Looking for phono preamp advice in the $1000 - $1600 range

I am thinking of upgrading my current Vincent PHO-701 hybrid phono stage to something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and still would make a meaningful improvement.

The chain I have now is Rega P8 with Hana SL LOMC cart, the Vincent phono stage, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium (tube) preamp, McIntosh MC312 (solid state) power amp, and GoldenEar Triton One.R speakers.

My armchair research has identified e.g. the following phono stages in a reasonable $1000 - $1600 (depending on which and demo/used vs. new):

• KTE LCR-1 MK5 / MK5S (hard to find)
  • MUSIC HALL Analogue A3 Vacuum Tube Phono Preamplifier
  • Sutherland Engineering Insight LPS
  • Sutherland TZ VIBE (with its intriguing transimpedance concept)
  • Project Phono Box RS2 MM/MC Phono
  • Hagerman Audio Labs Trumpet MC (many positive reviews, with comments that it would benefit from an updated external power supply which, if so, would add additional $$)

Any recommendations or insights into these, or others in my price range, given my surrounding equipment would be greatly appreciated!

128x128bimmerlover

I may be wrong, but I can’t believe the Project Phono Box would be an audible improvement over the Vincent, which I also own. I agree, it’s not amazing but it still beats out several internals I’ve tried over the years. Overall, I think you might need to bump the budget to get an “upgrade” as opposed to a lateral move. That said, I have a couple friends who swear by the Gold Note PH-10, if you want to kick in a few extra bucks.

I can also say, I currently use the Softone Model4 (http://softone.a.la9.jp/english/Model4/m4-1.htm) which I think is a steal for $650. Sounds a lot better than the Vincent. Single tube stage. Absolutely beautiful with the LOMC. Sometimes increased cost doesn’t equate to better performance.

I have a Project and upgraded to an Allnic H-1201 used at your price point and it was a massive upgrade.

Yeah, I was gonna recommend a used Herron VTPH or Allnic H1201 as either should be a substantial upgrade.  Best of luck. 

Moon LP 5.3 might be worth a look. Their new $2.3K 310 LP is based on this model. Can be found for less than $1k.  

@jbuhl Thanks - that’s a good suggestion. I found a lightly used Moon 310LP for less than $1k.

Post removed 

Gold Note, PH-10 is a very versatile piece & plays great with both tube and SS power/pre packages 

$1500 + - was also my phono stage budget. I found a pre-owned Manley Chinook Upscale Audio Ed. for $1595. It was the best money I have spent on my analog set up. If you want solid state +1 on the Hegel V10. I went partners with a friend on one. We paid $1100 pre-owned. It’s a good, honest phono stage that punches above its weight. 

Be careful on the trans impedance plan. I sold an Insight and replaced with a Little Loco. It was not an improvement with my VPI Shyla cart (AT Art 9). For TI to shine you need a very LO MC with very low output impedance…below 6 ohms. I’d highly recommend a Sutherland Insight (about $1400 new). I also went to a Manley Chinook and love it, but it was $2300 used. The deal above is the stuff of internet lore. Don’t expect to find one anywhere near that price.

I second the Gold Note PH-10.   In the future, you can add the external PSU-10 power supply as an upgrade.

Hello, I would stay away from the transimpedence. The sound is a little linear. Great for very low output carts. I like the Hegel V10 due to it having  a linear power supply, having balanced outputs, and a good amount of gain. Used is well under your budget. But in the end the best that money can buy used. Especially the Herron. 

I’ve owned a lot of phono preamps including the Sutherland TZ Vibe, Hegel V10, Ray Samuels Emmeline XR-2, Vincent PHO-8 and 701. I’m currently using a Modwright PH 9.0XT.

The Modwright PH 9.0XT is the best I’ve ever used and no plans to upgrade any further. It’s end game for me. It’s also much higher than your price range.

The Ray Samuels XR-2 was great and around $1,200.00. I still own it and it is the new 2023 model with upgraded Sparkos SS3601 Op Amps. It was my favorite out of all the preamps I’ve owned until the Modwright. It has a separate power supply and well built.

I’d be willing to sell the XR-2 if you’re interested. Send me a PM.

Check out the Darlington Labs MP8B. It will work with low output moving coils and has an upgraded power supply. I have the MP7 which sounds great with my moving magnet pickups. It seems to be customizable for any coil and setup you have. Of course you need good vision and some dexterity to adjust the dip switches

For me, vinyl sounds much more alive with tubes than it does with transistors. I would highly recommend looking at the Don Sachs phono preamp. Adding an internal SUT for your cart would push just over budget but worth saving the extra couple $ for. These do pop up on the used market a bit as well.

