Combination streamer and music server…without DAC

Re. Combination streamer and music server without DAC:  There don’t seem to be too many of these out there and when I do see them, they tend to be quite pricey (Aurender N20).  I would like to use the DAC on my CD player.  I’m looking for something used, between $3K and $4K.  I suppose Lumin is an option by purchasing an L1 storage unit but I’m trying to avoid having another box.  I have about 300 to 400 cd’s.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

russellrcncom

All my posts have been removed, so I guess the best advice as per this site is to just buy whatever audiotroy recommends. Totally corrupted IMHO, and this post will no doubt be removed as well. Just buy what audiotroy recommends because it’s obviously endorsed by Audiogon. Objectivity be damned.

@russellrcncom 

I just got into streaming about six months ago. I bought a new Bluesound Node N130, $600, a better USB cable, $225 and a linear power supply, $475.

It’s hooked up to my router and through the router, to my NAS that has about 1500 CD’s on it. It’s plugged it into an external DAC and the to my integrated. My CD player and Transport ( I have about 1600 CD’s) are also plugged into the DAC.

Total cost is about $1300.

It’s true I am a “ rapid “ Vandy fan….. rabid test rabbit done died…..

while the future proof upgradability of hardware is of clear interest to many ardent audiophiles, One important consideration for the OP might be software… A streamer / server is quite software intensive…. So pick a long lived firm with a history of successful software rolls…and support…. at 440 hz….. smile :-)

I have owned 5 streamers / bridges and listened to perhaps 20 more. Starting at the bottom end the iFi Zen Stream sounded very good but was hell to live with, The Stark sounded wonderful but was worse, totally incompatible with my Mac environment even the dealer couldn't make it work. The Marantz was so bright I stopped using it and went to a separate dac. Tried Sonore but eventually decided I like music not fixing problems every day. So onto other potential solutions beg, steal and borrow, Aurendar, Moon, Lumin, Cambridge Audio etc.  a mixed bag probably more due to DACs than any thing else.  Eventually decided 1, get a better DAC so Denafrips came on board, 2, don't ever use the screen so why pay for one and potentially have a component inside my box that is needed. Eventual solution, Lindemann Limetree Bridge.  Compared extensively in store against others costing 4, 5, 10 times more, I could tell no difference. Had a year works all day every day, sounds great, good app.

Lumin U1 is cheap now that Lumin released the U2, has a good app and support and most importantly you will need to spend double to best it.