Primaluna EVO 300 Integrated or Separates?

Hello,

I am looking for advice on an age old question: separates or integrated. I currently use an Audible Illusion 3A with a factory upgraded Audio Prism Debut II amplifier (4 - EL 34s @ 35 watts per channel) and home built versions of the Swan Allure speakers (93 dB efficient).

With speakers that efficient, should I expect to hear much loss in scale or dynamics going with the EV0 300 integrated or Dialogue Premium integrated, as opposed to separates? Should I expect a lost of resolution with an integrated amp? Has anyone specifically auditioned a Primaluna integrated against separates on efficient speakers? 

The choice for me is not strictly about cost. I would do the upgrade to an integrated now. With separates, I would upgrade the 3A to a 3B then eventually upgrade the Debut amplifier.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions,
Drew
drewharty
The amount of difference will be noticed, but subjective like everything else.
I use a PL  DPHP.

If you decide on an integrated, also check out the Line Magnetics if made in the USA isn't mandatory. They offer some interesting sonic choices(845) perfect for your speakers.
I have followed Herb Reichert's writing about the LM 845 amp with interest, but one of my buying criteria is a an amp with a good service record. Other than their 845 amp, LM just doesn't seem well established in the U.S.

I am also looking at the Ayon Scorpio or Spirit III integrated amps. Are three any Ayon owners out there that have had good or bad experiences with Ayon service?

There are lots of long term LM owners in the USA. Check out the 63 page thread on the LM508/805IA on Steve Hoffman for example. I own an 805ia and can promise you that it's in another league compared to the PL's. Most integrated LM amps will easily drive your speakers.
"I have followed Herb Reichert's writing"

You may know the Herb is also in the PL camp with the positive reviews of PL gear. 

It won't be a "bad" choice with either PL or Line Magnetics. Your ears will be the judge. Both great value choices.

I have no dispute with those who recommend Primaluna  as a good amplifier option. I do believe that n
query makes a strong point regarding the Line Magnetic (LM)  508a or 805a options. This is a pure class A SET using DHT 300b tube to drive the 805 DHT output tubes. This amplifier is in a different tier of performance/sound quality IMHO. 

The USA distributor is the highly regarded Tone Audio Imports. LM is a very viable choice to give some consideration to.

Charles

@millercarbon I had the Raven Nighthawk MKIII in home for audition two weeks ago. I was not impressed. VERY noisy, high noise floor, lots of humm and hissing out of tweeters and in midrange drivers. I’m guessing the tubes were not tested or listened to before shipment. Very anemic and thin sounding.
My Hegel has much more weight and body. Much tighter and faster bass. Much more coherent sound top to bottom.

The manufacturer claims the Nighthawk’s 20 watts sound like 100 solid state. Umm... No.

Needless to say, I returned the Raven.
Just another recommendation for taking a look at Line Magnetic. I have had the 518 IA (845 based 22wpc) for 4 years, zero service issues, well built, very good sounding especially with some tube rolling. Also, Jonathan Halpern of Tone Imports is very easy to interact with.

Hi devilboy,

As you
I suspect if could be a case of poor quality tubes in your particular Raven amplifier. On the other hand it’s certainly possible the amplifier just is not a good match with your Nola speakers (it happens). The Hegel seems to be a very good fit for your speakers. I would not be surprised if the Line Magnetic 805ia (48 watts of pure class A SET)  (or their 845 tubed amps) paired very well with your NOLAs. I can understand your happiness with the Hegel.

Terrific sound with your speakers.

You can leave it on 24/7

No tube expense/replacement concerns.

I do get the feeling you’d hear an exceptionally natural and involving sound with the LM 805ia driving the NOLA. I know you are in a good place sonically with your current system set up, congratulations.

Charles

For best performance, separates outperform integrated amps For keeping it neat why not take it a step further since The Audible illusions are a great preamp matching with The Quicksilver Monos you can just run a low cap longer interconnect, place each amp near your speakers with short speaker wire. We have done many shootouts with prima lune.
The Made in the USA Quicksilvers are point to point wired, have great output transformers, simply stated that’s what makes great performance, add-in unrivaled trouble-free operation, easy to access ph support and you will be too busy enjoying music and telling others this way without having to ask. JohnnyR

Hi facten,

I took a look at your system page. You have a very nice audio system and I'm certain it sounds quite wonderful.

Charles

Charles, LM has been on my radar for some time now. Maybe one day I'll pull that trigger.
Love my Line Magnetic 845-Premium. Love it. 30 WPC driving a pair of JBL 4365s. I haven't heard their other pieces but I would imagine they sound great. I've had Primaluna separates in the past and they sounded great - super reliable and it was fun tube rolling. But alas LM has suuuuuuch an amazing 3D soundstage and mids. They're special. I wont be going back to Primaluna.
I have the Evo 300 integrated, and I feel that the preamp section of the Evo 300 is not a stellar unit, and I would have preferred a separate preamp. Live and learn.
ask a simple question and go right down the rabbit hole as always...exhausting.
Integrateds are much more cost effective. In theory separates would be better just because of the multiple chassis and power supplies. (All other things being equal, haha) Unlike the integrated, the Primaluna preamp is also tube rectified which might be important to some people.

if you know what sound you want and can get it in an integrated then that’s the most economical, clean and simple way to go. I’m just getting into separates because I don’t know yet, and I like the flexibility of running different power amps (including a Primaluna DPHP).

You could try to demo a Primaluna or Raven integrated. You might get lucky and be done.