CDP or Transport and DAC? Recomendations?

Current setup:

Rega Apollo CDP

BlueSound Node 2i

Rega P6 TT (upgrading to P8 after 1st of 2022, when I can hopefully find a new one) 

Rogers High Fidelity KWM88 Integrated

Tekton Moab

Looking for advice on a CD upgrade. Budget around $5000. Want new equipment. Is it better to look at a separate transport/dac or a cdp in that price range? What are your recomendations?

Have around 3000 cd’s dating back to the mid 80’s when cd’s first came out. Have SACD’s as well as burned cdr’s.  Need to play everything.

The Audiogon members are always the most helpful and I appreciate your time/thoughts.

Thanks

walstib

I am a Transport and DAC guy. Always have been.

I do not do any of this ripping stuff but I only have a couple hundred CD's and prefer WAX.

I am an Analog Bot in a digital world.

@curiousjim, ericsch:

Ah-- you didn't see my thread. . . 

I found its diminutive proportions and light weight  a pain in the arse in terms of practical utility it but so far, no-one else has reported the same response. All I can conclude is that my arse must be unusually sensitive for an audiophile ;o) 

I ended up making what was a better choice for me-- bought a Hegel H390, which not only provided a large improvement in resolution but also, dramatically enhanced bass focus/control. I very much doubt a transport upgrade would've provided the latter, which is more important to me than squeezing out the nth degree of detail.  

And now, someone else gets to pick up the RS2 for a better price! 

Just picked up the Cyrus cdt transport. Will be feeding it to my Border Patrol r2r dac. Possibly the best transport out there at the price. Have the audio lab transport, however it is my feeling that it is too large for what it does, unnecessarily so...the Cyrus is only 8 inches wide by 14 inches deep. For Sacd’s, I use my Marantz SA8005.

Don’t bother with a transport, just rip all your CDs on your computer and transfer the files to a couple of redundant network attached hard drives.

Put the extra money (if any) into a better DAC.

There is a reason why all the really high performing CD players and transports do not play SACDs. There a compromise made in doing so. If you do a side by side on an adequate system it stick out like a sore thumb. Anything that will play them all is going to be noisier and have more jitter by design. If your CDRs were recorded at over 4X then they are full of mistakes, not opinion a fact as a result any really good CD transport or player will have trouble reading the disks. I would suggest 2 machines with one only playing true REDBOOK. I have two separate machines. But then I sell CEC players and transports.