio Europas, Zu Tones, Gallo Ref 3.1s, and the Omega Super XRS speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? If I had the cash I would get the GMA Callistos based on reputation, or the Zu Druids, but I don't think I even have the space for these speakers. I am leaning toward a used pair of Europas for $650 shipped. Should I take the plunge? Please help! I want a speaker that will be a noticeable step up from my current setup...Will the GMA Europas mix well with the Almarro 318B? Thanks!
mbleming

I guess some of you are wondering,, **why is he reviving this old thread???**

I realized yesterday,  my old curiosity about Coral Beta 8 was never answered,,, til ..

I realized the DavidLouis VX8, VX6 is pretty much The New Coral Beta 8,,and IMHO better.

Like the Phoenix from the eternal fires,  transformed into a  new life form.

Stravinsky;'s Firebird Suite.  Jung's alchemical studies.

What other amplifiers would you suggest for my speakers ? I would really like to experience the SET sound �

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Many of us back then, 2008, wanted to exp a SET amp, But had no access. They were very expensive and very heavy back in the day,,,now much more accessible,,,and I believe PP amps will begin to take 2nd place to SETs. A reassessment, re-adjustment, a re-alignment, if not a Revoltion is starting to take place. Thabks to SET accessibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~SETs rule,,and dont you forget it.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dan4806 posts 08-29-2011 7:35pm Hi There is ONLY one speaker I can warmly recommend to you. Coral Beta 8 inch ir 10 inch. I have a few pairs and never found anything better. Regards Daniel MElbourne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13 years ago. Dan lets us all know, what is the finest speaker for SET amplifiers,,and no one sewemed to pay any attention whatsoever. Coral Beta 8 was the fines speaker for all and every SET amplifier. (other than horns of course). SET amplification is the finest musical power. FR (Full Midrange) is the finest speakerr for all SET amps (other than a horn). Just saying,, just giving updates,, ok now lets reshove FR back under the bus... DavidLouis VX8 and DLVX6 the 2 finest speakers for SET amps, SET amps are the best power for high fidelity musical reproduction.

Jamset: please look at the following companies who make quality tube products: Japan: Luxman N100 or 38, Leben 300,
America: MacIntosh 275 (my father had one for 40 years with no tube failure), Decware (lifetime warranty) Italy: Unico
It is a truly special amp when paired with proper speakers
-

darkmoebius:

I am really interested on your opinions regarding speakers matching with the almarro A318B. I have speakers rating at 102 db sensitivity. Based upon your posts I can conclude that this is too sensitive for this amp? Because the the amp needs to be driven at higher volumes for it to sound best? Am I correct?

What other amplifiers would you suggest for my speakers ? I would really like to experience the SET sound …

Best regards
Jamset.
To connect your sub to the amp, just run a second pair of speaker cables from the amp's speakers outputs to the subs speaker inputs.
Hello I’m a newbie and this is my first post here!
I am considering buying the A318B for a pair of klipsch cornwa III. Anybody has any experience with these speakers?
I too would like to connect a subwoofer to the almarro but I can’t figure out how. My subwoofer has speaker level inputs but no outputs…
Any help or opinions are much appreciated
Reading this you guys are making me miss my Almarro 318A now! Darn.
I wish I never had sold it. Can you believe I sold it to a guy for only $700! It was in perfect shape too. I might have to give it a try again but this time the B version and hook it up to some Zu's. Thanks for the info on the A version Darkmoebius.
I knew you still had the amp. It's that good.
I have never wanted to upgrade my amp. Once I heard the Almarro, I knew I wouldn't be able to do better at anywhere near the price I paid.
OP here...I still have the Almarro 318B and I still love it! I've used three pairs of speakers with the amp, my original B&W speakers (which sounded very good btw), a pair of Almarro M33A (very nice, but didn't suit my listening tastes as well as the Zus) and my current speakers, Zu Essence. The Almarro made all of them sing, but I prefer the Zu speakers out of all three.
08-31-11: Mezzanine
Maybe a little soft sounding. Mine was the A version not like yours the B. Maybe that's why it was a bit soft.
I traded several emails with the owner and designer of all Almarro equipment, Mr. Muramata(sp?) when 318A was a fairly new product. He said the "A" had an intentionally soft top end for Japanese customers who primarily listened to classic jazz on vinyl where there was a lot of background hiss/noise. They had just released the "B" which featured a larger and better output transformer and had more extended frequency range. I was upgraded to the "B" and found it to be a far better amp in all regards.
ZU AUDIO. Great speakers. Any model would be a great match.
I used to have an Almarro 318A. It was nice. I used Proac Signature 2000's with it without any problems. The Proacs are 87db, 8 ohm speakers. The volume went high enough for me. Maybe a little soft sounding. Mine was the A version not like yours the B. Maybe that's why it was a bit soft. The A has no negative feedback. Any 8 ohm 90 db or higher speakers should work good with your Almarro for most situations.
Hi
There is ONLY one speaker I can warmly recommend to you.
Coral Beta 8 inch ir 10 inch.
I have a few pairs and never found anything better.
Regards
Daniel
MElbourne
I have Tekton Design Lore speakers with my Almarro.
At 97db, it sounds incredible.
I had Monitor Audio RS6's at 92db and it sounded very good.
The A318B is a giant killer that has plenty of current and lots of forgiveness.
I found as with most systems, tubes, cables and IC choise will go far in what you get out of the A318B.
JW Audio
07-26-08: Darkmoebius

