Looking for a good full range floor stander

Hello all.  Making a good two way system for a 20 x 40x 12 high room budget 12k to 16 k.  Powered by a bryston 14b cubed amp.  Have a surround system with Golden ear ref and surrounds powered by parasound a21 for mains  and Carver cinema grand for surrounds. Like the GEs  The speakers I'm looking for will be for music only lots of jazz (female vocalist a fav), classical, classic rock and roll (70's and up).  I have heard good things about proac k6, Joseph audio, and a few others but am not within 4 hours of audition range.  Real interested in people in the know about the proac or suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
paliden
2psyop, with any story there are two sides. One did the defective speaker come from a dealer or was used?

How do you know the exact specifics? Do you think this disgruntled person telling the story was necessarily telling both sides if there was one.

You also omit one key fact, the day that Jim Salk has a heart attack, or gets hit by a bus, ( we don’t mean this just making a point,) what does this mean for your resale, or servicing then?

Look at the poor schlubs that own Green Mountain Audio, or Merlin or a 100 tiny independent manufacturers that have come and gone intersesting that that idea never enters your head. Sure there are instances when larger companies go belly up, however, innovative ones keep on comming out with newer and better products that keep on pushing the envelope which keeps the company afloat.

What happens 10 years latter when you blow a driver and that driver isn’t made any more and Mr. Salk doesn’t keep a ton of spare parts like Kef and B&W does?

You may dream all you want but the biggest and most successful companies got that way from careing about their customers.

Also one of the things that a good dealer does is to make sure you get good service from the company. Just knowing who to talk to can make a huge difference.

If you want to talk to Jim Salk at an audio show vs us, no biggie, Jim Salk has experience limited to his designs, while we have 30 years of playing with, setting up and working with many of the world’s greatest speaker manufacturers.

Sure there will always be innovative small companies, but realize this that buying drivers and putting them in a nice box, does not a speaker company make that is the definition of an assembly company.

If you want to see real innovation in advancing the audio art it lies with the companies that have the resources to really push the envelope.

Good luck to you.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Troy,

Do you know much about Jim’s background?

Jim, along with those he partners with to design and voice speakers is awfully distinguished with loads of experience. Not sure why you seem to have an issue with Salk and tekton, though I could guess.

He is also no threat to the sales of any of the big companies. I don’t believe that is remotely his goal.

As for support in 10 years... anything can happen. Signed Energy, Mirage, snell, and a host of others. Some of Jim’s drivers are custom and yes, could be hard to find. But The same thing goes for the big boys. Particularly with consolidation in the industry.

Are jims speakers the best, no. Do they provide one heck of a value, along with custom finishes that for many are worth the smaller company trade-off? Yes.

Many dealers come and go, and many dealers churn through brands.

As for the OP, if you could find used Salk SS12’s. Those would do the job in that big room (if you have the power).

legacy focus se or xe would also do the trick.  I do think the focus SE is a good speaker.  

Side note, buddy of mine loves his older legacy’s, but had a rubber surround tear and he couldn’t get the driver.  Had to be glued.  The getting older parts thing for just about everyone is a crapshoot.  

Dep we have no issue with Salk he does seem to make a nice speaker.

We also endorsed both Tekton and Salk models that would work in the Op large room please see our other posts.

The points raised were to combat 2psyops line that small indedendent companies are better than the big boys.

Nor do we think that Legacy makes the worlds best speakers they happen to sound great and are also an outstanding value.

Legacy buys their drivers from other companies so they too would fall 
Into a similar set of caveats.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor
Post removed