Anyone have/ordered the Job 225?

There's almost no consumer impressions of this amp on the internet... but the 6moons review is intriguing.
girlsgeneration
Glory,

So glad that you are happy. I'd love your feedback on the planned mods. This little Job is amazing, and for the money, stellar! Thank you for validating my findings. I love mine.
Wow Gary, let us know what the mods bring! How do you clamp down the silver ribbon wire to the Stage 3 wire?

D-Boy, those are not my impression, rather I relay what i heard. I have not yet heard the Job, but know the quality. I could have gooten a loaner unit this week, but my system is all packed up waiting on a house move.
Drill holes for the internal wire to run outside the unit and use the cheap speaker posts as a clamp for the ribbons/wire.
AM fuse in. Those with Job amps must change out fuse :)

A very nice change for the better.
Glory, the consensus is that SR Quantum fuse and the AudioMagice liquid Nano fuses give the biggest impact.
You guys might want to check this out:

http://www.10audio.com/audio-horizons_platinum-ref-fuses.htm

It's the new fuses from Audio Horizons. Expensive, but supposed to be outstanding. I know everything is system-dependant but supposedly better than the Liquid Nano (which Joeinid likes so much). Joe, you may want to look into this fuse as well!

I replaced the stock fuses in my Metrum DAC and Job 225 with Synergistic's fuses and the improvement was exceptional. Lower noise floor,more expansive soundstage (wide and depth), more detail, etc.
My only regret is I didn't to it sooner.
Hate to nitpick but the Audio Magic Liquid Nano fuse was replaced by the Super Fuse last year. I have the Super Fuse and it is very good. One wonders if there will ever be anyone willing to roll up his sleeves and evaluate the best four or five aftermarket fuses...hmmmm
Hi Guys,

Two quick questions about JOB.

1. Is your JOB straight? My Wobbles on 3 feet on level surface (it does not wobble but when you press on one of corners it will transfer the mass indicating that it is not straight and that one feet is slightly hanging in air).

Could you try yours and let me know?

2. When I am very close to (5-10cm or 2-4 inches) I can hear a faint but present buzzing or vibration. When I put my ear against the top cover of it it becomes very apparent. I suspect it is a transformer inside but I cannot really tell as I am not an expert.

Could you bring you ear to the top cover and tell me if you hear anything? (when music is not playing ofc.

Finally my job had 0 run so far so I dont know if I will hear any buzzing through the speakers or not when in operation.

Cheers,
seb
No buzz. No sound. No distortion. No color.

Listen the Sweetcord is a good cable but I will tell you putting a Stage. 3 or better yet a Dynamic Design Heritage AC cable on it will make you very happy. You can get the DD Heritage for $900.00 as I did and it transformed the amp into a liquid - full images and dynamic sounding amp that goes way beyond the Sweetpee cable. Are you listening to me boys and girls??
$900.00 and your little Job 225 will eat those big A$$ $20K amps :)
Sebna, My Job currently rests on brass points so I cannot tell if it wobbles but don't remember it ever doing that when I took it out of the box. Regarding the buzz, yes my Job makes a VERY faint buzzing but it's heard only when I literally put my ear on the faceplate. Only transformer hum, not to worry.

Glory, LOL on the "Sweetpee". I'm sure that Heritage cord takes your 225 to the next level. I know I heard a wonderful improvement when going to my Synergistic Element Tungsten.
Yes Devil I was taken back by a HE AC cable the the little guy. He now sounds like a $20K amp.

Got him up on Sistrum Sp-1 stands. No noise from him no not even a peep.
G,

You still plan on modding the Job, or will you wait for the monoblocs (year end)?
When I heard the JOB 225, it had no warm up and probably wasn't broken in enough. It had enough power to drive the 3.7s comfortably, not as much grip and drive in the bass as the Veritas. In this green condition, the JOB 225 had sound stage and transparency/detail, at the expense of tone sounding leaner than the Veritas. I hope to hear it again after some more burn in. So much has been written about the amp including a huge thread at AudioShark, and leanness is a trait no one attributes to the 225, so my first take must have been an anomaly, I look forward to auditioning it again.
Weight power/authority and density comes with the right AC cables for your system. Also the AM super fuse gives the amp a richer fuller sound.
The Job is an amazing amp. Clear, articulate and three dimensional in spades with a sweet voice. Maybe the "leanness" that you think you heard was just before the initial break in. The amp is so clear and natural that some may take it as a little lean at first, but it is far from that. Match the Job with a fairly benign load (preferably greater than 3 ohm) speaker, sit back and enjoy the glorious sound unfolding in front of you. Horn type speakers are absolutely stunning on the Job. You would not recognize my Klipsch Cornwall III's with this little amp. Absolutly wonderful. No matter what I hooked up to the Job (TAD CR-1, Sonus Faber Evolutions, Revel Studio2, Nola Grand Micro Reference, Klipsch Cornwall III, or inexpensive Pioneer monitors), they all sound great!
Joe, I've followed the thread on AS, and with the exposure you have to the absolute best gear available, you have always championed the JOB 225. I hope to hear the same unit with many more hours on it soon, I want it to be the sleeper amp that has Goldmund sonics at Rotel pricing.
04-09-14: Klh007
The JOB 225 had sound stage and transparency/detail, at the expense of tone sounding leaner than the Veritas.

