Aurender N150 vs N200

Wondering which one I should do as my first streamer. I.e. how much better is the N200? I was thinking N200 at first, to just do this once, but now thinking (more responsibly), N150 would be good enough for my first.

The rest of the system:

• DAC -- Denafrips Pontus II
  • Pre -- ARC Ref 5se
  • Amp -- Art Audio Px-25
  • Speakers -- Blumenhofer Genuin FS2
saulh

The point that others have made is the N200 is the better streamer, and yes one day your Pontus II DAC may need an upgrade. But that is the good news, not bad. The fact that the N200 will better your DAC at some point, means you can upgrade the other components and the N200 still not be outclassed.

How bad would it be to get the N150, then upgrade your DAC, and find that the recently purchased N150 is now the weakest link? IMO you should be looking at a used N200 ($4,200ish several places) or an N10 (which can be purchased new at Upscale Audio for $4,699 right now).

If I had the cash, I'd pick up the Upscale N10 right now. That model was a revelation when I borrowed one and had it in my system for about 6 weeks, and yes I also have a Pontus II DAC......which I did NOT feel was the weakest link at that time.

@vthokie83 The N10 is sonically very close to the N200, with the N200 being a bit more detailed. The challenge with the N10 is that it is quite a dated unit, and at this point Aurender is not supporting it with upgrades anymore. It is on a completely different chipset vs the new generation (ARM vs Intel), so it is difficult to manage both architectures. As of a few months ago, Roon became certified on Aurender, so now Aurender units can act as a Roon endpoint. This is a feature that is not available on the N10, and I am aware that Aurender has additional third party integrations in the works.

Also, I mention it in other threads, but to make sure I communicate openly, Aurender has a non-transferable warranty. This means if you buy used and experience issues, you will likely be paying for service and repair. For most electronics and speakers, I love the used market. For Aurender, I find the warranty to be worth it. It is a sophisticated computer, and who hasn’t had an issue with their computer at some point?

For the most part Aurender is very stable, but I’ve had a few customers that are very glad they bought it new.

blisshifi,

Thank you for the information, and I understand the warranty information. However having had the N200 and N10 here at the same time, I will say that in my system (with my equipment which includes a Denafrips Pontus II), the N10 outclassed even the N200. I could live forever with the N200, but the N10 was superior in my system, with my components, in my room. I will probably try to buy an N20 next year when I have the funds, but if not I would LOVE to have an N200 right now.

“Aurender units can act as a Roon endpoint”

@blisshifi

Happy New Year! Does this mean you need another ‘box’ to run ROON Core?