Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I'm streaming Huston Person and Ron Carter as I type. "Now's the Time/Something In Common"

Love it.

What upset me was that you seem to say that Billie's rough life helped her as a singer. Like being a prostitute at age 14, and being a drug addict, gives you 'soul' and 'passion' in your music. All BS, of course.

Rok, who made the statement that upset you? Certainly wasn't me or Mary_jo.

We only made statements regarding your statement about her voice crackling.

Society at large or whoever put her in jail, said she was a Black Ho who needed to be in jail. But we never said anything like that.

Just as "Muddy Waters" and "Albert King's" suffering with injustice in Mississippi comes through in their songs. Her pain came through as well; she didn't have to dredge up the pain, because it was part of her, the same as her skin.

The invisible giant in the room is "racism".

Alex, you are to be commended for continuing to post excellent forgotten or little known players.  Of all the ones that you have posted here Don Sleet is possibly my favorite so far.  Very nice player.  Reminds me a little of Blue Mitchell.  And what a lineup on those recordings!  Great rhythm section.  One of the most interesting things about those clips, aside from Sleet’s fine playing is the shades of Coltrane in Jimmy Heath’s playing; particularly on “Secret Love”.  That was recorded in 1961, probably at the peak of Coltrane’s notoriety so not terribly surprising from that standpoint; but I had never heard so much Trane in any of Jimmy Heath’s recordings before.  Thanks for the clips.  Very nice!

I think I should have been more silent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKt7DTKyJU

rok, I’ve written down ’this is not a lecture from me to you...’ precisely because I don’t want you to see me as someone who knows so little in jazz but gives you a preach about Bille. But somehow even this upsets you again...what a man...

Anyway, thank you for the link, I have read it, long time ago...

acman3, thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oh-Dl-KbF0
**** I think I should have been more silent... ****

No!!! Not at all.

mary_jo, as you are finding folks here are very passionate about music and it’s history and sometimes stubborn with our opinions. It is one of the beauties of great art that it inspires such strong feelings. Combine that fact with the imperfection in the written word’s ability to accurately express our thoughts and opinions (also an art) and it is easy to see how and why heated arguments can ensue; something that we thread veterans know much about. Sometimes only through heated debate can the road from opinion to fact become a little clearer....sometimes. At the very least there can be a bit of humor in it all.

So, don’t hold back. This recent bit of friction is very mild....trust me. I like your style and appreciate that you have a feeling for “continuity” in your posts. That kind of mental process is, after all, the way that a good jazz player creates a great jazz solo. I will say, however, that either by design or by innocence your choice of music to suggest “silence” is a particularly controversial (appropriate?) one due to, once again, the all-important “context”. If that last sentence is too cryptic, I have no doubt that your friend and veteran Alex can explain 😉

Very nice Blue Mitchell; thanks! And, very nice continuity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4

Post removed 
Post removed 
Post removed 
Today's Magic:

Rene Marie -- SOUND OF RED
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ64fMe0Xh4&list=RDoJ64fMe0Xh4

@frogman, To what, does 'The Sound of Red' refer.

Cheers
@orpheus10 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4rXEKtC8iY

Cheers

Rok, "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"; I felt like that was my theme song in 66 because of the way the fickle finger of fate kept running through my life.

Have you ever heard of the "Philly Dog", the dance that was done to that tune? Somebody in the audience yelled out, "Do the California Dog!"; that was in reference to the dance that was done to the tune when they were in California. That happened at about 3:46.

Thank you Frogman for adding equanimity to our recent posts. (mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation.) "she accepted both the good and the bad with equanimity"

Rok, those tunes go together like beans and cornbread. (that's a southern reference in case you don't get it)

You're at the top of your game today, and when those tunes came out I was at the top of my game.

Keep em coming.
@ps

Agree with you about Esbjorn Svensson. There might, however, be some consolation in the music of Magnus Ostrom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SinHjKx4rh4

as well as that of Lars Danielsson.
@ghosthouse :

+1 - I’ve got playlists for both. :) . There are so many knockout trios coming out of Europe and elsewhere.

Also especially taken with Eri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbTWbnnmuQg

This guy from Finland, Joona Toivanen can make my day.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqAnB3CMxzY

**** To what, does ’The Sound of Red’ refer. ****

Rok, I don’t know this for a fact, but I would bet that Renee Marie is a Buddhist.

In Buddhism there is a concept called “chakra”. A chakra is believed to be an “energy center” in the body; there are several. One of the ideas behind the concept of “chakra” is the association of a chakra with a specific color. Additionally, there is a neurological phenomenon called “Chromesthesia” (or, more generally, “Synesthesia”) which causes some individuals to experience sounds as specific colors. This is not entirely quackery and is well studied and documented. The famous composer Alexander Scriabin devised a scheme associating specific notes to specific colors which he used in some of his compositions. Interestingly, the song “The Sound Of Red” is in the key of Bb (B flat). In Scriabin’s note/color scheme Bb corresponds with the color “Rose”. Coincidence?