This tonal balance has been stated by more than just by you Klh007, it was a trait that devilboy also heard when he used the Lightspeed Attenuator passive pre with it. As the Lightspeed is like a direct connection from source to poweramp, he preferred a preamp that made up for the Jobs lean character with something that augmented the lower registers or bought the tops down.

Cheers George
" he preferred a preamp that made up for the Jobs lean character with something that augmented the lower registers or bought the tops down."

The Job doesn't have a lean character !! I have no pre amp and no leanness going on.
The Job is not lean...if one detects any leanness, then it is likely an up stream component. It is however very transparent.

Interesting how some people have opinions about a product that they have never heard and also like to provide the (abbreviated) findings of others in a (lame) attempt to validate some preconceived notion or agenda. Go figure.

Cheers - Grk ; )
Just snagged a Job 225 off ebay for $1200. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed...wanted to see what all the fuss is about? Currently have a Exposure 2010s2 which I really enjoy.... Some amps that have come and gone: Hegel 100, April Stello AI 500, Flying Mole, Virtue Sensation M901, Nad 356 Bee, Rega Brio R, Nad D750, Marantz 8004......
DJ,

We all move on down the road, yes?

Looking at the Clayton 100 amps but I don't need a humming amp! Also the Maker amp up on the 'Gon is a nice buy.

Gropher is unloading. Say G what is on the hit list now?
W,

Just looking :)

Will get the Music Reference 200 mk2 for sure to run in the winter time.
I wanted to comment on the leanness issue. My Job has been on the lean side in my system a good bit in the past. My speakers have some accentuated upper mids, which do things I really like in that region, but also require careful electronics and cabling pairing. When I upgraded to the Lampizator in January, I have never since felt the sound was lean again, but it certainly wasn't lush. And with some cables and preamp pairings, the sound was tilted away from neutral toward higher frequencies and reducing presence in the lower mid and upper bass power region. Again, my speakers are the main culprit there.

I recently finally splurged on the Audio Magic super fuse cited over on audioshark by Joe. This fuse transformed the character of the Job in my system. Much more instrumental tone and lushness. I no longer need cables and a tube preamp that were balancing the character of the Job.

My main point is that it's always about system matching. I've been one of those who had heard leanness with the Job, and I almost gave up and moved on. But I stuck it out and found changing other aspects of my system and the fuse upgrade have made it a keeper for sure.
I agree with Genjam about the AM fuse as it changes the whole landscape of the Job's presentation.
Hi Genjamon,

I am so happy that you've found the right combination. I appreciate the kind words and hope you enjoy your system for years to come. I love my Job and will never be without it. I even look forward to the upcoming mono blocks at the end of the year (hopefully).
Does anyone have an opinion whether the Job will properly drive my Apogee Centaur Majors? I've read in another audio site that they may not be up to the task.
I don't recommend the Job 225 for the Apogee Centaur. Maybe the mono blocks by years end.
Greetings, a pleasure to join this thread for the Job 225, a fine piece of audio gear that I'm enjoying in my system. I purchased not long after the 6moons review was published, and a couple of email exchanges with Srajan wherein he admitted liking the Job to the point that he was comfortable having it replace the ModWright KWA100SE in his audio array.

Soon after receiving the Job I began to feel that if it could sound so very fine with the somewhat less-than compelling stock parts, just how good could it sound with upgrades? I took advantage of a sale Sonic Craft was having at the time and sent the Job to them to have binding posts, ac inlet, and input jacks all professionally replaced with substantially better Furutech parts. After getting the Job back I replaced the fuse with a HiFi Tuning, swapped in a Triode Wire Labs 8+ power cord, and set the Job up on Herbie's Tenderfeet. I'm not a "measurement" guy, and I don't torment myself analyzing specific sonic attributes/faults, it's pretty much "does it sound better to my ears?" The upgrades definitely helped the Job sound even "better" to my ears.

So, what's next? With the Job providing such a remarkably cost-effective and sonically superior platform, I don't see any point in NOT attempting some additional parts upgrades. The next obvious area to focus on would be caps/resistors. The Goldmund/Job designers have leveraged maximum performance from their chosen parts, but again, what might the performance "ceiling" be with carefully considered parts from the likes of Rike, Rel-Cap, Audyn, Obbligato, Munforf, etc.?

