Best SET power amp below $5,000

Curious to get the benefit of the knowledge in this forum.

I currently have a low power SET amp, paired with 94db loudspeakers. Sounds great, but tbh, I bought it 20 years ago, and even then, my process was not particularly thoughtful.

Not trying to start an argument about push-pull vs SET. Though I am not an electrician or sound engineer, my instinct is that a simpler circuit is better. At this point, I am just interested in what folks here think are the best options for SET amps—in the $5,000 price range. I am also open to the feedback that the price range is too limiting.

I am open to new or used and given the many years that vacuum tubes have been used for this purpose, curious if there is any technology advantage in newer products, holding their condition constant (ie comparing a 1950s era SET amp to a 2022 design, both in mint condition).

saulh

My speakers are same-ish sensitivity, and I am extremely pleased with my Whammerdyne DGA-1 stereo amp. 4.3 watts (handling peaks of up to 10 watts) of 2A3 tube wonderfulness. Plays plenty loud enough for me. Transparent, yet still full-sounding. Balanced freq range top to bottom with superb mid-range/vocals.

https://whammerdyne.com/product/damn-good-amp-dga-1/

I have a Dennis Had Universal SET, the Aric Audio Super 300B SET, and an Arte Forma Aida 2A3 amp.  I thought I was in heaven with the Aric Audio Super 300B SET but there is something about the 2A3 tube sound that has kept me coming back to that Arte Forma Aida 2A3.  if your speakers truly are 94dB efficient, and you don't listen much beyond 80-85 dB, and think you can live with 3ish fabulous watts then I suggest you look into 2A3 amps.  The tubes you use are important and the easiest choice would be the JJ 2A3-40's but NOS RCA and Sylvania tubes are also fabulous.

I currently have a low power SET amp, paired with 94db loudspeakers.

What is the make and model of your SET amp and speakers?

I don't know of many under $5,000 SET amps, except the Elekit 300b amps.  It comes either assembled or as a kit.  I saw the instructions to the kit and the instructions are quite good and clear so I think anyone can build it if they have a little bit of experience with soldering, stripping wire, etc.  I like the sound of that amp even though I am generally not a 300b fan.  

I like low-powered tube amps, including SET amps.  I own a pair of Audio Note Kageki (parallel SET using 2a3 tubes).  But, many of my favorite low-powered tube amps are of the pushpull variety.  If I were in the market for really nice low-powered amps, I would be looking at 6L6 or KT66 or EL84 pushpull amps as well as SET amps.

@saulh 

I'm not trying to be cynical or argumentative, but to what 2022 designs are you referring? One way or another, current tube amps' designs are based on 1930 - early 1960 designs. Components may be upgraded, but the designs are hardly space age. And in the end, many still look for throwbacks, especially for tubes.

For about $5000, you can get a new Cary 300SEI SET running 300Bs. And as previously pointed out, Dennis Had who designed this amp when he was at Cary, has a line of SET amps for under $5000.

Audion has several SETs "around" your price point. The Elekits get good reviews are are relatively inexpensive.

I am down to one SET that is specifically matched to the speakers it powers. The rest of my amps are PP and are more interchangeable with other speakers allowing me to "adjust" the sound a bit.

What don't t you like about the sound you have?

curious if there is any technology advantage in newer products, holding their condition constant (ie comparing a 1950s era SET amp to a 2022 design, both in mint condition).

+1

The original was $6K(?) in early 2000, Now the Art Audio PX25 MK2 is $16K!

Like @larryi , there are very nice, if properly designed, push pull amps out there.  I'm using decware, which you have to buy on the secondary market if you don't want an 18 month wait.  I had an SE34I.5 which was excellent SET.  I upgraded to their ZMA, a push pull amp that is hard to distinguish sonicly from an SET.  Very happy with it.  While it can provide more power, the magic still happens in the first watt.  Stay away from the mass produced push pull amps. 

Low power SET amps are among the oldest circuit designs, with little new ground broken other than new cases, perhaps better choices of parts and sometimes less ideal tubes used as more common ideal tubes have their good old stocks used up be expensive to supply. So I certainly wouldn’t think aboit newer versus older too much, focus more on the quality of the company or person making the amp.   Older amps can have some caps get old and need some servicing to play music well.

Go to Amazon, search: single ended 300b 805 845 amplifier, and select display as highest priced first.

There really has been no new development in SET design or components in the past 20 years, so, if you are thinking that a new model will embody better technology, that is NOT the case.  If you factor in inflation, you might in fact be moving in the wrong direction.  SET amps are very simple in design, but, that does not mean they are cheaper to build because they put very heavy demand on the build of the output transformer.  That is the most expensive part of any amp, and with SET amps, the transformer must be of special design, quite large, and well built.  This means that a good SET amp is not cheap.  

I've heard the PX25 and it is a pretty good amp.  I doubt that you can do better at anything near $5,000.  If you are willing to at good pushpull amps at an expanded price range, you might find something worth investing in, but, you need to find dealers who will lend you gear to try at home to really know what will work for you.  In moving above the PX25 level, you need that kind of service or you need to be willing to gamble.