Lastly, I mentioned that I had briefly chatted with Renee Marie when my wife and I went to see her. The CD that she signed for my wife was signed “With Joy, Renee Marie”. “Joy” is a term very commonly used in Buddhism and one of the four “sublime attitudes”. O-10, another of those four is....”equanimity”.

In case anyone is wondering, I dated a Buddhist all through colloge. Didn’t work out too well.

okay! @ps 

Don't know either of the musicians you mention so will have to check them out.  Thanks.

Alex, my review of the records you posted is coming; I just haven't had a chance to give them a critical listen. Although I'm usually familiar with the artists, those particular records are new to me, and occasionally, so is the artist.

Keep em coming

Rok, and Frogman, someone asked her "What is the sound of red?" and her answer was a Zen kind of answer; like, what is the sound of one hand clapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrWs--Ay62U
O-10,  well that was certainly a less complicated answer....”Yes”.  I still think she’s a Buddhist.  Buddhism, Zen; you know...that stuff 🤔
Maybe it has something to do with the saying, "paint the town red".

Lizz Wright is also doing something not usually done, reclaiming Blacks folks rightful place as Southerners.   Maybe the most Southern of all Americans.

Cheers

I stated that I couldn't find any new music, but maybe I was wrong. Ahmad Jamal's music requires that you "listen", not just put the album on while you're thinking about something else, and "Marseille" is just such an album.

This is what "All About Jazz" had to say;

It's well-known that Miles Davis was a fan of Jamal's and admitted to being influenced by the pianist. Miles and Jamal became friends in the 1950s and Davis recorded Jamal's "Ahmad's Blues" on Workin' and "New Rhumba" on Miles Ahead. So on one level, it's not too surprising that on "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" Jamal includes a funky quote from Davis's "Jean Pierre" from We Want Miles, released in 1982. But on another level the inclusion of this vamp, which bookends the track, demonstrates how versatile is Jamal's approach, and how a standard can be completely transformed so seamlessly, it has been released on CD and double vinyl.

I highly recommend this album.

Frogman, when I saw your 4’33" link and the video from Alex, I thought for a sec that my speakers went crazy. ;) You two gave me huge laugh though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfsmmk93H3I

And yes, I am perfectly aware of the fact that intense debate can improve the entire communication and boost everyone’s creativity so do not worry about that. I just do not want to ’hurt’ anybody in the process. :-)

Also, thank you for your words of support, you have so soft and gentle touch in your expressions, as if you play music along. This is you talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldTIXsCXJhc

Few posts before, you have written something what I find very important and what is not to be missed.

„Do an artist’s personal controversies diminish the art?“

Smart people say that an artist personal controversies should not diminish it’s work as long as the work itself does not reflect the possible bad character of an artist or as long as the work itself does not contain the amoral or similar stuff which could be found in the life of an artist. This obviously means that the work of an art can stand for itself and exist almost as a non material human being with it’s own ’life’ that is completely separated from it’s creator.

But still, if you observe things on extreme examples (mild ones are easy to handle), would you think the same? If I take Hitler for instance, could I admire his paintings even if I am aware of his monstrosity at the same time? Certainly not.

Back to music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDMQqDUtv4

„Tryin’ to make it real, compared to what? C’mon baby!“

Wish you all nice day...

Irony of ironies Mary_jo; I don't guess you knew that you posted one of Rok's most favorite tunes?  Compared to What.
Very nice!!  Dig the people working in the kitchen.   They seem oblivious to the entire thing. :)  She comes across as a genuinely nice person.   This is at homeless shelter type place.   What a thoughtful thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUsgnI78VXw

Cheers
rok, I was driving to an audio club gathering Sunday morning when I heard "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" on my favored FM jazz station on the car radio and thought I should post a link later as it seemed to fit so well with recent discussions here.  But I was away all day so very pleased to see you had the same idea.

Now, not to continue thumping on the deceased equine but I need to comment on o10's calling "you seem to say that Billie's rough life helped her as a singer." as "BS".  I wouldn't say "helped her" but I have little doubt her "rough" experiences had a huge impact on her adult personality, sensitivity, and general perspective on life.  And that must have come out in the ways she expressed herself in her singing.  That is not to suggest she would not have been successful and admired had she not be introduced into prostitution for example, only that that experience added to who she was so became an element of her emotions and sensitivities later in life. 

On another subject, o10 you suggest a question I don't remember asking myself.  Did Miles and Jamal ever record or perform together?  I'm not aware if they did.  If not, a little surprising if they were good friends.

@p

***** I wouldn't say "helped her" but I have little doubt her "rough" experiences had a huge impact on her adult personality, sensitivity, and general perspective on life.  And that must have come out in the ways she expressed herself in her singing.*****

I agree.   We are all products of our environment and life experiences.   Well said.

Cheers            

I never said her rough life helped her. I posted how she was regarded at 14 by the establishment.