But, put the A318B on a slightly harder to drive speaker, like my 90dB/4 ohm Jean Marie Reynaud Twins monitors, and it really sang. I think the A318B needs to move a little current to sound it's best and >95dB speakers just don't get it into it's working range where things sound fully fleshed out.

I agree with you wholeheartedly . . . the A318B definately seems to like to be goosed a bit. When doing so over the last few days, I've noticed much greater depth / dimension soundstage wise - "fleshed out", as you say, more or less sums it up best.

Cheers,
Garry
07-25-08: Arkprof
Yes to Darkmoebius ... I used a Bailey sub with the SuperAbbys ... simply loved the sound with the A205A amp, perhaps a bit less so with the 318B, though I much prefer the 318
That's a similar experience to what I heard with the A318B vs A205 on my Double Bens and Abbys. I preferred the A205A.

But, put the A318B on a slightly harder to drive speaker, like my 90dB/4 ohm Jean Marie Reynaud Twins monitors, and it really sang. I think the A318B needs to move a little current to sound it's best and >95dB speakers just don't get it into it's working range where things sound fully fleshed out. With the right speakers, I truly love that amp.

I also think I heard an early prototype of the M33's a couple of years ago at The HiEnd show in LA. They were pretty impressive, definitely to my liking.
After about five long months, I finally took delivery of my Almarro 318B last Saturday. Needless to say, I'm loving it, a great upgrade from my old Arcam amp. I'm still undecided on speakers, but it does sound good (to my ears anyway) with my B&Ws! Let me give a quick plug to Dale and Eugene Hi Fi in Oregon for their OUTSTANDING service. They were great to deal with and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone looking for gear. Now on to finding a better speaker match!
Finally got around to putting the finishing touches on my office rig (see Free Trade Fidelity listed my System) where my Almarro is paired with Aurum Cantus V3Ms and running a REL R305 sub in tandem.

Needless to say that I'm thrilled with the sound ... especially after rolling the input tubes with NOS Mullards. Sound is crystal clear and yet very sweet. Bass, in particular, is quite impressive - tight, quick, and nicely weighted. I was concerned that the ribbon tweeters in the V3Ms might be a bit harsh, but this wasn't the case - just pure detail without any hint of fatigue - I suppose the Mullards contributed mightly here.

10-10:30 on the dial which is plenty loud and I agree with Beragamo that their is no need to rule out the A318B with speakers of moderate efficiency as there seems to be more than sufficient power on hand.

Cheers,
Garry
I've been busy, I'm afraid ... picked up the M33s from AudioMax ... fast, smooth transaction. Yes to Darkmoebius ... I used a Bailey sub with the SuperAbbys ... simply loved the sound with the A205A amp, perhaps a bit less so with the 318B, though I much prefer the 318 ... but I got tired of storing the crates and finally wanted to try something a bit smaller. I had been told that the Cain Wall-o-Sound was worth every penny, and I had also been told that the other Almarro speakers were speakers that deserved much more attention than they receive. My own web-searches led me to believe that the M33A's just might approach what the SuperAbbys could do musically, perhaps in large part because the Almarro's use dual full-range drivers ... and I have to say that even the first notes made it clear that I was going to be happy with these speakers ... and I am. Huge presence, immediate and fast, not at all thin, lots of upper extension and the bass, which I think Almarro pegs at 35Hz, doesn't leave me wishing for more. It probably does do a legit 35Hz. I once had Nautilus 804's and 803's, both of which were criticized for what some felt was "skimpy" bass reproduction (I didn't quite agree but clearly understood), but these Almarro's offer sufficient bass, much more enjoyable than what the B&W's offered, and everything is enhanced by the full-range driver effect (the M33A's) ... continuity, integration yet great definition and detail. Since these are dual full-rangers without a crossover, they're very much like single-driver speakers. I think I bought the last pair that AudioMax had at that time. Odds are high that I'll be selling them soon, as well as the Almarro, but only because I've got my eyes on another motorcycle that's going to require some serious dollars.
Hi,I use a pair of 88db Devore Gibbons 8'S with the 318b with no problems.This amp seems to have a lot more power than it's 18 watt rating,imho.I would not rule some 88db spk's out.KPB
Also, where did you purchase them from? I've seen them at audiomax-ltd.com, but that's the only US store I've seen them listed. I would like a pair and I'm wondering where I can find them and how much they'll set me back.

