Speaker Choice for Almarro 318B

Guys, I'm a budding audiophile looking to jump up to tube amps after a few years with an Arcam/B&W integrated combo. I've become smitten with the Almarro 318B integrated tube amp and now I'm in the market for some affordable speakers that will suit the amp better than my B&W DM 602 S3 speakers. The room is approx 14'X 16', hardwood floors with a small area rug, celings are approx 10' high. Speakers will need to be placed close to the wall. I listen to an eclectic mix of music that veers from noise rock to experimental electro acoustic to HEAVY avant metal ala Sunn O))) to more traditional things like PJ Harvey and Radiohead. I'm in need of a good speaker recommendation. I've been looking into Green Mountain Audio Europas, Zu Tones, Gallo Ref 3.1s, and the Omega Super XRS speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? If I had the cash I would get the GMA Callistos based on reputation, or the Zu Druids, but I don't think I even have the space for these speakers. I am leaning toward a used pair of Europas for $650 shipped. Should I take the plunge? Please help! I want a speaker that will be a noticeable step up from my current setup...Will the GMA Europas mix well with the Almarro 318B? Thanks!
mbleming
As a noob that's kind of what I've fallen into, judging by sensitivity above all else, really. There are so many variables, speaker types, etc, that it's all a little overwhelming, but interesting (and fun as well)! It's been explained to me a little bit, but I'm still not sure how to correctly connect a subwoofer with an integrated like the 318B...I figured a sub would be a no go as the amp has no dedicated sub out, but again I'm basically clueless about this stuff. Do you compromise the sound of an low wattage integrated by rigging a sub to it?
Mb- Your room is moderate sized w/high ceilings. Not ideal for a lower powered tube amp, but with plenty of current from those 6cc3b tubes, you may be OK at 89-90 dB/w/1m. If you can find a used pair of the Sequerras you will never have a problem selling them. Mine went to a guy in Europe who was happy to pay the cost of air-freighting them from U.S. In fact, if you go with the Sequerras and don't like them, I'll buy them! For a sub hook-up w/o sub or additional main output, you will need to run from speaker output on integrated to speaker or high level input on sub, and then from the speaker/high level out on the sub to the speakers. You would use the high pass filter on the sub to filter out the mid-bass. YOu will want a sub with adjustable crossover and phase angle to make matching it up to the mains easier.
Swampwalker, thanks for info, I will keep that in mind. My ceilings are pretty high, but its a duplex apartment and I rarely crank the speakers to concert level volume...most listening is low to mid range with an occasional crank on the weekends :)
At low to moderate volume, that amp is winner and should be fine with 89 dB speakers IF they have a relatively high and flat impedence curve. If you ever want more ooomph, you can go high eff. The Sequerras will not "knock you out" at first listen, but they have no flaws beyond their limited bass extension. The image well and have are detailed w/o being analytical. No idea how they would deal with your kind of music, I'm more a blues/singer-songwriter/folk/bluegrass kind of guy.
Yeah, I am mostly Jazz/folk/blues/orchestral.... some rock though.

I checked the prices on the Sequerra MK6...there seems to be a retailer for the Sequerra stuff who lists the price at $1500 per pair.

Then I go to Dick's own website and it lists factory direct prices as being $850 per pair. That's a big difference! Wonder what the deal is????

If you go used, I would get a Sequerra MK4 ...the MK5 (also on Dick's website seems to have a different driver...but then he looks to have gone back to the old driver for the MK6.

Mostly what you see used is the MK 1 or MK2...kind of old and ugly with the Grills on the front. the MK4/5/6 have no grills on the design.