B&W 805 D4: which 5 channel power amp should I go with (home theater): Parasound or Rotel

Hearing Hans Zimmer score play during scenes from The Dark Knight, Inception & Interstellar is life changing. The 805 D4 works great for l/r speaker for movies. Of course I need to add a center channel which would either be the HTM81 D4 or the HTM82 D4 but I’ll save that for another discussion.

Here are the power amps I’m looking at:

Parasound:

- Halo A 51

- Halo A 52+

Rotel:

- RMB-1585

- RMB-1585MKII

I’m not able to go into an audio store to test out power amps  so I would like your expert opinion on which might work better with these speakers or if you have any recommendations for 5 channel power amp then I would gladly go take a look at those online.

Thank you for your time.

candyisdandy

I got to hear the 804D3s with my McCormack DNA 0.5 amp and it was a nice pairing. The McCormack doesn’t warm up the sound per se, but it has a nicely fleshed-out midrange that balances out the treble nicely and, most importantly, doesn’t aggravate the diamond tweets. The other thing the DNA 0.5 did was allow the 804s to image/soundstage like crazy — big, wide, and deep.  I’m not sure but the Halo amps might be a little warmer sounding so that’d be worth exploring, but I would certainly avoid the Rotel amps as they won’t help you at all. Hope this helps.

I think NAD makes a multichannel amp with Hypex modules you should also consider.

Are you open to used equipment? Because the Bryston 9B SST is what I use with a Magnepan system - just a little to the warm side, 20 year warrantee. Yes, 20 years - I've abused Bryston amps with never a failure.

SST series is quite a bit cleaner than ST series, warmer than the SST 2 series - or so I'm told. I use a 9B SST in the HT and a 4B SST for bass in the 2 channel system.

Good luck!

Since Rotel and B&W are in the same corporate group and based on using them together personally these two companies are a great match.  

we have sold parasound previously a nice amp but parasound is having major issues right now

a better sounding more flexible amplifier is the primare eight channel amplifier you can run two channels as a 475 watt stereo pair

XLR and RCA inputs for each of eight channels of amplification with 150 watts per channel output into 8 ohms, with a maximum output of 1500 watts.

Each pair of output channels can be bridged, allowing the amp to provide power to virtually any multi-channel speaker configuration, either on its own or with an A35.2 stereo amplifier.

For an extraordinarily powerful two-channel bi-amplified system, one fully bridged A35.8 delivers peak power of 4 x 375 watts or 750 watts per pair per channel.

Additional convenience features include auto-sense turn-on from standby and auto standby after an absence of input signal for twenty minutes which can be turned off allowing the A35.8 to remain on indefinitely if preferred.

we used this amplifier at axponna and it was extraordinary

DAVE AND Troy

audio intellect NJ

primare dealer