Nothing wrong with your present amp, although any electrolytic caps may be due for changing out, I previously owned Art Audio SET.

Yeah, these designs tried and true, in some cases parts quality has gone up. At present I have custom built 300B SET monoblocks and Coincident 845 Turbo. With custom build you can do spec build such as I did with OCC silver wired output transformers and internal wiring, massive power supplies, and at relatively lower price vs. off the shelf. Some other SET manufacturers I like include Aric, Dennis Had(previously owned Cary amp), Audio Mirror, Line Magnetic, sure other's I'm forgetting.

I'd also carefully consider which output tube to run with 94db sensitivity, I'd guess your at low end of scale with present PX25, may be interesting to try more powerful output tube such as 300B or even 845 tubes, 845 will likely give massive impact, dynamics with present speakers vs PX25

I'd never heard of PX-25.  So I read a review.

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/artaudiopx25.htm

Sounds like a keeper to me.  If you just  have a couple of thousand to spend.  (New amp minus reselling the old one)  you might consider just a cap upgrade.  Finding a reliable tech might be difficult but probably not impossible.  As long as you have access to new tubes I would think you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding amp in that price range,  different but probably not better.

@mwjones it sounds amazing, but it's the first tube amp I ever bought, so it may be a grass/greener thing, but I want to see if there is anything else out there, even if I never sell the PX25.

If you’re in no hurry (up to a 2 year wait) Decware is releasing a new 300B amp that according to the owner/builder is supposed to be pretty darn special. I haven’t seen a price yet but should be in that $5000 range.

(Note) if you want to dump your PX-25 at a good price hit me up 😁

Lots of good ideas posted on this thread.

However, I think if you follow the link to Whammerdyne website and read what they have to say about their SET amps you'll find that their are designers who are not simply recycling older designs.

And, having read much of the thread on the Decware forum about their upcoming 300B amp it sounds like it, also will be pretty killer.

I also think there's a lot to be said for something like an amp from Aric Audio. I love the looks of his equipment and have read nothing but positive comments about his gear. Haven't heard them, but what I read "ticks all the right boxes".

I'm sure there are some good options out there in your price range. Have fun hunting for them.

There is a lot to like about companies like Decware--they are generous with sharing designs and engaging with their customers, their construction is pretty solid, and prices are quite reasonable. But, the two amps of theirs that I heard I simply did not like--they sounded a bit lifeless and lacking in body.  One must hear each candidate, or have the ability to either get out of a deal or accept some loss in trading (not much of problem with Decware because it appears to retain value) if you don't get to audition the gear. 

This is the case with any amps, but, I think SET amps are particularly sensitive as to specific use because of their low power output and their typically quite high output impedance (meaning that they often don't work well with low impedance speakers).  

Any SET amplifier you buy should have adjustable negative feedback as that greatly helps in getting the best sound out of different speakers.

I am really over SETs that have fixed zero negative feedback.And many of the most expensive ones are like that.They tend just to be a  fixed tone control.

I owned an Almarro 318B that was  very well balanced sounding SET and could drive many mainstream speakers.It had a moderate amount of negative feedback to assist in that regard.I had a variable negative feedback control installed and that really helped on certain speakers.I mostly preferred it with a bit less feedback but never with zero.

I owned an Almarro 318B that was  very well balanced sounding SET and could drive many mainstream speakers.It had a moderate amount of negative feedback to assist in that regard.I had a variable negative feedback control installed and that really helped on certain speakers.I mostly preferred it with a bit less feedback but never with zero.

This is a perfect example for why with regard to High End audio it will forever be, YMMV and  “horses for courses”.  It can’t be any other way because by default it is purely subjective (Which is good, no absolutes etched in stone). I have a different opinion, I believe that the less NFB , the more natural the sound quality. So for me a zero NFB well implemented amplifier will sound better.

I concede that it limits choice of speakers, thus less flexibility, a trade off I readily accept. No doubt others will prefer differently, as would be expected given the innate subjective nature of it all. Zero NFB amplifier matched with a compatible speaker will provide truly superb and natural/authentic sound. It just depends on what one is seeking. No right or wrong.

Charles

How about Line Magnetic 508(805 is current version) to drive main tower of Scaena 3.2 (93db).

But please note that I am using active crossover to do bi amping.

Thus Scaena main tower covers 290 hz up

Thomas

A recent review form the HIFI Cave about a super rectifier add on really intrigued me.  I've rolled rectifiers and they significantly shaped the sound so his review has credence with me.

iFi Cave review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ldwtuyWLq0&ab_channel=HifiCave

What I found is that Space Labs makes a 300b SET amp with a super rectifier built in.  http://www.thebestamp.com/Single-Ended_Tube_Amps/IA-300B-STR.php

This might be one of those technological advancements you were seeking and it's in the price range.