Aurender N150 vs N200

Wondering which one I should do as my first streamer. I.e. how much better is the N200? I was thinking N200 at first, to just do this once, but now thinking (more responsibly), N150 would be good enough for my first.

The rest of the system:

• DAC -- Denafrips Pontus II
  • Pre -- ARC Ref 5se
  • Amp -- Art Audio Px-25
  • Speakers -- Blumenhofer Genuin FS2
saulh

There is a comparison chart on their site.  My thinking was the same ,   The N200 has a lot more in terms of power supply, isolation, etc    I’m sure the 150 is awesome but I think it only has USB and doesn’t have the un-interruptible PS.  

What does piss me off is the 150 has power meters and for some reason they were not included on the 200.  It was a feature in all of the press releases and on their site at one point.     When i questioned this I got some BS reason about meter tracking accuracy …. C’mon that is a lame excuse. Who cares ? They look cool. Every product in the line up has them but the N200.  That is BS . 

That aside the build quality is really high end.  Nothing feels cheap about them.   They are sweet.   Support is top notch.   I had a few things that bugged me about Conductor 3 but all of those issues are fixed with Android users.   

Overall I am glad I got the N200.  I guess if your other gear is in the same price tier it makes sense to get the 200.    I have a great sounding DAC and if I do upgrade it down the road the N200 will not be outclassed by its replacement.  

@saulh no idea how N150 sounds. I think you have a weak link there and it’s your DAC. I think it’s out of its league there. The streamer will definitely improve the sound but that bottleneck will remain. 

I agree with @audphile1. If you get N200 now, you should look into upgrading your DAC down the road. If you get N150 now, it will likely commensurate well with your Pontus II. 

Is N150 good enough for your first streamer, the answer is YES! 

With the level of components you have I would get the N200 and upgrade the DAC to a similar level.  The Pontus II is a great DAC (I have one with a Hermes DDC) but I believe @audphile1 and @lalitk are correct about it being a bottleneck relative to your gear.

There's an N200 for sale used from The Music Room here for not much more than a new N150:

I agree N200 then a great DAC, not a lateral move but significantly better and you will be all set for a while

@jastralfu 

TMR sold one in black about 10 days ago. Setup an alert in HiFi Shark and grab the next one shows up in black. 

Given your system N20… but if you can only afford the N200 now… definitely the N200.

@saulh 

I  agree with the advice that has been offered to you here. Your DAC is a nice unit but I do think it is a step below your excellent ARC REF 5SE preamp/Art Audio SET amp/speakers. If I were in your shoes I would get the Aurender N200 and at some later point a higher level DAC.

Charles

I sent an email to Aurender earlier this year, when I was auditioning different units I had borrowed (N150 and N10); and wanted an opinion versus the N200......I too have a Denafrips Pontus II. Their general guidance was that the N150 would not be my long term solution, and the N10 and N200 would grow with my system and not be outclassed.

In my system the N150 was a noticeable improvement on my current set-up (BS Node 130/LHY LPS/Iris DDC, but not enough for me to want to upgrade immediately.

The N10 was another beast altogether, it just transformed everything to such an exciting level and made me realize that streaming is my future source material. At that time I also realized that I will be spending much more on a streamer than I initially thought, but I am okay with that......if I can have that level of SQ. Personally I think I'll end up with an Aurender N20, but I'm keeping an open mind on Lumin and Innous.....I just have never had them in my system.

Just looking around today, a used N200 can be had about $4,300 and an N20 for about $8,000.

@vthokie83 The Aurender N100H was my first foray into server/streaming and it was impressive - esp at the price.

We recently added the N20 as our reference digital transport and, with the HiDiamond P4 power cord, the sound is amazing in both audiophile and musical attributes. 

Listening to (dry) tracks burned direct from the raw studio master tape is a revelation.

That said, the P4 power cord made a significant contribution and, as a disclosure, we are now the US distributor of HiDiamond.

N20? You can't go wrong with that investment...and it includes "Vtuner" - a nice bonus feature. Additionally, Ari provides world class support and is one of the good guys in this industry!

Jim Ricketts/tmhaudio

@saulh I am an authorized Aurender dealer and was just on another thread where the OP was contemplating between an Aurender N150 and N200. Given his current components, I provided guidance for him to start with the N150.

Given your current components, the N200 is a more fitting streamer. The N150 is a very admirable entry level streamer and a higher performer than many other competitors at its price point (Lumin, Innuos). The N200 however has a significantly better linear power supply and clocking architecture that will result in a wider, deeper and more holographic soundstage with a lower noise floor. The image will snap as well more due to its improved timing. And the best part is, you have great taste in components and speakers that are resolving enough to take advantage of the performance gains evident in the N200.

The point that others have made is the N200 is the better streamer, and yes one day your Pontus II DAC may need an upgrade. But that is the good news, not bad. The fact that the N200 will better your DAC at some point, means you can upgrade the other components and the N200 still not be outclassed.

How bad would it be to get the N150, then upgrade your DAC, and find that the recently purchased N150 is now the weakest link? IMO you should be looking at a used N200 ($4,200ish several places) or an N10 (which can be purchased new at Upscale Audio for $4,699 right now).

