Is the Oppo-105 with Modwright modifications

As good as they say it is. I was talking to a dealer today and he said you can't have a state of the art product when you start with crap. He said the Saber DAC's were junk and I'd be wasting my money doing the Modwright upgrades. On the other hand I have heard people rave about it. What is your take on this player and the Modwright upgrades? Am I better off buying a high-end used CD player without a warranty. I like the Idea of a modded player but I don't want to be disappointed and take a big loss.
taters

Showing 2 responses by dsper

So who has heard both a stock Oppo 105 AND a Modwright Oppo 105?

Please explain how they sound alike or different.

Is the modwright a definite "no doubt about it" upgrade or something less than that?
Okay,

I went with the Ric Schultz mods on my Oppo 105 and am quite pleased with the result.

I have had the opportunity to critically listen for only about ten hours and can tell you that Ric's mods have added a lot more detail and weight in my system. I suspect that the better detail in the bass helps to flesh things out and add the weight.

One telling sign of a good player is that when I play the music at low volume, it is all there. I seemed to want to play the stock Oppo 105 louder trying to hear more. That is no longer necessary with the Ric Schultz mods.

The modded 105 is as good, if not better, that the Esoteric SA-50 that I tried in an in house audition.

I figure that I am about $3,000 ahead going the modded Oppo 105 route.