For Vandersteen owners & lovers: Which other brands do you like?

If you didn’t own Vandersteens, what would you own instead and why? Or, if you switched to another brand what did you choose?

First, let me say that I am a Vandersteen owner for 20+ years, now on my 2nd pair of the 2CE, the Signature III. I have owned other brands, and heard many others and even liked some. 😀 I don’t change gear frequently once I settle on something. Lazy & frugal = me.

I am on the verge of being on the verge of getting the Vandy Treo CT. I have auditioned them at length. I have also heard the Quatro CT and if budget allowed (including upgrading my front end) I would get them for sure. I’m not a fanboy—there is a reason why Vandersteen has sold something like 100K pairs of the 2CE. They sound very good and all of their models are a real bargain/value in their category, imo.

I have heard and liked, for different reasons, Maggies, Magicos, Harbeths, Focals, Linkwitz-Riley, and other brands. Others that I have not heard intrigue me too. I keep circling back to Vandys—maybe it’s what I have known the longest. I have flirted with the Larsen 8 or 9, which is a totally different design (AbSound has reviewed them well), and also the MBL 120 and 126 (omnidirectionals).

I know I could be happy for life with Vandersteens (Treo, Quatro, or dreaming—the Kento or 7). I am interested in detailed opinions of alternatives in the $10K range though. Thanks!

128x128patrickdowns
islandmandan Dan,

I’m 75 years old, taking care of my Dementia addled wife (still a lovely person, though), I’ve had a stroke a couple of years ago, my right side of my body is numb, but I can still walk, talk, and look the same, but its cut my activity level down a great deal, but my hearing is still good, thank the Gods up there.

I am sorry to hear that about your wife (for both of you)—it’s hard stuff. I have told my wife if it happens to me, push me out to sea in my kayak. Not kidding.

I am glad your ears are holding up and music is a source of joy. At 65 I wish the same for myself in 10 or more years. Your place sounds like a lovely oasis.

My best wishes to you. ~PD

skucie

Moving from the 2CE Sig 3 to the Treo CT is a huge leap.  Probably bigger than you realize.  I'm sure you would be absolutely thrilled with the Treo CT.  That carbon tweeter is really something, but you might also consider the non CT Quatro on the used market.  I'd expect them to cost about the same and they would have the edge in bass, if that's more important to you.

I know you are right! Those are good options. If I got a deal on like-new Treo CTs (I've missed a few deals) for $7K, I could get the Vandy sub to go with them for the price of a new pair of Treo CTs. Or, get lucky on some used Quatro CTs.

@islandmandan "Music has been a constant my whole life, even though I wasn't able to pursue a carreer in it, it's a major factor in my quality and enjoyment of ilfe.

We do the best we can with what we have left. I can only listen in mono now, but I still have the music playing most of the day. God bless you. 

I could get the Vandy sub to go with them for the price of a new pair of Treo CTs.

If I was you I’d be on the lookout for two used 2wq subs as there are really good deals out there on those subs now, and two very good subs is almost always better than one great one.  And IMHO the 2wq was and still is a damn good sub, and two of’em?  End game stuff to me. 

PD and Russ,

Yes, we do our best. We have to have the mindset that being happy is our responsability,  enjoying life is what we should try to do, you can't buy happiness, but you can sure have it, and take it with you (and give it away as well).

I still love my wife, still love my home and system, and enjoy what I have. I don't need any more than that.

My best to you guys! Regards,

Dan