Looking for phono preamp advice in the $1000 - $1600 range

I am thinking of upgrading my current Vincent PHO-701 hybrid phono stage to something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and still would make a meaningful improvement.

The chain I have now is Rega P8 with Hana SL LOMC cart, the Vincent phono stage, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium (tube) preamp, McIntosh MC312 (solid state) power amp, and GoldenEar Triton One.R speakers.

My armchair research has identified e.g. the following phono stages in a reasonable $1000 - $1600 (depending on which and demo/used vs. new):

• KTE LCR-1 MK5 / MK5S (hard to find)
  • MUSIC HALL Analogue A3 Vacuum Tube Phono Preamplifier
  • Sutherland Engineering Insight LPS
  • Sutherland TZ VIBE (with its intriguing transimpedance concept)
  • Project Phono Box RS2 MM/MC Phono
  • Hagerman Audio Labs Trumpet MC (many positive reviews, with comments that it would benefit from an updated external power supply which, if so, would add additional $$)

Any recommendations or insights into these, or others in my price range, given my surrounding equipment would be greatly appreciated!

128x128bimmerlover

I'm very happy with the Parasound JC3 Jr. Robust power supply, well shielded internals, balanced outs, highly adjustable. Dead quiet background, great sound quality and dynamics in my system. 

Lloyd, been looking at the PH-16 kit, but waiting on figuring out what turntable I'm going to get. Already have a pair of the M-125 monoblocks I built and the SP-14 Preamp. Very happy now that I solved a ground loop issue. Been fun building my own equipment. 

If don't mind the form factor, The iFi Phono 3 Black Label is an amazing sounding phono stage.

+1 for the Manley Chinook, which can be found within your budget if you're patient. I've recently acquired a used recent example, not an Upscale version, and it's fantastic--quiet as could be, a soundstage that's wide, deep, high and precise with realistic sized instruments and in-the-room images of voices. I'd driving it with a Grado Reference3 on a Well Tempered Classic, into a Mod Squad Line Drive, then MC60s and QUAD ESL63s.