Lunim T2 vs Cary Audio DMS 600

Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

I currently am looking to upgrade to a quality streamer/DAC combo and after a few months of research have pretty much narrowed it down to the above units which I intend on demoing.  I am interested in internet radio, Roon, and Tidal (as well as my own music on my NAS).  I have a full McIntosh system and am going to list my Media Bridge shortly.  I would like to keep my budget in the $4000-$6000 range, but closer to $4000 now if possible.  I am wondering what thoughts/experiences fellow members may have.  Thanks.
spipa
And how would you compare them? Been hearing raves about the new Lumin T2 but very little on the Cary. Your experience on their relative strengths and weaknesses would be helpful to share. TIA!
The Lumin based on great sound, reliability and more importantly support. Peter Lie is available on multiple forums daily to help with software and support issues. 
Lumin super sound quality, great definition, rock solid reliability super customer service fantastic app.

New T2 can also be used as a USB transport to allow for future dacs a very cool addition. 

Cary good sound very flexible, sonically not as amazing as the Lumin T2 which has better soundstaging and more presence.

Winner Lumin T2.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Lumin and Cary dealers
I have a DMS 600 and sold a T2   All depends on the rest of your system. The T2 can sound fantastic with the right electronics and cabling   I have Persona 5 f speakers  which are more on the detailed or brighter side of neutral. The T2 would sound great on 7 out of 10 songs but would get grating after extended listening systems .
The Cary is perfect for my system. Detailed but smooth and always listenable with fantastic low end   The Cary does not need a pre amp as its 3 volt output drives a pair of Kismet Monoblocks beautifully where the Lumin will need a pre to sound it’s best. The Lumin app is much more user friendly. Cary is Roon ready
the Cary has an integrated SD card reader which sounds pretty fantastic. The Cary’s list is 6900 ( can be bought for much less)vs 4500 for the Lumin. The Cary has many more features and really doesn’t need a pre to shine so to me the Cary is a one box wonder (28 lbs) while the Lumin Needs a pre and a additional set of cables to be at its best. The Cary has additional digital inputs for CD players or cable boxes. So again can be used as a high end digital preamp. The Cary’s display is full color w/art work if that’s important to you. T2 can really sound great in the right system but the Cary is much more forgiving overall   It’s Sabre Vs AKM chipsets   Even though the  there’s more to the sound that the chips they certainly have a certain flavor 
You can buy the Cary with a trial period but you will pay considerably more. Maybe AudioTroy can hook you up for demos
The Lumin may sound better off the bat but really need extended listening with all types of music. Good luck with your purchase. Both great players but really different sounding players and feature sets. 
I had both units and Benzman is correct on several things. I had the Lumin T2 first and sold it and bought the Cary DMS600. Since I was listening to tube amplifiers and a tube preamp, the Cary matched up well with the setup. The AKM sound smoother with slightly fuller bass while the Sabre sound brighter with maybe a bit more detail. The AKM can process the digital sampling rate from 44.1 kHz to 768 kHz while the Sabre dac processes 44.1–384 kHz. The Cary has much more flexibility plus you can use your CD Player as a transport and connect into the Cary to take advantage of the DAC’s built into the unit. It all depends on what sound you’re looking for. Both units are upgradable with their firmware. The Lumin software posed a bit of a problem but there IT was pretty good. I haven’t had any issues with the Cary thus far. It has been excellent. Both pieces are well built. For me, I love that I can use a phone (Android or an iPhone), a computer, or a tablet to control the Cary. What you saw on the screen of the Cary unit is what you saw on the hand device. Also connecting to a Roon Nucleus was very easy and convenient especially for ripping. I hope that helps.
Enjoy the music
When I had a Lumin a couple of years ago, I couldn't get the app to work worth a damn on Android devices.  Have they got that fixed?
The Lumin app is made available for Android devices but its interface and functionality are still noticeably better on iOS devices.
I know this is not what you were looking for, but I used to own the previous versions of them both, the Lumin T1 and Cary DMS-500. I had them in my system at the same time for a month or so. I much preferred Cary than Lumin, and not simply because of functionality and looks. SQ too. My kind of sound. This is just one man's opinion, and needless to say depends on own preferences and rest of the system
I would compare the Cary DMS600 to the Lumin X1 their top of the line unit. The Lumin X1 cost almost twice as much as the Cary unit. The Lumin X1 has a digital sampling rate from 44.1 kHz to 768 kHz. That’s comparable to the Cary DMS600 which has the same rate. The Lumin T2 (current unit) and the T1 (the older model) is comparable to the Cary DMS550 (current unit) or the DMS500 (the older model). The Cary DMS600 is $6,999.00 & the Lumin X1 is $13,990.00. Both great choices but I went with the Cary DMS600 because of the warm sound that works well with my tube preamp and the monoblock tubes. Not dismissing the Lumin T2 or the great X1. My choice wasn’t based on price. It was based on what works for my system and how I access the application. For example, I have over 40K invested in my turntable. My cartridge alone cost more than my Cary DMS600. I’m just being honest and and this was a choice for me. Make sure it is a solid choice for you.

Enjoy the music
Wow, lot's of unbiased folks with actual ownership or demo experience of both picking Cary over Lumin.
Sounds like it is system dependent.  I have the Lumin T2 and really like it.  Big improvement coming from streaming from my computer.  There are times when the Lumin can sound a little bright or harsh, but I think it is more due to the recording, than the Lumin.  Most recordings  sound very dynamic with a big soundstage.
I have only recently read these glowing reports of the Cary Audio 600 DMS, but there are no dealers in my state that carry (no pun intended) that unit in order compare it with.  The Cary Audio web site shows the list price is $7,0000, which is more than the Lumin T2 list price of $4,500.  I did notice that the web site states they are out of stock currently.
bwguy52 posts04-30-2020 3:00pm I have the Lumin T2 and really like it.  Big improvement coming from streaming from my computer.
Of course it will be big improvement coming from streaming from a computer. Were you using your computer as a DAC too before Lumin T2?

As for Cary Direct pricing, they area always on "special" typically 40% when selling direct. So the DMS-600 would (and has been) be roughly $4,197
Good to know about the sale pricing, but website does not currently list it on sale.

I previously used the DAC in my Classe Sigma SSP.
@bwguy --- because it is out of stock! check the rest of the digital sources:

https://carydirect.com/shop-now/digital-sources.html

Can you notice a pattern on pricing? ;-)
I just talked to the sales department there. Apparently they are out of stock and no plans to manufacture any more due to supply issues.  What is your thought on the 550?
About DMS-550? I don't know. I used to have the DMS-500, the version before the 550. To my ears, the 500 was better than the Lumin T1 I had at that time, at the same time. That was a couple of years ago. I have never hear the 550, the 600, or the T2.
Someone above said the T2 can sound a little bright on some music. That is telling me that the T2 faithfully reproduces what is streaming. Also, streaming services can have variations due to mastering versions, etc. I'm an overseas Qobuz subscriber. Qobuz has all the main releases. However, Qobuz also has many of those EU Public Domaine issues (Waxtime, etc). In fact there can be as manay as 20 versions of an LP.