The new dynamic in speaker pricing

Yesterday I received the latest issue of the Absolute Sound mag. This issue has the round up of the varying speaker manufacturer’s wares along with the retail pricing. One thing that struck me is the number of speaker manufacturer’s who have a speaker in their line up that cost close to a $1M!! There are good number of speakers now available with prices in the $700K+ range. A few manufacturer’s are also a little ’glib’ with their top model pricing, such as Oswalds Mill--who state- price upon inquiry only!

This new speaker pricing dynamic is interesting, as it clearly indicates that there are buyers out there who are happy to pay these prices and presumably enough buyers to make these products viable. A trend that is certainly interesting and yet questionable as to how it will impact the hobby as a whole.

Opinions on this trend?

128x128daveyf

I get tremendous enjoyment from my custom designed and built Tannoy HPD 315's that were about $5000 back in 2008 when I first decided to build them.  You don't have to spend much to get a LOT of enjoyment, but for folks who enjoy spending vast sums of money, I'm happy for them.

It’s nice that some in our little audio industry can offer something for the ubber wealthy. I hope its as profitable for them as that one apple Russ mentioned.

Superiority?

These manufacturers know that the people who pay these exhorbitant amounts are almost never audiophiles. They also know these buyers are the most easily sold a bill of goods in terms of value. I saw this ALL the time when I worked in audio...guys who bought the most expensive gear and barely knew how to turn it on.

"

These manufacturers know that the people who pay these exhorbitant amounts are almost never audiophiles. They also know these buyers are the most easily sold a bill of goods in terms of value. "

Kind of a broad statement don't you think? Plenty of serious audiophiles with big ticket systems over on WhatsBestForum; and elsewhere.

There will always be folks who earn seven figures or more. If these folks haven’t stolen their earnings, why on earth would folks begrudge what they purchase?  If I earned more, I certainly would have a bigger house, better system, better cars, better clothes… and the list goes on and on.  I buy what I can afford. They buy what they can afford.  Why do folks have such an issue with other’s spending habits?  It’s life. There will always be winners and losers.  Everyone doesn’t get a participation award.