Don Sachs Phono Preamp

Now, if you happen to be handy with a soldering iron and want to build a simple kit, the same basic design is sold through Tubes4HiFi at a small price of $800 as a kit, or $1150 assembled. No premium parts yet like the Don Sachs, but a fantastic starting point. Also have cost effective SUT available to go with.

Tubes4HiFi kit

I went the kit route, went over the top on a lot of parts and full DIY chassis, and I think I’m still just around the $2k mark. I did document a few things with some final photos and impressions on Audiocircle. Lloyd’s build thread So yeah, you can have a very good affordable unit that plays right up there with a Manley or Modwright any day, and you could tune your build parts however you see fit.

Hope you find something fun that keeps your toes tapping.

-Lloyd

I'm very happy with the Parasound JC3 Jr. Robust power supply, well shielded internals, balanced outs, highly adjustable. Dead quiet background, great sound quality and dynamics in my system. 

Lloyd, been looking at the PH-16 kit, but waiting on figuring out what turntable I'm going to get. Already have a pair of the M-125 monoblocks I built and the SP-14 Preamp. Very happy now that I solved a ground loop issue. Been fun building my own equipment. 

If don't mind the form factor, The iFi Phono 3 Black Label is an amazing sounding phono stage.

+1 for the Manley Chinook, which can be found within your budget if you're patient. I've recently acquired a used recent example, not an Upscale version, and it's fantastic--quiet as could be, a soundstage that's wide, deep, high and precise with realistic sized instruments and in-the-room images of voices. I'd driving it with a Grado Reference3 on a Well Tempered Classic, into a Mod Squad Line Drive, then MC60s and QUAD ESL63s.

+1 for the Manley Chinook, which can be found within your budget if you're patient. I've recently acquired a used recent example, not an Upscale version, and it's fantastic--quiet as could be, a soundstage that's wide, deep, high and precise with realistic sized instruments and in-the-room images of voices. I'd driving it with a Grado Reference3 on a Well Tempered Classic, into a Mod Squad Line Drive, then MC60s and QUAD ESL63s.

I also currently run a Modwright PH 9.0XT but prior to that I used an E.A.T E-Glo Petit that was terrific and usually available used for around $1k. I could have easily lived with the E-Glo but got a good deal on the Modwright, which is an end game product for me. It's definitely better, but not by as much as you'd think given the price difference.

Lot’s of great suggestions here, only chiming in as another GoldNote PH-10 owner. It does require the LPS to get the best out of it but it’s very good and I’ve spoken with several dealers/distributors other than the guy I bought of from who say it’s tough to beat unless you spend double the money.

I would also add I take advantage of its balanced output which I find is quieter and has cleaner, higher output which I don’t think you can leverage with your pre. Not that that should be a deal killer.

@katzenjammer27 

Off topic with this discussion, but how did you fix the ground loop issue?

I built an SP14 and am having ground issues.

13 pages of discussion on DIYAudio, and still the hum persists…

Thanks!

@kennyc I did, thanks for asking! A Moon 310LP in 9/10 condition for less than $900. Figured that’s not a deal to pass on.

And if for some reason the Moon is not ending up ringing my bell, there are so many other great recommendations in this thread to pursue.

Really impressed and appreciate the high level of knowledge and engagement in this group! Much grateful. 

Perkri,

my system had one amp plugged into an outlet with the pre-amp and the other amp across the room into another outlet. The amp that was across the room was making the 60 Hz cycle sound, pretty loud at pauses between songs. I disconnected from the pre-amp and no buzz. switched channels...you know go through the gambit of isolating the source. The answer was that the power chord is grounded, three prong, so is the other amp and the pre-amp. I bought two converters that eliminate the ground - three prong to two prong and all the buzz went away. I left the pre-amp grounded. Apparently the grounding was traveling through the source cables back to the pre-amp and causing the cycling noise.

Hopefully this helps, but if not Tubes 4 Hifi - Roy Mottram [email protected] can help you nail it down. If it's an amp issue, Joe Servini (think that's his last name) [email protected] is awesome. Had to send my amps to him because I couldn't figure out why they were sounding so lean. Joe went through it and found that the factory coloring on the transformer wires were incorrect and didn't match the instructions from the kit. Amazing it didn't melt down. It's now up and running for a few years and sounds better and better as the caps smooth out. have about 500 hours on it and now issues at all.

good luck, I've heard stories about the ground loop being caused by a coffee maker plugged into a wall outlet in a different room.