Speaker Choice for Almarro 318B

Guys, I'm a budding audiophile looking to jump up to tube amps after a few years with an Arcam/B&W integrated combo. I've become smitten with the Almarro 318B integrated tube amp and now I'm in the market for some affordable speakers that will suit the amp better than my B&W DM 602 S3 speakers. The room is approx 14'X 16', hardwood floors with a small area rug, celings are approx 10' high. Speakers will need to be placed close to the wall. I listen to an eclectic mix of music that veers from noise rock to experimental electro acoustic to HEAVY avant metal ala Sunn O))) to more traditional things like PJ Harvey and Radiohead. I'm in need of a good speaker recommendation. I've been looking into Green Mountain Audio Europas, Zu Tones, Gallo Ref 3.1s, and the Omega Super XRS speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? If I had the cash I would get the GMA Callistos based on reputation, or the Zu Druids, but I don't think I even have the space for these speakers. I am leaning toward a used pair of Europas for $650 shipped. Should I take the plunge? Please help! I want a speaker that will be a noticeable step up from my current setup...Will the GMA Europas mix well with the Almarro 318B? Thanks!
mbleming
Bongofury,

Good information you've provided.

One area that I slightly disagree - your admonition re: 6Moons. In my case, no doubt that some items reviewed on 6Moons affected my decision to subsequently purchase these same items (Minimax and Raysonic CDPs, Zu Tones, and Micropure Kotaros) simply by exposure to their availability. These products must be competitive and won't survive on hype alone . . . especially so here in Hong Kong, wherein lay virtually the entire gamut of HiFi to sample. Some of my purchases/orders actually predated the reviews on 6Moons (Yamamoto H/P amp, Almarro A318B, & REL subs). Perhaps it's a case of gravitating towards the same sound / design - who knows?

It seems quite clear that they've a fairly good track record for picking quality products which also represent extremely good VFM. In fact, both the Project and Sony sources you've recommended where given very favourable reviews on 6Moons as well.

Accordingly, if one's tastes are congruent with those of a partcular group or site; then, in my book, this would help diminish the likelihood of costly mistakes over time.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Garry
MBLeming, the Reference 3a De Capo is a match made in heaven for you. I listen to a lot of the music you were talking about...the De Capo's are very fast with very good bass, they image very well and have a fantastic midrange. I think the Almarro 318b is a perfect marriage as a lot of the people over at the owners circle for Reference 3a at audiocircle.com will attest to!
Sean34, actually I've looked closely at those and they are on my list...just need to narrow it down :) I have time though as the amp won't be here for 3-4 months!
If your budget must stay below $1000.00 then it's going to be hard to fill that order. You could get a pair of Decware MG 94s and maybe add a sub or look into what AV 123 has to offer. 18 watts will drive 90db speakers plenty loud as long as their impedance curve is pretty benign. Later on, if you decide that SET is the way for you. You could sell the B&Ws and whatever speaker you purchase now and look into much better speakers for that amp.
Actually, my budget will be able to handle more than $100, but I'd like to stay under $3000...The Almarro has no dedicated output for a sub, so I'm guessing I can't supplement the lack of bass on some of these speakers? I'm new to this sorry!