I got my A318B from Brian Bowdle of Venus HiFi. Nothing but the highest praise for him, really focuses on customer service. He's got a lot of experience with the entire Almarro line of products.
Arkprof

Hi, just saw your post about your new Almarro M33a speakers....been looking at those myself, for my own 318B. Just wondering what your impressions are so far. Also, where did you purchase them from? I've seen them at audiomax-ltd.com, but that's the only US store I've seen them listed. I would like a pair and I'm wondering where I can find them and how much they'll set me back.
thanks!
Michael
Congrats Arkprof, that's a nice combo.
I no longer miss my SuperCains/Abbey
Unless they are used in a fairly small room, I've always felt the Abbys need the Bailey subwoofer to sound fleshed out.
So, I just picked up a set of Almarro M33A speakers ... powered by my 318B ... simply wonderful, great extension, no need for a sub, and powerfully immediate and engaging ... just as any good crossover-less speaker should be ... I no longer miss my SuperCains/Abbey
Yes, Proghead, you know what I'm talking about! Listening to 00 Void as I type this!
Sunn o)))) ?!?!?! Maximum Volume yields Maximum results!!!!!
:) you know what i am talking about!
I once waited a bit more than 4 months to get a Lector CD player ... a very frustrating experience. Good luck!
Yes, I've looked at the WLM line and LOVE what I see, but they're out of my price range by quite a bit. I've also twice emailed their US distributor about price and possible used/demo products to no reply...
WLM austrian company using this amp with their range of speakers as a best choice along Red Wine audio amp 30.2.I just heard both amps on hifi show in Prague today and spent most time in their room.No headaches like in other rooms,no fatique.
Yeah, I am mostly Jazz/folk/blues/orchestral.... some rock though.

I checked the prices on the Sequerra MK6...there seems to be a retailer for the Sequerra stuff who lists the price at $1500 per pair.

Then I go to Dick's own website and it lists factory direct prices as being $850 per pair. That's a big difference! Wonder what the deal is????

If you go used, I would get a Sequerra MK4 ...the MK5 (also on Dick's website seems to have a different driver...but then he looks to have gone back to the old driver for the MK6.

