Is the Oppo-105 with Modwright modifications

As good as they say it is. I was talking to a dealer today and he said you can't have a state of the art product when you start with crap. He said the Saber DAC's were junk and I'd be wasting my money doing the Modwright upgrades. On the other hand I have heard people rave about it. What is your take on this player and the Modwright upgrades? Am I better off buying a high-end used CD player without a warranty. I like the Idea of a modded player but I don't want to be disappointed and take a big loss.
taters
Jfz, I'm not clear about what you are unclear about.

Srjan says the Modwright version is "Slightly soft on leading edges, image outlines and bass control. Dense. Generous. Relaxed. Midrange-y and even mildly bassy, i.e. very extended in the bass if not ultimately taut in the bottom octaves." Sounds like it is very tubey in an old fashioned sense!

This is definitely a complete opposite to most descriptions of the stock version.

Now, you may differ with what Srjan writes, but I wouldn't trade my stock Oppo 105 (which I think is terrific) for what Srjan describes. And I certainly would not pay $2300 for the privilege.
Fair enough, Melm. I have not heard the stock 105. What I was unclear about was the phrase "it changes the sound." I thought you were saying Srjan said or implied that.

Anyway, I had the 95 in my system, and have read all the comments I could find about about both the stock and modified versions of the 95 and 105 (over several months). The stock 95 was something I would never want to listen to again. And this was after playing it for at least 500 hours. Buying the modified 105 is one of the very best decisions I have ever made in 40 years of audio. In my system, it is clean, clear, open, airy, articulate, fast, tonality correct, does not have too much bass, has little things like great texture in the bass, etc. I hear absolutely nothing of what Srjan describes as negatives. Having said that, I have no doubt that "it" will sound different in anyone else's system, the quotes being there because it is really the system - and the room - we are hearing (and the synergy or lack thereof).

Just so I'm clear, I'm not arguing with you or Srjan. I’m just trying to express my experience clearly. By way of expressing even more clearly that I am enamored with the sound, I'll just add that I would have gladly paid more than $2300 ($3500 total) to get the sound I'm getting.
Does Modwright publish distortion data for its mods?

In its review of the Oppo 105 Audioholics writes:

"The balanced analog outputs were just stunningly excellent (.001% THD + N) measuring almost down to the noise floor of my test gear and this was despite the fact I was driving the player at 0dBFs (digital full scale). This is just superb performance.

Oppo specifies distortion as 0.0003% THD + N using a 24 bit signal at 1kHz with a 20kHz LPF. Our measurements were done full bandwidth with no LPF which is why our figures were a bit higher. Oppo confirmed our results using the exact same test equipment, test conditions and signals."

I know that measurements are not the whole game, but it's clearly part of the story.
So who has heard both a stock Oppo 105 AND a Modwright Oppo 105?

Please explain how they sound alike or different.

Is the modwright a definite "no doubt about it" upgrade or something less than that?
Since the 105 is a relatively new product, you may not find anyone who has heard the stock and modified versions. If you do some research, though, I think you will find a lot of comments made about Modwright's modifications of previous players.