Miles sister lived in Chicago, and he visited her during the Christmas Holidays, while Ahmad was there at the Pershing lounge, plus Chicago was Ahmad's home base. I saw him in Chicago.

I don't think they ever played together, but I'm almost certain they met informally.

I saw Ahmad in Chicago in the late 80's, and his drummer Frank Gant told me they had tickets to Japan, and that they could not make a living without Japan, and Europe. At that time, I didn't know this was so.

"Marseille", the title track is afforded three different versions, the first being a mesmeric modally-inspired instrumental foray. The title is also a paean to a country that has enthusiastically supported Jamal throughout his long career culminating in the French government awarding him the prestigious Chevalier De L'Ordre Des Arts Et De Lettres in 2007. The album itself was recorded in Malakoff, a suburb on the outskirts of Paris.

Evidently he's still enjoying France and Europe.
o10, we seem to be at a misunderstanding so I'll hope to clear the air before it continues any further.

"I never said her rough life helped her."  And I wasn't suggesting you did say that.  But I was reacting to your comment, "What upset me was that you seem to say that Billie's rough life helped her as a singer. Like being a prostitute at age 14, and being a drug addict, gives you 'soul' and 'passion' in your music. All BS, of course." 

Right or wrong, I read that as saying you consider any suggestion for her early rough life to have aided/contributed to her development as a singer to be BS.  Knowing a little about your knowledge and sensitivities from readings here that surprised me.
Let me clear up the confusion.  The statement you attribute to O-10, was actually posted by me.   O-10 re-posted it, as a reference, and forgot to put it in ***  or """ marks, so it seemed as if he was making the statement for the first time.

I originally got upset because the Jazz Queen from Croatia posted words to the effect that she "didn't care one bit as to the quality of Billie's voice", without having any idea as to why her voice, and health in general, had  deteriorated so early in her life.   We were not giving an objective critique of her voice, but speaking of it as an indication of her troubled life.   In that sense, I do care why she sounds as she does.

Hope this clears it up.  O-10 is innocent.  This time.

Cheers

Rok, we're both guilty in regard to how we accepted her voice; I pointed out to you the years to avoid because her voice had gone bad, and they had pretty pictures and CD to cover it up.

Here's something that sounds interesting: "Classic Savoy Be-Bop Sessions". Before I go through this, I need to know is anyone really interested in Be-Bop?

"Bird" seems to be the one who turns me on the most, and I've got him. They claim the sound improvements are enough to get this set.

Get back to me on this.
Everyone, worthy of being called an aficionado is interested in Be-bop.   There is pre-bebop, Bebop, and then a sea of noise.

I have the Bird Savoy recordings on LP.   Which means I can't listen to them without  investing in a turntable and all the nonsense that goes with that.   I notice that items that used to cost a few bucks, back in the day of Dual and Thorens, now cost hundreds.   What's an Audiophile to do?

For some reason, Bird and Dizzy, were never among my favorites.   I have their music, but seldom listen to it.

Cheers

You do realize the 10 CD set from Mosiac costs 180 dollars, U.S.!!!

But it includes more than just Bird.   I have always wanted to buy a Mosiac set.   I will have to research this.   Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

orpheus: "Irony of ironies Mary_jo; I don’t guess you knew that you posted one of Rok’s most favorite tunes? Compared to What."

Indeed an irony because I didn’t have a clue. Otherwise I would not post it.

Nice title Rok gave me. Jazz Queen of Croatia. I am impressed.
After few days of conversation he decides to clear the confusion. Wow. The confusion that he started in the first place. What a man.

Clearly I was not trying to mock of Billie and if it sounded like that, I could have been asked to clear the things.

The defense rests it’s case.

rok, many thanks for clearing that up.  I must have missed your original comment so obviously attributed it to o10.  Anyway, the air is now clear so I trust all are happy.  

Regarding Parker, for anyone who may not have many of his recordings (or none yet) this concert is considered by many jazzbos to be one of the most important.  There is an underlying story about confusion with his name due to recording contract disputes.  This is the album I have from this classic event (it's less than $180!) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlQ_0fKH_8&list=PL3V0wfpNp_6RctFzcapBqpesR5i3v1QPd
@pryso :

I have that Cd also.   Great tune and personnel lineup, but uneven recording quality.  "All The Things You Are" is totally messed up.

I always got the feeling that Bird and Dizzy felt their primary mission was to 'sell' Bebop to their peers and the Jazz public.   I felt as if most of their recordings were exhibitions or demonstrations.  

Cheers
Since the door of judgment re what determines worthiness to be called a true jazz aficionado has been flung wide open, I will walk right in.  More than anything, and short of total unlistenability, should be the ability to listen to and at least appreciate a great performance regardless of recording quality.  IMO.

No Rok, I didn't realize it cost $180. I bought records from Mosaic before they became so expensive. The problem with Mosaic is always the same; too much, first and second takes, plus stuff they could have left in the vault; but for the connoisseur, there can never be too much of his favorite artist.

Glad you brought that to my attention.