Want to try separates, what to expect.

Ok, I have always had an integrated amp or A/V receiver (briefly) as my main source for amplification. I started with a Lafayette tube amp that was my Granddad's. I have had a few different SS units from the late 70"s and the late 80's. I now an using a very nice Modwright KWI 200. I have this strong urge to try some modestly priced separates. Is this a move that will bring obvious sonic improvement or just subtle improvement. Just thought I would ask for opinions before I jump off that cliff. I'll likely still try it, you know how it goes in this hobby. Thanks, Allen (Mizike)
mizike
I briefly thought about doing the same  until I realized that the  "massive" improvements that some claim are actually subtle at best. Not to say that improvements are impossible, just unlikely after a lot of $.
mizike
at this price point and performance level, get out to your dealers/retailers and, listen, listen, listen to the Separates.  Keep us posted on the gear auditioned and locations of brands. Enjoy your Audio journey.
Happy Listening!
Dealers enjoy working for free. The man is going to buy used. Unless he is going to buy from dealers auditioning is forbidden.
Inna, Which world are you living in? Auditioning not kosher? He might well buy or trade something in later. As long as you are up front with a dealer and not there on a busy day, they should be accommodating. Or am I thinking of a world long since past?

Mizike, I have spent the last 12 months learning about today's audio
world. I had a surround setup for 20 years I was tired of. Last week
I saw a very lightly used tube amp by Cary I bought for $2,200.
It has 60 wpc triode and 120 ultra linear. 
I had been using a vintage Scott tube receiver rebuilt by an expert.

The difference in sound is amazing. Your Modwright is probably a hell of a lot better than what I had. The chase is exciting!! Have fun!!
"By moderately priced I talking about used prices and a budget of around $12,000. Based on the cost of some of the very high end equipment, that seems moderate to me. I do sometimes think it may be hard to improve much on the Modwright with that level of investment."

Oh I beg to differ.  As good as your $5000 integrated is, there are limitations.  Below you'll find listings for a $4500 preamp and $7500 amp that meet your $12k budget, and if bought new you'd be out over $26,000.  Buy them, and if they don't soundly beat your integrated on virtually every level I'll come over and eat them with some fava beans and a nice chianti. 

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649453502-allnic-l3000-mkii-stereo-tube-pre-amplifier/

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis949db-pass-labs-xa-100-5-solid-state?refsource=hifishark