$4000 BUGDET - YOU ONLY HAVE 2 CHOICES - YOUR FEEDBACK MUCH APPRECIATED

Family room 4.2 system click to view, (la Scala’s, 2 subs, 2 back ceiling speakers)

Profile 1: Music listening 2.2 & Profile 2: Movies 4.2

Option 1: Anthem AVM70 (i have amps to power the speakers) ($4000)

Or

Option 2: Yamaha RX-A6A coupled with Denafrips Pontus 2 ($4000 combined)

Which would you go for? Option 1 has superior room correction including the ability to setup 2 independent LFE channels. Option 2 has superior DAC.

128x128park0388

Neither on LaScala's IMO after owning LaScala's for a number of years and trying many amps you really need to hear good tubes on them. and low power SETs. 

If it was me I'd get the processor you like ( room correction is a big plus IMO) and use low powered tube amps on the LaScala's. 150wpc is so much more then you will ever need considering 2-8 watts is plenty for any application on the 105db LaScala.

Personally I'd get the Anthem over the Yamaha just because of the room correction, its that good. and run low power tube amps on the mains. The room correction will integrate the tube amp and the rest so no worries there and the subs will be controlled as well. Sub integration will be the hardest thing with horns so I'm betting the room correction will help quite a bit here.  

Agree with @glennewdick

I have a pair of LS IIs and a pair of 15" subs. Tubes are the name of the game with Klipsch Heritage speakers.

Edit #1

Nice room, BTW....

Edit #2

Looks like you might already have a Cary tube amp. Hard to tell from the picture.

Powering La Scala’s with McIntosh MA352, just need some processing for Movie night and DAC that can do justice to the digital streams.

Anthem.

I don't know about "superior" dacs but I've been disappointed by a lot of HT processors and never by an Anthem. 

Another option would be to get the MRX 540 AVR and the Pontus and just don’t use the 540’s amps, and the total cost would be around $3500.  The question would be how much of a compromise is the preamp section of the 540 versus the AVM 70 and if it would be good enough to realize the benefits of the Pontus.  Just another thought.  Best of luck. 

I have to toss out another thumbs up with @glennewdick comment.  In my very humble opinion, any Klipsch Heritage line speaker deserves to be pushed with tube gear -- especially Cornwall's, La Scala's, and K-Horns.  My Forte and Heresy's sound so much sweeter and natural with tubes vs solid state, it actually amazes me at times.  Just my dime's worth (inflation rate on opinions).

Anthem, without a moment of hesitation.  The Yamaha is a nice but decidedly mid-fi at best component.  The Anthem is in an entirely different universe.

Another vote for Anthem. Been using an AVM 60 for close to 6 years. ARC Genesis is far better than YPAO, MCACC, Audyssey, etc. I've used Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo AVR/HT processors over the years. Anthem beats them all.

Guys recommending tube amps, remember this is both a stereo and HT system.  Do you really think the OP wants to burn tubes watching TV?  C’mon. 

PrimaLuna Integrated amplifier has HT bypass, would sound great with your LaScalas and then you could pick any decent AVR for your surrounds. 

I am not a fan of dual purpose systems but here goes.  The Anthem would better.  The only Yamaha that sound good are their expensive ones($10k), if they even still make them. 

How old are those LaScalas?  If they are old, new crossovers are a great upgrade as well.

I don't think this has been asked yet. I would approach this from a goal based direction. For example,

What is your higher priority / higher use scenario: 2 channel or multichannel?

Anthem - The DAC in the AVM is pretty darn good so I'm not sure I agree with the "superior DAC" part. 

@soix

Do you really think the OP wants to burn tubes watching TV? C’mon.

Obviously you make a very good point. Who wants to waste tubes performing HT duties?

To be fair, I believe that @glennewdick was focusing on extracting maximum sound quality from the Klipsch with regard to 2 channel use. It seems that the vast majority of Klipsch Heritage speaker owners would eagerly agree with his recommendations. David’s question is a relevant one for certain.

Charles

How old are those LaScalas?  If they are old, new crossovers are a great upgrade as well.

The appear to be AL5 Lascalas. No upgrade necessary...