how to remove a woofer from b@w801n

I am from the Philadelphia area and would like to send my woofers to Miller Sound.  for renovation . in order to do it I  need to remove them from the cabinet . my question  is it hard shall I get a technician to do it or shall I do it myself thx in advance 

shdr

Unscrew the 8 screws you see around the perimeter of the 15in driver. The driver is held onto the speaker with them.

Not familiar with the connectors or if soldered connections.

IF you need to cut the wires, pick a spot that allows easy re-connect, and arm yourself with a connector set.

Bullets allow connect/disconnect, and are a good way to add some extra wire if some slack is needed.

here’s a bunch of them I used to rehab a crossover for my AR-2ax speakers

I bought this inexpensive wire stripper/crimper, better quality than the price indicates

wire stripper/crimper

Thousands of dollars for interconnects, power cables and speaker cables and the expensive sound unceremoniously goes through a 5 cent crimp on connector. 😊

Frankly, the answer is fairly simple. Do you have any previous technical experience working with audio gear, and especially loudspeakers? 

Do you have knowledge of exactly how to properly access the internal components of you speakers both mechanically and electrically.?

Have you ever done any wiring removal and reinstall using proper tools and most probably, a soldering iron?

If the answer is YES, and you have any printed support documentation for repairs (which I doubt) then there is a basis for you to undertake the project yourself.

If the answer is NO, then doing anything other than taking the speakers to a professional, could be very risky, possibly ending up with less that the result you are expecting,

ibmjunkman

make that 0.5 cent connector.

Have you ever looked at the innards of many highly respected speakers, vintage, the models that made those brands/models famous?

you will be shocked at the small gauge wires, no special insulation or special properties, .... I seriously doubt it was silver solder.

function, ability for an unskilled person, unlikely to have soldering tools or experience to remove/install a driver, just to ship it to someone for repair is paramount.

my AR-2ax sounded great. They didn’t have a problem, just ancient. I changed the Level Controls (known to be problematic), upgraded the crossover, used connect/disconnect bullets .... which allow for solving any problem, during that or future innards work, and

they sound great, better? Confidence, YES!

I watched/helped a tech remove my 801N woofers.  The driver is held in by the perimeter screws, and there is a paper gasket around the edge.  IIRC the connectors are not hard-wired.  Removal is much easier with the speaker laying on it's back.  The screws are removed and a bent or curved pick (or maybe a screwdriver) can be inserted into a screw hole to pry the driver up enough to grasp with your fingers.  I recommend having a helper especially if removal is tried with the speaker standing up.

Not difficult but take your time and be careful...

Bill

I replaced a driver in a B&W 803. Remove the screws. Unplug the connectors. Easy peasy.