Mostly what you see used is the MK 1 or MK2...kind of old and ugly with the Grills on the front. the MK4/5/6 have no grills on the design.
At low to moderate volume, that amp is winner and should be fine with 89 dB speakers IF they have a relatively high and flat impedence curve. If you ever want more ooomph, you can go high eff. The Sequerras will not "knock you out" at first listen, but they have no flaws beyond their limited bass extension. The image well and have are detailed w/o being analytical. No idea how they would deal with your kind of music, I'm more a blues/singer-songwriter/folk/bluegrass kind of guy.
Swampwalker, thanks for info, I will keep that in mind. My ceilings are pretty high, but its a duplex apartment and I rarely crank the speakers to concert level volume...most listening is low to mid range with an occasional crank on the weekends :)
Mb- Your room is moderate sized w/high ceilings. Not ideal for a lower powered tube amp, but with plenty of current from those 6cc3b tubes, you may be OK at 89-90 dB/w/1m. If you can find a used pair of the Sequerras you will never have a problem selling them. Mine went to a guy in Europe who was happy to pay the cost of air-freighting them from U.S. In fact, if you go with the Sequerras and don't like them, I'll buy them! For a sub hook-up w/o sub or additional main output, you will need to run from speaker output on integrated to speaker or high level input on sub, and then from the speaker/high level out on the sub to the speakers. You would use the high pass filter on the sub to filter out the mid-bass. YOu will want a sub with adjustable crossover and phase angle to make matching it up to the mains easier.
As a noob that's kind of what I've fallen into, judging by sensitivity above all else, really. There are so many variables, speaker types, etc, that it's all a little overwhelming, but interesting (and fun as well)! It's been explained to me a little bit, but I'm still not sure how to correctly connect a subwoofer with an integrated like the 318B...I figured a sub would be a no go as the amp has no dedicated sub out, but again I'm basically clueless about this stuff. Do you compromise the sound of an low wattage integrated by rigging a sub to it?
Oh and one more thing... The Sequerra's (I think) are rated at 89db sensitive. That really shouldn't matter though.. I used mine with a Sofia Electric Music Baby which only puts out 10 watts and it drives them just fine. The Almarro has more watts and by all accounts lacks no power reserve... I think you'll have to be careful judging by sensitivity alone.
Yeah, I use my Sequerra Mk4s with an ACI force XL sub. It took some fine tuning to get it right (I underestimated the difficulty of mating the sub with monitors) using an SPL meter, but I think it sounds pretty nice now. Getting placement and phase right is critical.
The Sequerra Met 7s would be a great match. I had a pair of the 7.7 Mk 4 or 5s. The only piece(s) I ever regret selling. And yes, with high level inputs you could add a sub if you wanted to.
Have a listen to Oris 150's If you can, they are sometimes on Audiogon and are cheap when they are, being a horn speaker they are a perfect match for tube amps. They will give you all the quality you will need quietly or if you want to crank It up. 'Creep' sounds awesome, Its a track (of many) that I love to listen to at ear splitting level, when I'm in a mood for some loudness (and to get my own back on the neighbor with his ruddy old school rock that he pumps out).lol.
Seriously for the money they take some beating.
Thanks for the suggestion Issabre, I'm still awaiting my Almarro and I'm open to all ideas and enjoy having my eyes opened to all speaker possibilities.
I think that you'd be surprised if you heard the Sequerra MET 7.7 mk 6. Tellig reviewed in Sterophile not long ago. It's a design that's been around for many many years...and for that reason, I think its fallen off the radar of many of the present audiophiles...not as sexy as some of the newer desings. But I just keep listening to all sorts of monitors (you know that audiophile need to make a change every once in awhile for no reason whatsoever)...and I just can't find anything that tops my MK 4's .... So I've given up the idea of owning anything but Sequerra monitors...now I'm going to buy the MK6 (a little bigger and a little deeper). And for $850 I think they are cheaper than most of the competition.

BTW...I want an Almarro 318B...which is why I'm in this thread. T
Mbleming,

You can easily use subs with the A318B, I did. All you need is a subwoofer equalizer or sub amp that allows speaker-level inputs.

I use a Paradigm X-20 Subwoofer Control Unit. It allows both line-level and speaker-level inputs. So, I just run two sets of speaker cables - one to my main speakers, the other to the X-20 and out to the subwoofer.

If I remember correctly, the speaker level inputs of most x-overs simply have a -6dB or -10dB voltage divider in the line - really just resistors.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that if you have any woodworking skills or know a cabinet maker, you really should look into the $650 [url=http://www.hammerdynamics.com/]Hammer Dynamics Super-12[/url]'s kit. All you really need is 2 pieces of 4'x8' plywood.

But, don't let it's price and simply construction fool you, these speakers are awesome. With some [url=http://melhuish.org/audio/super12.html]simple modifications[/url] listed here, you can take them up to an amazingly high level of performance for very little total money.

I have them and they are really fantastic, even in comparison to my expensive Cain & Cain IM-Bens.
I have the 318B and just ordered a pair of the Hornshoppe Horns (www.hornshoppe.com). The price is $850 delivered from Ed Shilling who makes them.

They have gotten good reviews on 6moons and other sites. Srajan at 6moons also thought the Horns and the 318B would be a good match when I emailed him.

I auditioned them a few weeks and was smitten. I think that for the money, you would be hard pressed to beat them. I did alot of research first.

Depending on your room and listening habits, you may or may not want a sub. I heard them with and without. As I already had a sub, it was not an issue.
It is not necessary to use a sub as I am getting down into the low 30's in my room(14x17 with 9.5 ceilings) and that is tight fast quality bass! You should be able to pick up a pair of the De Capo's for around 1000$ I actually had to put some bass traps in the corners I was getting so much. Sean
Actually, my budget will be able to handle more than $100, but I'd like to stay under $3000...The Almarro has no dedicated output for a sub, so I'm guessing I can't supplement the lack of bass on some of these speakers? I'm new to this sorry!
If your budget must stay below $1000.00 then it's going to be hard to fill that order. You could get a pair of Decware MG 94s and maybe add a sub or look into what AV 123 has to offer. 18 watts will drive 90db speakers plenty loud as long as their impedance curve is pretty benign. Later on, if you decide that SET is the way for you. You could sell the B&Ws and whatever speaker you purchase now and look into much better speakers for that amp.
Sean34, actually I've looked closely at those and they are on my list...just need to narrow it down :) I have time though as the amp won't be here for 3-4 months!