6.5 vs 8 vs 10 woofer

IMHO I think the 8 is the ideal size cone for mid/small sized listening rooms. Even for large size listening rooms. 
The lower mid hz's seem cleaner/clearer. And  there is so little fq's in 905+ of the music we listen to, it seems to me the 8  driver is the most perfect size cone.
A 10 size cone  has the potential to become overwheling, aggressive, attacking when amp gain is pushed just a  tad too much, = Better  volume  control with a  8 vs a 10. 
The 6.5 misses some of that lower bass which a  8 can voice superior. 
After listening to several YT vids with a  10 FR, I had considered going 10, but i think  staying with a  8 avoids regrets. 
I listen at low/mid volume. 

mozartfan
My more 'conventional' speakers are 6.5s' with a passive for speed, to keep pace with Heil amt's.  Below that, a pair of 10" backed by a small sub for impact on demand.

The Walsh only need the sub for 'bottom'. *s*  Same for the Maggies.

Between the 3, I can adjust for the media du jour. ;)

The only 'one size fits all'....is a hanky.
Mozartfan is a very suitable handle.
His dogmatic unevidenced statements seem to be formed from the scientific knowledge available in the eighteenth century.
The voice coils caught fire less than half an hour into the first band's set. LITERALLY CAUGHT FIRE.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard Gray did advise , that I am going in the very opposite direction as his Atmosphere 2.8watt SWET with 83db eff speakers, 
While the Atmos owner burnt up his SET amp, <<like 3x's>>?? according to Richard's testimony, That I would witha  100 pure watt PP amplifier <<Litterally Fry the 98 db speakers>>
This morning as i awaoke, i realized, just at what vol level on the linestage jadis can I turn before i have << high db level>> 
Might have to get that Italian step attenuator for $300 have Ricahrd install, 
OR sell off the Defy7 and make a offer on Richard;s 250 tube SET amplifier he  designed, its all attached to a  piece of plywood, , but thats neither here nor there, Its how does it sound.
After I get the 8's up N running I will test the 2 amps. 

I mean even with the 6.5 Diatone, the vol knob hardly ever goes past 9 oclock, if that. 
94db, then 98 db, now i am beginning to understand all this SET vs PP paired with super high FR speakers.
Got it. 

While I agree with this sentiment 100%, there is always the exception to the rule.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes my above post.
I am already looking fora  845 used SET amp on Ebay now. 
Its possible the Defy may have to go.
Seems after all these years, it was high snsitivity speakers that i was after all this time,. However the caveat here is, will a SET perform complex full orchestra w/o getting all ~discombobulated~, Flustered~ breakdown~.
If yes, Defy stays.
Will order Richard's recommended Italian 47 step attenuator. 
Just can't use hardly any of the power of the Defy. 
Will have to ck the magnet temp now and then, so its not over heating.
My 10" tannoy dual concentric driver sounds good to me with none of the negatives you profess.