If I had the cash, I'd pick up the Upscale N10 right now. That model was a revelation when I borrowed one and had it in my system for about 6 weeks, and yes I also have a Pontus II DAC......which I did NOT feel was the weakest link at that time.

@vthokie83 The N10 is sonically very close to the N200, with the N200 being a bit more detailed. The challenge with the N10 is that it is quite a dated unit, and at this point Aurender is not supporting it with upgrades anymore. It is on a completely different chipset vs the new generation (ARM vs Intel), so it is difficult to manage both architectures. As of a few months ago, Roon became certified on Aurender, so now Aurender units can act as a Roon endpoint. This is a feature that is not available on the N10, and I am aware that Aurender has additional third party integrations in the works.

Also, I mention it in other threads, but to make sure I communicate openly, Aurender has a non-transferable warranty. This means if you buy used and experience issues, you will likely be paying for service and repair. For most electronics and speakers, I love the used market. For Aurender, I find the warranty to be worth it. It is a sophisticated computer, and who hasn’t had an issue with their computer at some point?

For the most part Aurender is very stable, but I’ve had a few customers that are very glad they bought it new.

blisshifi,

Thank you for the information, and I understand the warranty information. However having had the N200 and N10 here at the same time, I will say that in my system (with my equipment which includes a Denafrips Pontus II), the N10 outclassed even the N200. I could live forever with the N200, but the N10 was superior in my system, with my components, in my room. I will probably try to buy an N20 next year when I have the funds, but if not I would LOVE to have an N200 right now.

“Aurender units can act as a Roon endpoint”

@blisshifi

Happy New Year! Does this mean you need another ‘box’ to run ROON Core?

@vthokie83 Yes, opinion is split on which is better, N200 and N10, depending on the priorities (resolution vs tonal density, etc). Unfortunately, I don’t know what is in the works in terms of third party apps, and if I did, I probably wouldn’t be allowed to share it. 

@lalitk Yes, the Aurender is not a Roon core, so at this time another box is still required to run as a core. But you should already be able to go to your Aurender app and enable Roon under Streaming settings. 

I’m surprised that people report significant increases in performance using the N200 vs. N150 with a Pontus or similar quality DAC. I’d venture a guess and say they probably have not tried it. I own the Pontus II paired with a N150. I also own a N200 paired with a Terminator Plus (upgraded from an original Terminator) in another system. I have tried the N200 with my Pontus and while there is an improvement over the N150, the improvement is marginal. I have not tried the same comparison using other DAC’s. All of the components discussed here are imo tremendous performers and values in their respective classes. However, unless the OP is planning a significant step up in DAC’s, like others in this and other threads have previously reported, it is also my opinion that the N150 with a Pontus II is much more sensible pairing in this case and significantly better value.

@ghdprentice Thanks! I got a bit busy with life for a while and haven’t been on the forums much in the last quarter, but in trying to get myself back regularly once again. :)

“the Aurender is not a Roon core”
@blisshifi

That, right there is a deal breaker! I won’t bother with off the shelf PC or laptop to run Roon core with Aurender. That kinda defeats the purpose and goes against the very principles Aurender built upon, i.e. to keep the noise floor as low as possible.

@lalitk Well, like I said, they do have some other integrations in the works. I’m not sure what that means but I’m looking forward to them.

Speaking of Roon cores, I will have a Synergistic Research Voodoo streamer/server coming around end of month to compare to the Aurender units I have on my floor. You can be sure to hear from me next month when I have it up and running.

I wont give too much away yet and will start another thread in a few days, but I also received the new Aurender AP20 integrated for my floor. I’ll evaluate in detail, but all I will say for now is “WOW!”. :)

@blisshifi

The AP20 is a great alternative for anyone considering a one box digital front end that does everything exceptionally well. If I ever downsize from my current 5 box digital front end monstrosity or build a 2nd system; the AP20 + MC10 would be my first and last choice.

I have tested quite a few ROON options and came away disappointed. It is my belief, unless you step up to Taiko/Pink Faun level, ROON sound quality remained a step or two behind the Conductor App.

@lalitk Yes, in short if I ever had to close down my dealership and downsize everything, I'd likely sell most of my components and just stick with the AP20. That's how impressed I am with it. But more to come later.

Lackluster Roon core options and implementations are precisely why I've stayed with Aurender, but the Synergistic Research Voodoo server looks promising, and SR claims it will best the Taiko at half the price. Since I'm a dealer for both brands, I'll be evaluating the Voodoo directly against the Aurender N30SA and will be honest about my findings.

“I’ll be evaluating the Voodoo directly against the Aurender N30SA and will be honest about my findings.”
@blisshifi

Looking forward to your review! Just read this off SR website 🤣

“For the highest possible digital audio quality, use one Voodoo unit as the core and another as the bridge, allowing each unit to focus on their respective functions separately. This setup enhances the overall performance by dedicating each server to a specific task within the digital audio playback process.”

Luckily I will have two. :) I’ll evaluate it on its own and will compare experiences to the two box approach.