I've already traded emails with Chris J. at Parts Connexion, and he expressed willingness to have me send in the Job for evaluation of a further upgrade path. I'm seriously considering doing so, as I don't possess the expertise to tackle such an undertaking myself, and have enough respect for the Job's basic design that I'm disinclined to just "throw darts" to see what sticks. It'd be helpful to me to hear from any other Job owners/fans who have considered these sorts of upgrade and may have arrived at some solid conclusions. Thanks.
No two ears are the same and I think Srajan is out to space. I don't want to bash on the guy, but he's the most artsy fartsy thing I have ever read...it's "very difficult" getting through a sentence without laughing. This said, you could have purchased a used Job amp for a price you can basically sell back and get your money back. You could have done a borrowing of the Modwright KWA-100SE and only pay the shipping to have the amp returned. This would have given you the correct answer as to which amp sounds how it does and it could well have been similar to what Srajan had to say, or completely the opposite, or somewhere in between. Point in case is I know people that have heard both, and prefer the Modwright, so it is to say, after spending what you have been spending on all these mods, you could have had a KWA-100SE from a used sale and not required sending it in since the amp has exceptional caps, transformers, etc. etc. etc.

Back on topic here...why would "anyone" pay $3500 for that link above to the Audio Circle company for a hot rodded "anything" that is out there amp? I just don't get the logic...pay $1500 for an amp, then pay well over 100% of the cost to have it modded to death...just ludicrous really.

I wonder if the dual mono version Job is working on will be a $7K amp by this hot rodding company LOL!!!!

It really makes me question the sanity levels of the audio world when you have a very fine Job 225 amp, and make so many claims about it, yet you need to have it modified??? I "never" see owners of Goldmund/Pass Labs-First Watt/name your amp company of choice...modifying their amps.

Why can't someone just offer a $200 mod for the amp that does the basics. I don't think it costs much more than $200 to achieve 99% of whatever is left to gain from modding it.
I hear you Audioexcels. Your words speak to me but to each their own of course.

I decided to post the link to the Audio Circle company because they are local to me plus I thought some folks might want to upgrade their Job 225, if funds allowed, to look the part of a high-end amplifier.
"I've already traded emails with Chris J. at Parts Connexion, and he expressed willingness to have me send in the Job for evaluation of a further upgrade path. I'm seriously considering doing so, as I don't possess the expertise to tackle such an undertaking myself, and have enough respect for the Job's basic design that I'm disinclined to just "throw darts" to see what sticks. It'd be helpful to me to hear from any other Job owners/fans who have considered these sorts of upgrade and may have arrived at some solid conclusions."

I was thinking about having the speaker terminals replaced until I read the 6 Moons review of the new JOB preamp and the interview with the designer who stated that the stock terminals sounded better than other more expensive ones, so I left well enough alone!

Your best bet to improve the sound would be to go with the Sweetcord or some other high end power cord and an upgraded fuse. Other than that, I would not mess around. It is a great sounding amp! if you are still hankering to improve the sound, wait until later this year and spring for the new mono blocks. You will likely spend less on them than spending your hard earned money on some of the after market upgrades. My 2 cents.
There are a couple of guys over on Audio Circle who have paired the 225 with a cryo treated iFi iTube ($300) with a modified to 9vdc Astron SL 11A power supply ($120) with very good results. Astron will do the mod from 12v to 9v for free.
I use the iTube/Astron with a TBI MG3 amp/Astron and like what it does. Hope to take the plunge to a 225 soon.
I just received a used unit here on the Tom. I hear a lot of hiss and hum out of my speakers and my system has been dead quiet with all the other amps I have owned. Is this hissing noise and hum somethinhpg you guys hear? I hear it at moderate to loud volumes.
Hmm.
My 225 was an early unit which had the grounding problem.  Not to worry though. It is an easy fix. I sent my 225 to a place in NYC as instructed by Goldmund/Job. Mine was covered under warranty but since yours is used, you'll obviously have to pay the labor.This is, of course, if you have the same problem.
My 225 did it with the volume turned down though.
Thanks. More of a tube rush sound as the hum through the woofers is slight. The tube rush sort of hiss is strange? Hiss is a ground issue? I know a 60hz hum is grounding, but hiss? 

I know the unit is two years old. Perhaps the seller will pay for it. 

This is amp sounds amazing on my Harbeth 40.1 speakers! Wow. 
Devil boy, my heat sinks get so hot I cannot keep my hand on them for even a second when I crank the volume. Do you find this to be true? burning hot. 

Jesus! Sorry to say, but sounds like you have something going on there. 
I never felt the heatsinks, but I'll do it tomorrow morning.
Well, you DID also say it was a hum, so that's why I suggested grounding issue. 
I could be wrong. I'm nowhere near an expert on this.
Understand. The heatsinks are only warm at low volumes, but very, very hot at high volumes. At idle, just warm. 
Hmm.
Like I said, I'll check tomorrow in the a.m. and post my findings.
At the temp you're describing, it's like it was class A or something.